• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Other Shoe - Potential MBB NCAA Investigation

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

So you see the AD stepping down days before an investigation takes place as just what, coincidence? His due to retire in 2015 when his contract is up. Do we need a year and change to find another AD? Why now?

Nothing in the official release says he is "stepping down" ... 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

So you see the AD stepping down days before an investigation takes place as just what, coincidence? His due to retire in 2015 when his contract is up. Do we need a year and change to find another AD? Why now?

Nothing in the official release says he is "stepping down" ... 

You're not wrong, but it's worth noting that they have very little incentive to make the situation look any more tumultuous than it already is.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Seems pretty clear to me that the "retirement" angle of this thing is just so DW and the university can save face.  Otherwise, there'd be no need for USF to begin a national search for a new AD immediately.  Frank Morsani suggested that DW was just exhausted and decided to hang it up, but remember that these guys are near contemporaries, are probably friendly, and it's the gentlemanly thing to do to suggest DW had the control in this situation.  I don't buy it, especially when combined with the BM's (unsourced but understandable and believable) statement that widespread dissatisfaction with football and basketball led to the change.

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I don't know, time will tell. But unless you have something specific to add, there's no reason to be afraid that there's anything serious under the covers. If you're asking me which is more likely, that it is coincidental timing, or that there is some major, department-altering scandal on the horizon, I'm going to say it being a coincidence is more likely.

You could have just stopped right there.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Yawn ... if Miami gets off virtually scot-free for the Nevin Shapiro BS, I'm really not worried about NCAA investigating USF.

This times a thousand

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Yawn ... if Miami gets off virtually scot-free for the Nevin Shapiro BS, I'm really not worried about NCAA investigating USF.

Miami has a brand the NCAA was not willing to trash. We are a non P5 school with no brand or history. They would have no problem nuking us just to flex their muscle and show they are still relevant.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Miami has a brand the NCAA was not willing to trash. We are a non P5 school with no brand or history. They would have no problem nuking us just to flex their muscle and show they are still relevant.

Gimme a break.  There's this thing called "precedent" that should be enough to prevent what you're saying from happening, assuming USF has some decent enough attorneys.  If Miami doesn't get hit hard for what they did, we shouldn't have anything to worry about ... obviously the last 3 seasons any infractions we might have made didn't help us in any way. 

NCAA didn't hit Miami hard because they had their own internal issues.  Look at what they did to Penn State.  Didn't have anything to do with "brand." 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Yeah, that's the old adage.  A giant program makes a major infraction and gets a slap on the wrist.  The little guy does a much smaller violations, but gets hammered so the NCAA can say it has teeth.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I see nothing here