• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Egbunu's eligibility is being investigated by the NCAA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

The eligibility of South Florida freshman John Egbunu is being reviewed by the NCAA, sources told ESPN.

In a statement released Friday, USF acknowledged it had been contacted by the NCAA about one of its student-athletes but would not reveal his identity.

“We have been contacted and are aware of concerns involving one of our student-athletes. We have initiated a review of the matter and have asked the NCAA to assist us.â€

South Florida coach Stan Heath spoke to ESPN Friday about Egbunu’s status. “I feel confident in this matter. John’s status has not changed,†he said. “He will start Saturday against Cincinnati.â€

Linzy Davis, the coach of Egbunu’s former AAU team, Georgia Elite, told ESPN that he has been in contact with the NCAA. Davis is a founder of of the National Elite Athletic Association Union, a group of preparatory schools with suspect academic standards. Egbunu reportedly lived at Davis’ home during his junior year of high school, but Davis told ESPN he has not recently spoken with Egbunu.

South Florida said in the statement that the student-athlete in question, believed to be Egbunu, was “completely certified and cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to enrolling.â€

Egbunu signed with South Florida during his junior year with Davis’s son, Drew, who is attending prep school this season. Heath denied the assertion Davis made to ESPN that his son’s commitment was not honored by the South Florida coach, while Heath claimed Davis did not qualify academically for admission into South Florida.

In a Tweet sent out in December 2011, Davis described his son and Egbunu as “the new John Stockton/Karl Malone combination.†Egbuny was given a four-star rating and ranked No. 83 in the 2013 class by Rivals. Davis is not ranked in the site’s database.

In 17 games for the 10-7 (1-3 AAC) Bulls this season, Egbunu is averaging 8.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 25.4 minutes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,990
  • Days Won:  12

Sounds harmless. Get off my d, ncaa

Edited by hm101

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If he made it through the clearinghouse, it's on them. Worst they can do is revoke that, but I wonder how that works if he's got a semester of college under his belt and is currently eligible.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Not overly concerned. Just some fraud who's ticked off that his son doesn't get to play basketball.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

Meh.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I actually thought this guy was all ticked off because his son wasnt given a bball scholarship. Now that i read that he was even eligible, wtf is this dude's issue?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

I actually thought this guy was all ticked off because his son wasnt given a bball scholarship. Now that i read that he was even eligible, wtf is this dude's issue

His kid may have been eligible. He just didn't meet USF's tougher standards.

Here is the weird part, the kid who didn't make it in might have had better grades/SAT scores than the one who did.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I actually thought this guy was all ticked off because his son wasnt given a bball scholarship. Now that i read that he was even eligible, wtf is this dude's issue

Here is the weird part, the kid who didn't make it in might have had better grades/SAT scores than the one who did.

Gotcha. So this might just be more of a **** move by heath than an ncaa violation, if there even is one

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

Gotcha. So this might just be more of a **** move by heath than an ncaa violation, if there even is one

That is sort of what I am thinking.

Gotta sign the son to get the stud. Both had bad grades. Son gets caught up by academic committee and stud gets golden ticket to pass through. Dad is now pissed.

If true, no violation.

This is not based on research or facts, just my current gut feeling. (and best case scenario for USF).