• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who gets hired first?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Of course the kids or kids on every team have those expectations every year but, to keep yourself sane as a fan you know what reality is and isn't....at least you would hope so anyway. Maybe I worded my question wrong.  Of course long term you would like to see USF get into the NCAA tourney on most years at least.  Maybe compete for conference championships of course.  We both know that isn't happening anytime soon.  I think USF has been to 1 NCAA tourney and 20 plus years and has never won a conference championship in bball.  So that;s why I said you're going to be a disappointed fan for most years if those are your expectations each year.  I was just thinking would the fan base be happy if they consistently had a coach and team that consistently went to the NIT and occasional NCAA tourney as far as the short term goes..

realisticlly I think 1 NCAA tourney and maybe 1  NIT every 4 years should be our goal at this point.

Not sure I'd use the word 'goal' there. Goals aren't for fans, they're for teams/players and the goal for the team/players EVERY year should be making the NCAA's. Obviously not going to happen more often than not at this point but that should be the goal heading into the season.

that's my goal as a season ticket holder and donor. That's where I'd like the program that I help fund to be on a regular basis.

I feel that we have a vested interest in our programs and as such we should have goals for them. I don't expect UF, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville type returns but there is no reason why we shouldn't set realistic goals for our program. It's a return on our investment.

I believe donors and season ticket holders have a huge affect in a program attaining it's goals. do we as donors need to do more in order for our program to achieve these goals? possibly.

obviously the players/coaches goal is to go undefeated every year.

my goal as a donor/ticket holder is for the program I help fund to reach 1 NCAA and 1 NIT every 4 years.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Of course the kids or kids on every team have those expectations every year but, to keep yourself sane as a fan you know what reality is and isn't....at least you would hope so anyway. Maybe I worded my question wrong.  Of course long term you would like to see USF get into the NCAA tourney on most years at least.  Maybe compete for conference championships of course.  We both know that isn't happening anytime soon.  I think USF has been to 1 NCAA tourney and 20 plus years and has never won a conference championship in bball.  So that;s why I said you're going to be a disappointed fan for most years if those are your expectations each year.  I was just thinking would the fan base be happy if they consistently had a coach and team that consistently went to the NIT and occasional NCAA tourney as far as the short term goes..

realisticlly I think 1 NCAA tourney and maybe 1  NIT every 4 years should be our goal at this point.

Not sure I'd use the word 'goal' there. Goals aren't for fans, they're for teams/players and the goal for the team/players EVERY year should be making the NCAA's. Obviously not going to happen more often than not at this point but that should be the goal heading into the season.

that's my goal as a season ticket holder and donor. That's where I'd like the program that I help fund to be on a regular basis.

I feel that we have a vested interest in our programs and as such we should have goals for them. I don't expect UF, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville type returns but there is no reason why we shouldn't set realistic goals for our program. It's a return on our investment.

I believe donors and season ticket holders have a huge affect in a program attaining it's goals. do we as donors need to do more in order for our program to achieve these goals? possibly.

my goal as a donor/ticket holder is for the program I help fund to reach 1 NCAA and 1 NIT every 4 years.

Not ... going ... to ... do ... it

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

Good deal.  I just always wondered.  I think USF is in a tough spot for sure.  At least on the bball side of things.  There really is no history or tradition there.  So it's a tough job especially when Fball is probably what is going to get the most focus at the school.  Gonzaga, Butler.Wichita State type of programs that's really all their focus is on...bball.  So you can see the type of success they have.  USF along with UCF there doesn't seem to be much fandom or support when it comes to college ball....really the state of Florida as a whole.   I guess the Gators get decent support is really all I can think of.  Probably USF is a tough place to recruit to just because it's not like in Football where all of the talent is in your back yard. Just seems like USF is in a precarious spot as a bball program.  No reason they can't get to the NIT at least more consistently with the occasional NCAA trip though.  Hope it gets turned around.  Probably time for sure to let Heath go at this point.  Need a fresh start.  Seems like USF every year is thethe exact same team under him.

do what? argue semantics?

I understand you don't expect much for your dollars but I do.

