• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football: year 1 on the bus. Could it have been better?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I definitely took a wait and see approach. Never saw losses to mcneese st and fau coming. Let alone blowouts. Houston and Ucf games showed some promise on offense although we lost. I really still believe that it's a reasonable expectation to expect at least a 6-6 season every year in this conference.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My thinking is that doing things a little bit differently on offense may have yielded another win or two. That is a big maybe since we really did not have any playmakers. The problem I see in that is if we tried to change it would have set us back in the learning curve and set us back for this upcoming year.

We took our medicine last year. Let's hope it leads to the cure for the long term.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Lack of production on offense shouldn't have been that surprising we had eveld and Floyd and putting in a new system. They looked as bad if not worse last year when bj was injured. Cwt will get things turned around I have faith.
It's a new system where quarterbacks have to make passes and receivers have to catch the ball. ;) You have to admit, there was a lot of problems with fundamentals. It wasn't just problems learning new schemes, it was how to play basic football. So perhaps they spent too much trying to teach the playbook and not how to play. And that would explain why the talent looked so bad. As Lombardi called it, the relentless pursuit of perfection. He know you couldn't reach perfection, but the result was greatness. I don't think that we have talent that's worse than an FCS team. I do think that the talent on the defense was greater than the talent on the offense and it takes more work for an offense to gel than a defense. Hence, I think that if the offense had spent more time on fundamentals we could've had more wins. Just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Lack of production on offense shouldn't have been that surprising we had eveld and Floyd and putting in a new system.

They looked as bad if not worse last year when bj was injured.

Cwt will get things turned around I have faith.

It's a new system where quarterbacks have to make passes and receivers have to catch the ball. ;)

You have to admit, there was a lot of problems with fundamentals. It wasn't just problems learning new schemes, it was how to play basic football. So perhaps they spent too much trying to teach the playbook and not how to play. And that would explain why the talent looked so bad. As Lombardi called it, the relentless pursuit of perfection. He know you couldn't reach perfection, but the result was greatness. I don't think that we have talent that's worse than an FCS team. I do think that the talent on the defense was greater than the talent on the offense and it takes more work for an offense to gel than a defense. Hence, I think that if the offense had spent more time on fundamentals we could've had more wins. Just my opinion.

Also always expect 12, but this ended up as my biggest disappointment.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think USF will make strides in the offseason, and I think the offense will get better. If for no other reason than familiarity and practice. 

The offense will get better if for no other reason than it was so abysmal last year.  Really it is hard to imagine a worse looking performance.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I think USF will make strides in the offseason, and I think the offense will get better. If for no other reason than familiarity and practice.

The offense will get better if for no other reason than it was so abysmal last year. Really it is hard to imagine a worse looking performance.

Never say never. We thought it would get better when skip left and how'd that work out?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

It's still eating at me. And I'm sure it's the same for some of you Bulls. I felt like somebody took me out to the middle desert and left me with a bottle of water. Now what?

--------------

Here are my questions regarding year 1:

1) Did CWT and company have any chance for success at all? Were we fans who thought we could have made a bowl fooling ourselves? Were we that bare that we couldn't beat some of the teams that we lost to? (This question is about our players from this past year.)

I know it's a "new system" but as an average fan of the game, to me it's running the ball or passing the ball. I had never seen USF football this bad.

2) The defense was fine. I don't think we could have done that much better. So this question is about the offense. What do you think a year of that kind of football establishes for our team? At the end of the year, I could not say, "at least we have that and it looks better than when we started." What did we improve?

I just feel something is really fundamentally wrong with the offense. And I have serious doubts about how it gets fixed next year.

1) yes, maybe, no

2) we have a nice FG kicker

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Look at Strong, Cutcliffe, Jerry Kill, Jim Harbaugh (07-2010) at Stanford. 

These are how recoveries go. 

We didn't win because we weren't in a position to do so. I'm not worried at all. 

I like the Wulff hire. I may put money on the bulls this year to do something special.

Please don't put any money down on the Bulls at least until year 3. I saw some of your posts, at least during the first half of the year and it wasn't good. You obviously had higher expectations.

Love the optimism now but I would feel responsible if I didn't tell you to wait a little extra time.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

No matter what reasons are used, there was plenty of talent on the team to beat McNeese State and FAU.

This!