• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stan Earning His Check

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

OK I'll bite and have some fun with it.

So this is what 1 win does... no wonder expectations are so low and as it doesn't take much to get an approval from the 20 USF fans that believe all is well, and the future is so bright under Heath. Haven't used this line in a while but this has to be one of the better jobs coaching jobs in America. Great area to leave in, a fan base that doesn't demand much(.500 means the same thing as 25 wins), newer facilities, and a great recruiting base where a tank of gas could land you a top 10-20 recruiting class.

For the sanity of some around here, I hope that over the next 15 years Stan can get his record to .500. That way he can have a statue built out front of the Athletic Dept

USF is at a good Cincinnati team, then at UCF which is a rival game despite the huge talent advantage in USF's favor. Still has UCONN twice and at UL left. Also at Houston and Rutgers which shouldn't be easy. It will be very impressive if the team can put together a long win streak, but I will wait to see what happens at Cincy before counting wins.

It is not just about the one win. If you can't see the foundation that is being built that you really don't understand college sports at all.

This is the first time I can ever recall that the team is built with better players for the future. In the past, when we did have some success it was usually built on the back of one or two players that finally matured during their senior season or a guy like Dojo who was our team then left.

Toward the end of the game, on tv, they showed last year's complete recruiting. I had forgotten that we still have Clayton and Zeigler coming in. Leday contributed last night. Hawkins is starting to come around. Pretty good young talent plus probably 2 more years of AC.

I would say that is a pretty good foundation.

Vega's been spewing the same crap since almost the day he followed Stan here. He never has had a clue about USF basketball and its' history ... and I'm not saying that Stan should get a lifetime contract but he should have at least a couple more years to see if he can build on that foundation.

And Ziegler and Clayton have been here, assuming being redshirted .... if I misinterpreted your comment about them, my bad.

As usual you're wrong again good buddy. I haven't been against Stan since almost Day1. I have nothing against the guy except that he's not a good HC, however good assistant coach and a good man, but just not a leader, motivator, and teacher. I have pulled for the guy to do well, still wish that he could, but it comes a time when you have to look at the evidence for what it is and the man has been a failure for years as a HC.

My whole thing with wanting Heath gone after the season is related to the future and recruiting talent in order to build as some around here say, for the future. The next 2 classes are key for Stan or the next HC. USF won't have a better opportunity to build a better then solid basketball program then what's in front of them. Strikeout on these next classes and it's going to be some lean times for Stan and then the next Coach.

Not a good head coach? Based on what? Do you have any understanding about what he inherited here when he took over?

You cannot simply dismiss the condition of the program that Heath took over, the condition of the facilities when he got here and ignore that he has lead the program to 2 20 win seasons, has earned Coach of the Year honors in the Big East and then state he is not a good head coach. Maybe not on par with Boeheim, Coach K or Pitino, but he is a good coach.

For the first time that I can recall, we have a chance to truly build a foundation of success for the long run. We have the key players all (with the exception of Rudd) with multiple years left to play and we have great facilities now.

I don't know that we can ever be a perennial or even a one time threat on the national scene, but I believe the stage is set to be relevant, on a consistent basis, in our conference.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

So this is what 1 win does... no wonder expectations are so low and as it doesn't take much to get an approval from the 20 USF fans that believe all is well, and the future is so bright under Heath. Haven't used this line in a while but this has to be one of the better jobs coaching jobs in America. Great area to leave in, a fan base that doesn't demand much(.500 means the same thing as 25 wins), newer facilities, and a great recruiting base where a tank of gas could land you a top 10-20 recruiting class.

For the sanity of some around here, I hope that over the next 15 years Stan can get his record to .500. That way he can have a statue built out front of the Athletic Dept

USF is at a good Cincinnati team, then at UCF which is a rival game despite the huge talent advantage in USF's favor. Still has UCONN twice and at UL left. Also at Houston and Rutgers which shouldn't be easy. It will be very impressive if the team can put together a long win streak, but I will wait to see what happens at Cincy before counting wins.

