• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone Hoping UCF Wins Tonight?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

And Northern Illinois was 12-2. Records don't tell the whole story in college football.

Baylor has the best offense in the country, big wins vs TTU, Texas, they also beat oklahoma (another BCS team) by 30+

UCF with wins over UL, Houston, PSU... should have beat SC.

both are good teams... absolutely nothing like NIU

Good? I guess, but not much more than that. But that doesn't make what I said untrue. You offered their records as evidence, and NIU, which lost the same number of regular season games, is clear proof that the record doesn't tell the whole story. Is UCF exactly as good as Alabama, a team that finished with exactly the same record? Of course not. UCF went 11-1 in part because they are an above-average team, maybe, and in (larger) part because their schedule was a joke. You say they almost beat South Carolina - well they also almost lost to USF. You're cherry-picking facts here.

Schedule was a joke? I didn't see any Div. 1AA teams this year. Calling it a joke seems a little harsh.

Teams with a winning record that UCF beat this year:

Penn State (7-5)

Louisville (11-1)

Houston (8-4)

Joke is the right word. And because I anticipate you trying to make the Louisville win more than it really was, here's the teams with winning records the Cardinals beat:

Houston (8-4)

Cincinnati (8-4)

Ohio (7-5)

well they just manhandled the canes 31-9 :D

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Definitely a statement that top level AAC teams can compete with top level P5 teams. Everyone should take that away from this game. To deride it is to succumb to what ESPN and the P5 conferences want everyone to believe which is BS.

Edited by slick1ru2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Definitely a statement that top level AAC teams can compete with top level P5 teams.

Or a statement that Baylor is not a "top-level P5 team." This is their first BCS game too, after all.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Baylor thought they could just show up and win.

Definitely a statement that top level AAC teams can compete with top level P5 teams.

Or a statement that Baylor is not a "top-level P5 team." This is their first BCS game too, after all.

What about Oklahoma?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Baylor is  not impressive. 

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

... what about Oklahoma?

If you're saying Baylor is an elite team because of one win, then ... I'm just going to have to disagree with that. Sometimes there are just fluke results - when USF beat No. 9 Louisville 45-14 in 2005 (pretty similar to Baylor beating No. 10 Oklahoma 41-12 this year), were the Bulls an elite team? I'm not saying Baylor isn't a very good team - the Oklahoma win alone is way more impressive than anything UCF has done to this point - but I wouldn't put too much stock in the score of that game.

And Northern Illinois was 12-2. Records don't tell the whole story in college football.

Baylor has the best offense in the country, big wins vs TTU, Texas, they also beat oklahoma (another BCS team) by 30+

UCF with wins over UL, Houston, PSU... should have beat SC.

both are good teams... absolutely nothing like NIU

Good? I guess, but not much more than that. But that doesn't make what I said untrue. You offered their records as evidence, and NIU, which lost the same number of regular season games, is clear proof that the record doesn't tell the whole story. Is UCF exactly as good as Alabama, a team that finished with exactly the same record? Of course not. UCF went 11-1 in part because they are an above-average team, maybe, and in (larger) part because their schedule was a joke. You say they almost beat South Carolina - well they also almost lost to USF. You're cherry-picking facts here.

Schedule was a joke? I didn't see any Div. 1AA teams this year. Calling it a joke seems a little harsh.

Teams with a winning record that UCF beat this year:

Penn State (7-5)

Louisville (11-1)

Houston (8-4)

Joke is the right word. And because I anticipate you trying to make the Louisville win more than it really was, here's the teams with winning records the Cardinals beat:

Houston (8-4)

Cincinnati (8-4)

Ohio (7-5)

For comparison, Alabama beat six teams with winning records - and that includes LSU and Texas AM, each of whom had multiple impressive wins themselves. The only semi-impressive win on UCF's schedule is against a team that in fact has no impressive wins themselves.

Alabama... in their conference schedule... played 3 (of 8) teams with winning records and went 2-1 right? 

Outside of their conference schedule they play the Chattanooga mocs and the like.

*alabama is elite

Edited by Willie_T_For_Me

i think you are basically doubting the b12 in general i'd get that angle more so than what we are debating now.