• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone Hoping UCF Wins Tonight?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

And Northern Illinois was 12-2. Records don't tell the whole story in college football.

Baylor has the best offense in the country, big wins vs TTU, Texas, they also beat oklahoma (another BCS team) by 30+

UCF with wins over UL, Houston, PSU... should have beat SC.

both are good teams... absolutely nothing like NIU

Good? I guess, but not much more than that. But that doesn't make what I said untrue. You offered their records as evidence, and NIU, which lost the same number of regular season games, is clear proof that the record doesn't tell the whole story. Is UCF exactly as good as Alabama, a team that finished with exactly the same record? Of course not. UCF went 11-1 in part because they are an above-average team, maybe, and in (larger) part because their schedule was a joke. You say they almost beat South Carolina - well they also almost lost to USF. You're cherry-picking facts here.

Schedule was a joke? I didn't see any Div. 1AA teams this year. Calling it a joke seems a little harsh.

Teams with a winning record that UCF beat this year:

Penn State (7-5)

Louisville (11-1)

Houston (8-4)

Joke is the right word. And because I anticipate you trying to make the Louisville win more than it really was, here's the teams with winning records the Cardinals beat:

Houston (8-4)

Cincinnati (8-4)

Ohio (7-5)

For comparison, Alabama beat six teams with winning records - and that includes LSU and Texas AM, each of whom had multiple impressive wins themselves. The only semi-impressive win on UCF's schedule is against a team that in fact has no impressive wins themselves.

Alabama... in their conference schedule... played 3 (of 8) teams with winning records and went 2-1 right? 

Outside of their conference schedule they play the Chattanooga mocs and the like.

The scheduling process in college football is corrupt and a joke, you'll get no disagreement from me on that. But that fact doesn't make UCF's schedule impressive. That Alabama's biggest games were in-conference doesn't change the fact that they have more impressive wins than UCF does.

I only chose Alabama because I happened to have their schedule open though. I don't think you or anyone would suggest UCF was on that level. But victories over three winning teams, none of whom themselves beat a team with fewer than four losses? Color me unimpressed.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Anyway, it looks like UCF's gonna win this thing, and I have no desire to watch that. I'm gonna retire for the night.

Actually, it occurs to me now that there's really no good reason for me to watch the game - UCF losing would only confirm everything I already think, and UCF winning is not something I enjoy watching. Maybe a really soul-crushing, heart-breaking defeat, like what happened in the Iron Bowl, would make it worthwhile. Unfortunately, Baylor apparently either is not very good or didn't show up tonight. I don't know which it is, because I haven't seen a single one of their games before now.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

And Northern Illinois was 12-2. Records don't tell the whole story in college football.

Baylor has the best offense in the country, big wins vs TTU, Texas, they also beat oklahoma (another BCS team) by 30+

UCF with wins over UL, Houston, PSU... should have beat SC.

both are good teams... absolutely nothing like NIU

Good? I guess, but not much more than that. But that doesn't make what I said untrue. You offered their records as evidence, and NIU, which lost the same number of regular season games, is clear proof that the record doesn't tell the whole story. Is UCF exactly as good as Alabama, a team that finished with exactly the same record? Of course not. UCF went 11-1 in part because they are an above-average team, maybe, and in (larger) part because their schedule was a joke. You say they almost beat South Carolina - well they also almost lost to USF. You're cherry-picking facts here.

Schedule was a joke? I didn't see any Div. 1AA teams this year. Calling it a joke seems a little harsh.

Teams with a winning record that UCF beat this year:

Penn State (7-5)

Louisville (11-1)

Houston (8-4)

Joke is the right word. And because I anticipate you trying to make the Louisville win more than it really was, here's the teams with winning records the Cardinals beat:

Houston (8-4)

Cincinnati (8-4)

Ohio (7-5)

For comparison, Alabama beat six teams with winning records - and that includes LSU and Texas AM, each of whom had multiple impressive wins themselves. The only semi-impressive win on UCF's schedule is against a team that in fact has no impressive wins themselves

.Yeah, like TX TAMU,LSU,UF,UM will give UCF one and ones. The OOC schedule was pretty good, and the conference is what it is. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Bottom line is that UCF is one quarter away from saying they won a BCS bowl. We can rationalize all we like.

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174

What impresses then?

B10

you could say that sparty is unimpressive... they just beat ohio state and lost to notre dame. B10 considered weak this year i suppose.

ACC

i guess fsu is impressive because they literally destroyed all competition but the ACC is kinda weak

B12 

baylor, unimpressive

SEC

Auburn grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat a handful of times but managed an 11 win season in the best conference... i think you'd consider this impressive

P12

dont really know much about pac but i'm not sure u'd consider stanford impressive... good win against oregon but lost to a mediocre USC followed up by a loss to MSU who beat only one good team all year

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174

i bet UCF with the 17 pts... but i can't believe this Baylor is lost on the read option

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Definitely a statement that top level AAC teams can compete with top level P5 teams.

Or a statement that Baylor is not a "top-level P5 team." This is their first BCS game too, after all.

What does that have to do with anything? Look at their schedule this season.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

This is the perfect ending to a horrible season for the Bulls!!

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Baylor's gonna steamroll the Mickey Mouse U.....the Bears have averaged 53 points a game.

Doesn't look like that's happening!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Man, Baylor scores quick