It is not just about the one win. If you can't see the foundation that is being built that you really don't understand college sports at all.

This is the first time I can ever recall that the team is built with better players for the future. In the past, when we did have some success it was usually built on the back of one or two players that finally matured during their senior season or a guy like Dojo who was our team then left.

Toward the end of the game, on tv, they showed last year's complete recruiting. I had forgotten that we still have Clayton and Zeigler coming in. Leday contributed last night. Hawkins is starting to come around. Pretty good young talent plus probably 2 more years of AC.

Vega's been spewing the same crap since almost the day he followed Stan here. He never has had a clue about USF basketball and its' history ... and I'm not saying that Stan should get a lifetime contract but he should have at least a couple more years to see if he can build on that foundation.

And Ziegler and Clayton have been here, assuming being redshirted .... if I misinterpreted your comment about them, my bad.

As usual you're wrong again good buddy. I haven't been against Stan since almost Day1. I have nothing against the guy except that he's not a good HC, however good assistant coach and a good man, but just not a leader, motivator, and teacher. I have pulled for the guy to do well, still wish that he could, but it comes a time when you have to look at the evidence for what it is and the man has been a failure for years as a HC.

My whole thing with wanting Heath gone after the season is related to the future and recruiting talent in order to build as some around here say, for the future. The next 2 classes are key for Stan or the next HC. USF won't have a better opportunity to build a better then solid basketball program then what's in front of them. Strikeout on these next classes and it's going to be some lean times for Stan and then the next Coach.

His hands are tied for next year he only has one scholarship available, unless more transfer.  And what is so special about the next two classes.  His 2013 class is shaping up to be special.  We have a solid base, we can use another PG and SG but he will be able to address those needs depending on the changes year to year.  now if he hasn't made the tourney in 2-3 years then the subject might be worthy but to say CSH isn't the best fit right now at USF is way off base.  The only candidate I would say is a big upgrade would be B. Pearl but he has past issues that I'm questioning whether USF would want to take a chance on.  Plus I doubt we could pay him either.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I'd definitely settle for being a consistent, relevant threat in the conference! Don't feel certain about that coming to reality yet, though.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Vega's been spewing the same crap since almost the day he followed Stan here. He never has had a clue about USF basketball and its' history ... and I'm not saying that Stan should get a lifetime contract but he should have at least a couple more years to see if he can build on that foundation.

As usual you're wrong again good buddy. I haven't been against Stan since almost Day1. I have nothing against the guy except that he's not a good HC, however good assistant coach and a good man, but just not a leader, motivator, and teacher. I have pulled for the guy to do well, still wish that he could,

Just stop this ********, Vega. Anybody who's been on here since Stan got here, with you stuck on like a remora, has seen that for the vast majority of his time here you've been trying to get a campaign going to run him out of town.

but it comes a time when you have to look at the evidence for what it is and the man has been a failure for years as a HC.

Failure for years? Post season 2 out of the last 4 years, where we hadn't been for 8 years. 2 post season wins where we hadn't won in 17 years, which were wins in the Big Dance where we had NEVER won. I realize where you came from, Arkansas, this is pretty laughable but to a program without a basketball tradition it could be a pretty good start ...

More BS, especially from a supposed hoops recruiting guru ... There will always be kids coming up to build a solid basketball program on. If Stan's not the one to get them and continue the building, hopefully the next HC will be ... but there's not some magical 2 year window that will close ... funny thing is, you've been talking about this 2 year window for 4 or 5 years now.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

As usual you're wrong again good buddy. I haven't been against Stan since almost Day1. I have nothing against the guy except that he's not a good HC, however good assistant coach and a good man, but just not a leader, motivator, and teacher. I have pulled for the guy to do well, still wish that he could,

Just stop this ********, Vega. Anybody who's been on here since Stan got here, with you stuck on like a remora, has seen that for the vast majority of his time here you've been trying to get a campaign going to run him out of town.

but it comes a time when you have to look at the evidence for what it is and the man has been a failure for years as a HC.

