• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Sounds a lot like our situation. IMO the Bucs, Glazers, Hillsborough County and the City of Tampa could care less about USF football.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Nevertheless, this is not why UCF built an OCS. Really, it doesn't make any sense to link the two.

:facepalm: 

The best thing that ever happened to UCF's football program was that day a few years ago when President John Hitt made the decision to build an on-campus stadium and escape the decaying Citrus Bowl.

And the worst thing that ever happened to the city's effort to refurbish the Citrus Bowl and keep it viable for big-time college football bowl was forcing Hitt into reaching that conclusion.

I think you misunderstand.  Hitt would not have made plans to build the stadium if there were plans to renovate.  

That is what the article was saying.  So they were linked because Orlando was refusing to renovate, UCF did not build because there was a renovation planned.   UCF built because there was NOT a renovation planned.

Edited by ShadowBull

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

"There was a take-UCF-for-granted attitude," Hitt remembers. "When Steve was talking about a share of revenues on the new video board, he was told the value of UCF's fans was nothing — zero. That didn't sit too well with us and got us looking in other directions."

Hitt did not like being taken for granted, and i think he felt like whatever happened at the Citrus Dump, he was going to have no say, and  even less control. The City had no thought, that UCF would simply leave. The City thought they had them cornered.....in my opinion.

I only attended one game there, it was 1 too many.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

ncf_stadiumrender_300.jpg

comingtoamerica1.gif

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

"There was a take-UCF-for-granted attitude," Hitt remembers. "When Steve was talking about a share of revenues on the new video board, he was told the value of UCF's fans was nothing — zero. That didn't sit too well with us and got us looking in other directions."

Hitt did not like being taken for granted, and i think he felt like whatever happened at the Citrus Dump, he was going to have no say, and  even less control. The City had no thought, that UCF would simply leave. The City thought they had them cornered.....in my opinion.

I only attended one game there, it was 1 too many.

Ever been to RayJay?

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

No, I lived in Palm harbor for years so I attended games at the Old Sombrero, and we moved to Naples in 2000 and only really got interested in Florida College sports in 2007 or so, so I intend to attend this years home game vs. UCF. That will be my  first visit........I think.

I have been in the Sun Dome  pre renovation and post renovation, and that is beautiful. I also got a tour of the whole athletic building and sports rehab and treatment rooms last year. Nice people, exceedingly nice staff watching out over the student athletes.

Looking forward to seeing RayJay from the inside.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Future hinges on hiring of new AD

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/bulls-beat-future-hinges-on-hiring-of-new-ad-20140122/

Excerpt:

"The new AD must have the creativity and vision to address USF’s needs for an on-campus football stadium. Anyone who attended the USF-UCF contest in November saw how much that added to the atmosphere.

USF is fortunate to have Raymond James Stadium. But it isn’t a true home. The next game-changer is a 40,000-seat stadium that would invigorate the football program – and the campus."

An invite to a P5 conference Is much more important than an on campus stadium. The new hire could have insight or pull to get USF into a P5 conference. I would take P5 over on campus stadium all day long.

Por que no los dos?

I agree 100%. It's a false dichotomy. We can have both - or at least fight for both. Plus, an AD has greater control over fundraising for an OCS than wiggling us into a P5 conference, which is ultimately up to a vote by other schools with their own financial interests at heart.

Smart administrators can have more than one goal/objective...and the above is true...as USF can control their own program, their own facilities, etc...and is obviously NOT in control of being invited to a  P5 conference (who knows if any of the P5 will ever invite new members?).

Control what you can control...and for those AGAINST a right size on-campus stadium, just look at the number of EMPTY SEATS that USF played at home, even though they hired a so-called "dynamic and local Head Coach" and ask yourself: "Is that a good thing to do?" (i.e. play in front of that many empty seats)

Empty Seats per home game at RJS for 2013:

McNeese State: 43,238

FAU: 45,108

Miami: 32,860

Cincinnati: 49,938

Louisville: 44,492

Memphis: 51,064

Total number of empty seats at USF Home games for 2013: 266,708 or an average of 44,451 empty seats per game.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Future hinges on hiring of new AD

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/bulls-beat-future-hinges-on-hiring-of-new-ad-20140122/

Excerpt:

"The new AD must have the creativity and vision to address USF’s needs for an on-campus football stadium. Anyone who attended the USF-UCF contest in November saw how much that added to the atmosphere.

USF is fortunate to have Raymond James Stadium. But it isn’t a true home. The next game-changer is a 40,000-seat stadium that would invigorate the football program – and the campus."

An invite to a P5 conference Is much more important than an on campus stadium. The new hire could have insight or pull to get USF into a P5 conference. I would take P5 over on campus stadium all day long.

Por que no los dos?

I agree 100%. It's a false dichotomy. We can have both - or at least fight for both. Plus, an AD has greater control over fundraising for an OCS than wiggling us into a P5 conference, which is ultimately up to a vote by other schools with their own financial interests at heart.

Smart administrators can have more than one goal/objective...and the above is true...as USF can control their own program, their own facilities, etc...and is obviously NOT in control of being invited to a  P5 conference (who knows if any of the P5 will ever invite new members?).

Control what you can control...and for those AGAINST a right size on-campus stadium, just look at the number of EMPTY SEATS that USF played at home, even though they hired a so-called "dynamic and local Head Coach" and ask yourself: "Is that a good thing to do?" (i.e. play in front of that many empty seats)

Empty Seats per home game at RJS for 2013:

McNeese State: 43,238

FAU: 45,108

Miami: 32,860

Cincinnati: 49,938

Louisville: 44,492

Memphis: 51,064

Total number of empty seats at USF Home games for 2013: 266,708 or an average of 44,451 empty seats per game.

No one would disagree that RJS is too big for us.  It's not the number of seats that is the issue for many on here, it's how nice do we want the stadium to be?  I don't like your stadium.  I understand why UCF did what the did and your stadium is an upgrade to what the Citrus bowl is right now.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

Nevertheless, this is not why UCF built an OCS. Really, it doesn't make any sense to link the two.

:facepalm: 

The best thing that ever happened to UCF's football program was that day a few years ago when President John Hitt made the decision to build an on-campus stadium and escape the decaying Citrus Bowl.

And the worst thing that ever happened to the city's effort to refurbish the Citrus Bowl and keep it viable for big-time college football bowl was forcing Hitt into reaching that conclusion.

I think you misunderstand.  Hitt would not have made plans to build the stadium if there were plans to renovate.  

I think you're right ....I'm having an off week.