• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Other Shoe - Potential MBB NCAA Investigation

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

I was surprised that drew didn't make it here. Was it related to academics or just that csh decided to go back on his word with drew?

If Stan had gone back on his word, the **** would have hit the fan long before now ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I guess Collin was keeping his powder dry because there really wasn't much to run with - yet. But I'm glad that we've apparently learned the nature of the "the other shoe."

Are we sure this is it? Hopefully, the other posters who supposedly know what it is can at least confirm or say there's something else ...

Yeah, don't really know. That's why I hedged with "apparently." Hopefully someone in the know will chime in...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

The article was just updated with the following: 

Note: USF Athletics responded to a previous version of this story with "We have no expectation of a Letter of Inquiry." That sentence of the story has been removed.

So now the story is LITERALLY just "bitter dad says unspecified, supposedly bad things about university that rejected his son."

Someone let me know when there's some real info out there.

The whole thing is ridiculous. The "article" has a damning title, but absolutely no substance. Why was it posted it in the first place?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  19

I don't want to be negative. I know nothing about this, but if the VD5 article is accurate, then we have a problem.

When the NCAA begins an "Official Investigation" they actually had been looking into things and feel reasonably sure there is something wrong.

The letter VD5 referenced is not the start but a mid point in things like this.

If the article is accurate about what? There is not one specific piece of info in that article, other than USF supposedly receiving a letter of inquiry "soon." Nothing at all to suggest what, if anything, is alleged, or how valid it is. Nothing at all.

A Google search for "NCAA letter of inquiry" turns up lots and lots of results from recent years - some wound up being major stuff, but most were pretty minor, nothing worth freaking out about. And several amounted to basically nothing.

There is still no reason to freak out at all, more info is needed to make a judgment.

I'll be more specific, replace, "If the VD5 article is accurate" with "if USF gets a letter of inquiry from the NCAA as mentioned in the VD5 article."

I don't care about the kids dad, what he said or did based on how little I know now. I do care that if USF get the letter from the NCAA, then they have already done some investigation and feels there is something wrong.

Can further investigation clear USF from wrongdoing, yes. Could a potential violation be minor, yes. Too soon to tell.

But don't think that the letter is the start of the process, if we get a letter, the process started a while back.

I don't want to be negative. I know nothing about this, but if the VD5 article is accurate, then we have a problem.

When the NCAA begins an "Official Investigation" they actually had been looking into things and feel reasonably sure there is something wrong.

The letter VD5 referenced is not the start but a mid point in things like this.

If the article is accurate about what? There is not one specific piece of info in that article, other than USF supposedly receiving a letter of inquiry "soon." Nothing at all to suggest what, if anything, is alleged, or how valid it is. Nothing at all.

A Google search for "NCAA letter of inquiry" turns up lots and lots of results from recent years - some wound up being major stuff, but most were pretty minor, nothing worth freaking out about. And several amounted to basically nothing.

There is still no reason to freak out at all, more info is needed to make a judgment.

I'll be more specific, replace, "If the VD5 article is accurate" with "if USF gets a letter of inquiry from the NCAA as mentioned in the VD5 article."

I don't care about the kids dad, what he said or did based on how little I know now. I do care that if USF get the letter from the NCAA, then they have already done some investigation and feels there is something wrong.

Can further investigation clear USF from wrongdoing, yes. Could a potential violation be minor, yes. Too soon to tell.

But don't think that the letter is the start of the process, if we get a letter, the process started a while back.

If we are to believe USF's rebuttal, then no letter is expected.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

There's of course more I could say here, but I think it's better to wait and be sure. My story says that USF is being investigated by the NCAA, and that is true. I figure that's relevant news if you're a USF basketball fan. If some of you disagree with that, let me know.

Also as you can see by what I wrote, the source of this investigation certainly has some credibility issues that will need to be hashed out by investigators. 

As far as the Letter of Inquiry: Looks like that was a semantics misunderstanding between myself and a source. Usually Letters of Inquiry come much further down the line, and this investigation isn't that far along yet.

This was "the other shoe" I referred to in a Tweet yesterday, but as I dug further, less and less of it seemed to be that damming. But anytime you're investigated by the NCAA, everything you've done as a program (not just men's basketball) is fair game for the investigators. Thus news of any investigation seems newsworthy to me. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

There's of course more I could say here, but I think it's better to wait and be sure. My story says that USF is being investigated by the NCAA, and that is true. I figure that's relevant news if you're a USF basketball fan. If some of you disagree with that, let me know.

Also as you can see by what I wrote, the source of this investigation certainly has some credibility issues that will need to be hashed out by investigators.

As far as the Letter of Inquiry: Looks like that was a semantics misunderstanding between myself and a source. Usually Letters of Inquiry come much further down the line, and this investigation isn't that far along yet.

This was "the other shoe" I referred to in a Tweet yesterday, but as I dug further, less and less of it seemed to be that damming. But anytime you're investigated by the NCAA, everything you've done as a program (not just men's basketball) is fair game for the investigators. Thus news of any investigation seems newsworthy to me.

Thanks Collin. Even though it's early, we at least can put some of the non-related speculation to rest and see what happens on this front.

Thanks for the clarification. Definitely appreciated.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

There it is.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

There it is.

That's it?  That's the other bombshell?