Failure for years? Post season 2 out of the last 4 years, where we hadn't been for 8 years. 2 post season wins where we hadn't won in 17 years, which were wins in the Big Dance where we had NEVER won. I realize where you came from, Arkansas, this is pretty laughable but to a program without a basketball tradition it could be a pretty good start ...

More BS, especially from a supposed hoops recruiting guru ... There will always be kids coming up to build a solid basketball program on. If Stan's not the one to get them and continue the building, hopefully the next HC will be ... but there's not some magical 2 year window that will close ... funny thing is, you've been talking about this 2 year window for 4 or 5 years now.

Once again you are not telling the truth. For a supposedly message board sheriff, you aren't the most honest one out there. Maybe you are the one that should be fired from the job. I mean you have accused me of being everything with little to no proof. Have many times have you referred to me as being a racist?

The 2015 and 2016 classes are loaded, hell arguably the Tampa's Juwan Durham of the 2016 class could be the No.1 player, certainly top 5. Plays for Tampa Prep where Josh Heath attended. I cannot remember when there was so much surrounding talent in the state to where USF has a chance to get. None of the recent classes matches up on paper, at least to the two I mentioned.

Edited by Vega

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Once again you are not telling the truth. For a supposedly message board sheriff, you aren't the most honest one out there. Maybe you are the one that should be fired from the job. I mean you have accused me of being everything with little to no proof. Have many times have you referred to me as being a racist?

The 2015 and 2016 classes are loaded, hell arguably the Tampa's Juwan Durham of the 2016 class could be the No.1 player, certainly top 5. Plays for Tampa Prep where Josh Heath attended. I cannot remember when there was so much surrounding talent in the state to where USF has a chance to get. None of the recent classes matches up on paper, at least to the two I mentioned.

LOL .... Uh, never ... and all I've ever accused you of is trying to run Stan off since almost the very beginning and one needs to just look at your post history to see all the proof needed.

The right coach will find the right talent when the time comes so your crying wolf about a 2 year window is ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

I would really like to get Durham, but don't you think the best chance is that he has a relationship with Josh and Stan.  Otherwise we really have no chance when going against the top programs around the country.  Unless his main interest is to play close to home.  USf needs to continue to build before we start landing this type of recruit.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

LOL .... Uh, never ... and all I've ever accused you of is trying to run Stan off since almost the very beginning and one needs to just look at your post history to see all the proof needed.

The right coach will find the right talent when the time comes so your crying wolf about a 2 year window is ridiculous.

Come on Trips....your memory can't be this bad. Saying I got something against the man because he is black, to me says that you were calling me a racist. You have several times went in that direction since and I have let it go because you have/had no clue what you were talking about. Maybe you were just joking Idk, but you certainly wrote it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

I'm not as faithful a follower of MBB than FB, but I do watch some games. Just by way of general comment - coaching changes should not be taken lightly at the collegiate level. Unless you have a program that is already very successful and loaded with talent, terminating a coach means you are basically starting over. I can see what CSH is starting to build, now with the benefit of improved facilities. Give him a meaningful chance to see through what he's building with this latest top-flight group of young players. If we do otherwise I just don't see us getting an equally good MBB coach for what we can afford and what we offer him from a basketball prestige standpoint.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm not as faithful a follower of MBB than FB, but I do watch some games. Just by way of general comment - coaching changes should not be taken lightly at the collegiate level. Unless you have a program that is already very successful and loaded with talent, terminating a coach means you are basically starting over. I can see what CSH is starting to build, now with the benefit of improved facilities. Give him a meaningful chance to see through what he's building with this latest top-flight group of young players. If we do otherwise I just don't see us getting an equally good MBB coach for what we can afford and what we offer him from a basketball prestige standpoint.

Good post. 

So does this mean we're stuck with Vega for the foreseeable future?