• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Sign 4 JUCO Players

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Leavitt took heat from many on this Forum, senselessly I might add, because he took quite a few from the JUCO ranks. Now that Taggart's doing it, it's now somehow acceptable and preferred by those same charlatans. Special people on this Forum........short bus riders really. Bill Snyder at K-State has consistently lived off of great talent from the JUCO ranks and FSU is where they're at because they were able to pull in some studs from JUCO. Funny how the worm turns around this place, isn't it?

Team sucks right now so we need all the help we can get.

Worm hasn't turned, unless you're arguing that going Ju-co is ideal. It's not, but it is better than the alternative: 2-10.

Tell Jimbo Fisher it's not ideal prior to him leaving for the National Championship game since you're up there in Tally. I knew throwing a lure out I'd be able to reel in one of the resident short bus riders at TBP. :roflmao:

Wow. I'm a "short bus rider" (take THAT handicapped people!) because I don't think that having a high percentage of Ju-co transfers is a good thing.

Sure, FSU has a few. Every team has a few. I'm glad we took these. But it isn't the ideal situation. I'll let others explain why (if they want to) because unlike you I don't have the time to get into a five-page discourse about it, which won't accomplish anything anyways.

Since when did four out of 31 become a high percentage?

Depends on what the norm for JUCO signings is. If it's 1 out of 31, then I'd say 4 times the average IS high ... If the norm is 3,4 or more, then it wouldn't be high.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Leavitt took heat from many on this Forum, senselessly I might add, because he took quite a few from the JUCO ranks. Now that Taggart's doing it, it's now somehow acceptable and preferred by those same charlatans. Special people on this Forum........short bus riders really. Bill Snyder at K-State has consistently lived off of great talent from the JUCO ranks and FSU is where they're at because they were able to pull in some studs from JUCO. Funny how the worm turns around this place, isn't it?

Worm hasn't turned, unless you're arguing that going Ju-co is ideal. It's not, but it is better than the alternative: 2-10.

Tell Jimbo Fisher it's not ideal prior to him leaving for the National Championship game since you're up there in Tally. I knew throwing a lure out I'd be able to reel in one of the resident short bus riders at TBP. :roflmao:

Wow. I'm a "short bus rider" (take THAT handicapped people!) because I don't think that having a high percentage of Ju-co transfers is a good thing.

Sure, FSU has a few. Every team has a few. I'm glad we took these. But it isn't the ideal situation. I'll let others explain why (if they want to) because unlike you I don't have the time to get into a five-page discourse about it, which won't accomplish anything anyways.

Depends on what the norm for JUCO signings is. If it's 1 out of 31, then I'd say 4 times the average IS high ... If the norm is 3,4 or more, then it wouldn't be high.

Here's how the SEC looked last year.

http://www.saturdaymorningtailgate.com/2012/12/24/top-2013-sec-junior-college-players-football-signees/

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

Wouldn't we need 6 players to enroll early to have 31 signees this year?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

You need JUCO guys right now because you can't rely solely on the freshman you recruited. Taggart sees an immediate need at the positions he is singing JUCO guys at.

I'd say he needs more than usual because he is changing the offensive scheme from spread to power and this team still has a lot of spread players, particularly the O Line. We also took a hit at the D Line, need immediate impact there as well.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think you need more than the normal amount of JUCO guys here for at least this year and next to make up for the weak recruiting years Holtz had. We need to fill the void at key positions with some experience while the Freshman develop.

JUCO transfers are sort of college football's free agency market

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Is that the new math everyone speaks of?

Exactly!  I don't know that even in the Jim Leavitt years that we had even a dozen JUCOs on the team out of the 85 scholarship players.  So it's never been a high percentage.  People like to create their own reality way too often in this forum.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

So your telling us that you personally remember people who negatively posted about CJL taking JUCO players? Seriously? Keep in mind that CJL left in 2009.

There wasn't a large faction of posters that were against it but some here definitely criticized CJL for it. Even within the segment of the board that wanted CJL gone the ones that were vocal about the number of jucos were a minority.

I don't doubt that there was a segment that were against it, heck there's always a segment that's negative about each subject. I take exception to this portion of his post "those same charlatans. Special people on this Forum........short bus riders really". I get the feeling that hbryan is just negative about CWT simply because he isn't CJL.

He also believes that Taggart Inherited a program that was a "Corvette".... So take anything he says with a grain of salt.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

If you think about it, the system works for the TB Rays.

I don't think we can build a consistent winner from JUCO, but we can certainly plug a couple of holes.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

Mayes is not a juco. He went to prep school, which is essentially another year of high school. He will have his full 5 years eligibility including the redshirt year.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

Also, if we hit who we want we'll probably have 7-8 juco transfers this year. Which is high for us but we have a lot of depth issues.