I expect certain goals to be met whether it's atheltic programs, my kids grades, a contractor doing work on my house, etc.

these are all things I spend money on and I expect that certain goals be met. sorry if you aren't as demanding.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Good deal.  I just always wondered.  I think USF is in a tough spot for sure.  At least on the bball side of things.  There really is no history or tradition there.  So it's a tough job especially when Fball is probably what is going to get the most focus at the school.  Gonzaga, Butler.Wichita State type of programs that's really all their focus is on...bball.  So you can see the type of success they have.  USF along with UCF there doesn't seem to be much fandom or support when it comes to college ball....really the state of Florida as a whole.   I guess the Gators get decent support is really all I can think of.  Probably USF is a tough place to recruit to just because it's not like in Football where all of the talent is in your back yard. Just seems like USF is in a precarious spot as a bball program.  No reason they can't get to the NIT at least more consistently with the occasional NCAA trip though.  Hope it gets turned around.  Probably time for sure to let Heath go at this point.  Need a fresh start.  Seems like USF every year is thethe exact same team under him.

A tank of gas is all a head basketball coach needs. Over the last 2 years and most certainly the next 3 to 4, there is tremendous talent in the Tampa area and it's surrounding.

Again with those afraid to lose Stan(lmao) then he is going to need another extension for 1 or 2 more years, because he still has to recruit. Yes Heath has years left on his contract, but IF he's brought back he will be the #1 coach on the Hot Seat and a lame duck HC going into the 2014-15 season. CBS's Gary Parrish has already written an article about why Stan should be and deserves to be fired at the end of the season. CBS has a podcast talking about it as well. Opposing head coaches are going to hammer Heath in the recruiting wars making it extremely difficult to get some of these talented kids. What another extension will do is show that the university is still backing him 100% and not fire his ass anytime soon. Opposing coaches won't have as much ammo to use and this gives Heath a fair chance at getting some future talent knowing that even if he has another Heath type season he still won't be let go.

The time to get rid of Heath is soon approaching, or you keep him and risk it all with more mediocrity, more fans jumping off the wagon, and more loss revenues.

• Upvote 1

Gators never had success until mid 90's . fan support has never been all that great unless they are winning and playing tough opponents. honestly if we won we would draw just as well. no reason why we can't put together a decent team every so often like FSU or Miami. Heath's style might not work for some but it's the way the Gators are winning this year. it's the way michigan state has always played under Izzo. tough defense, rebound the ball, cause turnovers. ugly basketball.

Heath is fine. we are not a reload program. he made tourney 2 years ago. I expect him to be back in another 2 or so.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

MBB is a roller-coaster ride this year for sure, but at least there's a few highs. Stan will get benefit of the doubt, so AD definitely gets onboard first so I agree with BM & GA.

A tank of gas is all a head basketball coach needs. Over the last 2 years and most certainly the next 3 to 4, there is tremendous talent in the Tampa area and it's surrounding.

Again with those afraid to lose Stan(lmao) then he is going to need another extension for 1 or 2 more years, because he still has to recruit. Yes Heath has years left on his contract, but IF he's brought back he will be the #1 coach on the Hot Seat and a lame duck HC going into the 2014-15 season. CBS's Gary Parrish has already written an article about why Stan should be and deserves to be fired at the end of the season. CBS has a podcast talking about it as well. Opposing head coaches are going to hammer Heath in the recruiting wars making it extremely difficult to get some of these talented kids. What another extension will do is show that the university is still backing him 100% and not fire his ass anytime soon. Opposing coaches won't have as much ammo to use and this gives Heath a fair chance at getting some future talent knowing that even if he has another Heath type season he still won't be let go.

The time to get rid of Heath is soon approaching, or you keep him and risk it all with more mediocrity, more fans jumping off the wagon, and more loss revenues.

:rolleyes:  ... If you're going to continue this obsessive witch hunt, at least get your facts straight about the witch.

do what? argue semantics?

Yes ... in regards to your usage of "goal" in regards to this.

I understand you don't expect much for your dollars but I do.

I expect certain goals to be met whether it's atheltic programs, my kids grades, a contractor doing work on my house, etc.

these are all things I spend money on and I expect that certain goals be met. sorry if you aren't as demanding.

That has absolutely nothing to with our conversation here ... but I'm sure you'll drone on some more about it, anyway.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

If we had our pick of any coach currently on the market I'd go get Ben Howland. he's won five conference championships and went to three final fours. He was only fired at UCLA for not winning a national title-if he had he would still be there. I have to believe Howland would win games here in Tampa if we can land him.