• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Never understood why USF rebuilt the Sundome.  Should have leveled it and had games and graduations at Tampa Bay Times Forum.  Also could have saved money and had baseball games at Steinbrenner field.  Complete waste of resources when Tampa already has these other nice facilities.

I still don't understand why USF is building new classrooms either.  There is plenty of office space located in surrounding business parks that could be used.

I'm not really sure if this is sarcasm, but you can't compare football to basketball or baseball.  Attendence is hugely different, cost is hugely different, there are only six football games per year that tend to be all day events.  Basketball and baseball are drive by, attend the game, go home.  Totally different experience and 8 miles is nothing for an all day football event a few times per year.  

Comparing apples to watermelons.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Never understood why USF rebuilt the Sundome.  Should have leveled it and had games and graduations at Tampa Bay Times Forum.  Also could have saved money and had baseball games at Steinbrenner field.  Complete waste of resources when Tampa already has these other nice facilities.

I still don't understand why USF is building new classrooms either.  There is plenty of office space located in surrounding business parks that could be used.

A little reductio ad absurdum is fun isn't it.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

A little reductio ad absurdum is fun isn't it.

It certainly is!  My favorite forum post in quite some time.  Nice work, KB.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

No, an OCS is not a must. There are plenty of schools at "that level" that do not have an OCS. It may or may not be helpful or desireable. But it is completely wrong to call it a must. There are several off campus facilities for P5 schools.

http://www.footballgeography.com/list-of-fbs-stadiums-sorted-by-distance-to-the-campus/

Nice try Databull.

Off Campus

25*

How many of those 25 are 1 mile from campus?

How about 2-3 miles?

How many are 4+ miles away?

11* (Actually 10 since Washington is only playing at the Seahawks stadium while theirs is being renovated)

We have the 7th farthest stadium in all of FBS. Who do we want to be like? Miami? Did you see their stands this year? EMPTY! They had a winning season too, that's pathetic.

Two things, they are still off campus and while we are the 7th farthest, there's a huge jump from 5th to 6th. UCLA and Miami seem to be successful programs without an OCS. So it is not a, "must have"

Because USF has a similar fanbase and tradition to UCLA and Miami. Such a comparison IS truly apples and oranges.

Arguing that there's space elsewhere, and that other schools with name recognition and prestige rely on space elsewhere and therefore so should we, are weak arguments IMHO.

You want to shed the perception that USF is a commuter school that's "mailing it in" when it comes to football? You want alumni to have a sense of pride and donate to athletics? Take the d**n football team out of the stadium with the stupid pirate ship and put it in one that is green and gold and devoted to USF and its fans only. Make that investment.

Yes, when the team was winning, there have been significant games with high attendance numbers at RJS NOTWITHSTANDING its swash-buckling ambience. Goodie. But don't fool yourself. If and when the money is there for an OCS USF should and probably will build it.

/rant

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

Am I delusional to think USF will get an invite to a P5 conference? Let's assume USF has narrowed down their AD search to two candidates, the OCS candidate and the P5 candidate. They both want to win but the OCS candidates has the means to get an OCS in 5 years, while the P5 candidate has means to get USF in a P5 conference in 5 years.

I'm taking the P5 guy so at least we have a chance to be relevant on a national level. If we have an OCS, but are still in the AAC we remain irrelevant. Our following and notoriety would be comparable to a local high school team. And those games cost $5 to attend.

Am I delusional to think USF will get an invite to a P5 conference? Let's assume USF has narrowed down their AD search to two candidates, the OCS candidate and the P5 candidate. They both want to win but the OCS candidates has the means to get an OCS in 5 years, while the P5 candidate has means to get USF in a P5 conference in 5 years.

I'm taking the P5 guy so at least we have a chance to be relevant on a national level. If we have an OCS, but are still in the AAC we remain irrelevant. Our following and notoriety would be comparable to a local high school team. And those games cost $5 to attend.

I just don't see how this needs to be an either-or proposition. I want an AD who will (1) make us a winner, (2) at least begin fundraising for an OCS, and (3) get us into a a P5 conference. All of them, or at least the capability to pursue all of them. Arguably, he would have more control over items (1) and (2) than (3), which would depend on a vote by other universities who have their own financial interests at stake.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

I just don't see how this needs to be an either-or proposition. I want an AD who will (1) make us a winner, (2) at least begin fundraising for an OCS, and (3) get us into a a P5 conference. All of them, or at least the capability to pursue all of them. Arguably, he would have more control over items (1) and (2) than (3), which would depend on a vote by other universities who have their own financial interests at stake.

I think with the right hire you can have more control over (3). I guess that's my point. (1) and (2) can be accomplished by any one who is good at their job, (3) if we make the right hire we could jump CINCY, UCONN, Houston and SMU for the next P5 expansion.

I guess I'm beating a dead horse here.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

Its like the carrot to make us forget about the terrible shape the Athletic dept is in,   Lets give them( the fans) a stadium to talk about and look forward to, and they wont look at the MESS that is USF Athletics.  

We need to fix the AD and culture here first ,  New stadium(shiny and new) will still look dirty and empty when we are losing to MCNeese States.  

You do realize that was an opinion piece written by a reporter, not a USF press release, right?

And it's not even an OCS article ... Headline writer must be one of the ocs zealots in here.

• Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

I think your optimal AD candidate has to be the person that wants to fight for what is best for the program.  It's not OCS vs. P5.  It's both in my opinion. 

We have more control over OCS than P5.  New AD may think OCS is necessary to attract P5.  I don't think an OCS would hurt the cause.

As an alum and booster I would at the very least like to see a feasibility study to see what the options are.  I'm sure it's been done.  Then let the people decide.  If enough people want it then we will donate, buy tickets, seat deposits, etc.  If not, then we stay at Ray Jay. 

My opinion is that most want a true college atmosphere and the pride and tradition that only comes with tailgating and playing on campus.  With that will come future students and athletes that feel the same way.  The hope then is for the ones that don't want it now to realize what we are missing when we do get it and to embrace it.  Everyone wins. 

Doug seemed to have the policy of not talking about it.  I often thought this was a spill over from the CJL days of not wanting it to be a negative in recruiting. In other words, if we say we want one then we are saying Ray Jay is not a good place to play.  I just hope the new AD at least puts it out there for us to discuss as a Bull family.

I think your optimal AD candidate has to be the person that wants to fight for what is best for the program. It's not OCS vs. P5. It's both in my opinion.

We have more control over OCS than P5. New AD may think OCS is necessary to attract P5. I don't think an OCS would hurt the cause.

As an alum and booster I would at the very least like to see a feasibility study to see what the options are. I'm sure it's been done. Then let the people decide. If enough people want it then we will donate, buy tickets, seat deposits, etc. If not, then we stay at Ray Jay.

My opinion is that most want a true college atmosphere and the pride and tradition that only comes with tailgating and playing on campus. With that will come future students and athletes that feel the same way. The hope then is for the ones that don't want it now to realize what we are missing when we do get it and to embrace it. Everyone wins.

Doug seemed to have the policy of not talking about it. I often thought this was a spill over from the CJL days of not wanting it to be a negative in recruiting. In other words, if we say we want one then we are saying Ray Jay is not a good place to play. I just hope the new AD at least puts it out there for us to discuss as a Bull family.

Well put.