• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Power 5 conferences: "let us provide more money to athletes or we will be looking to break away"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I hate this garbage. Why are you going to compensate players any further than they already are?

I'm graduating this Saturday with a degree I paid for with loans taken out on my name and grants that I alone earned. No familial support other than making my mom apply for loans that we knew she would get rejected for (so that I could receive more loans for myself). I'm 35k in debt because of college. For a few years I got a "need based grant" from USF for about 600/semester. That's all the help I ever got from them.

I've been whoring myself out via job applications and just got an outside sales job with a base pay. Which I'm still going to have to kill myself to make profitable for me.

These athletes come from similar situations. Some worse, some far better. And the school rewards most all of them with a full ride scholarship and plenty of other things like clothes and equipment to do their school work. And what? Some of them go on to use their football ability as a job application of its own, and many of them go on to make plenty of money playing football as a profession, whether its NFL or CFL or Arena or whatever.

The ones that leave early/without finishing their degree are wasting the opportunity they were given to complete an education that will get them a job somewhere else, should football not pan out or should they find their career ending faster than expected. And they get an opportunity to do so for free.

So why in God's name is there seriously some type of bull s* movement to potentially "compensate" these **** kids for doing something extracurricular like sports?

If they want to help out the kids in need, god damnit, allow kids like me to sign up for the list too.

I think the point is to compensate players for the amount of money they generate for the bigger programs and schools. No one ever bought a season ticket to a math class or subscribed to the the freshman English channel.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I hate this garbage. Why are you going to compensate players any further than they already are?

I'm graduating this Saturday with a degree I paid for with loans taken out on my name and grants that I alone earned. No familial support other than making my mom apply for loans that we knew she would get rejected for (so that I could receive more loans for myself). I'm 35k in debt because of college. For a few years I got a "need based grant" from USF for about 600/semester. That's all the help I ever got from them.

I've been whoring myself out via job applications and just got an outside sales job with a base pay. Which I'm still going to have to kill myself to make profitable for me.

These athletes come from similar situations. Some worse, some far better. And the school rewards most all of them with a full ride scholarship and plenty of other things like clothes and equipment to do their school work. And what? Some of them go on to use their football ability as a job application of its own, and many of them go on to make plenty of money playing football as a profession, whether its NFL or CFL or Arena or whatever.

The ones that leave early/without finishing their degree are wasting the opportunity they were given to complete an education that will get them a job somewhere else, should football not pan out or should they find their career ending faster than expected. And they get an opportunity to do so for free.

So why in God's name is there seriously some type of bull s* movement to potentially "compensate" these **** kids for doing something extracurricular like sports?

If they want to help out the kids in need, god damnit, allow kids like me to sign up for the list too.

I think the point is to compensate players for the amount of money they generate for the bigger programs and schools. No one ever bought a season ticket to a math class or subscribed to the the freshman English channel.

and it isn't like they do nothing other than play a game you go to watch. They practice-- quite a bit. Not all of them get any form of scholarship (walkons). The amount of time they work out and prepare justf or football is usually around 5 or 6 hours daily, every day

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Other non 5 conf teams have said they would sue under antitrust and collusion laws.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The concussion lawsuits will even the field.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

I believe all student athletes on scholarship will receive this stipend from football on down to golf and tennis...

As has been pointed out the non P5 didn't say they were against paying student athletes but that they haven't had a forum to sit down and discuss the situation adequately.

IF you want to learn about this, you need to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/System-Scandal-Big-Time-College-Football-ebook/dp/B00C0AM2XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386851497&sr=8-1&keywords=the+system+college+football

Of watch the documentary Schooled.

http://press.epixhd.com/programming/schooled-the-price-of-college-sports/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w44_6hjp4Mo

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

If this were to happen and USF is left behind in the Non Power 5 conferences than Doug and Judy for that matter need to be looked at for their roll or lack of roll in assuring USF lands in a Power conference.  Athletics would take a major hit, Most Donors would stop donating to the school, (not interested in seeing the teams compete against the likes from the non power schools on regular basis). Attendance would continue to drop and the school would bleed money from the athletic programs.

yes because they are soley the reason USF is not a storied football program with tons of history and money--- give it a rest

amen

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I get what you're saying and I can empathize (graduated 8 years ago and been paying off loans ever since and I still have $56K left to go!), but these are skill scholarships for students with special talents. They're all over USF, from academic programs to arts to leadership and international students. Every school does this to compete for the best students. In athletics, it's even more competitive, but also more valuable to the institution (except for academics). I agree that paying them extra is going too far, but the idea comes from the same overall philosophy: competing for the best students.

I think a better alternative to paying college players would be to allow high schoolers the opportunity to jump straight to the NFL, like basketball and baseball do. I don't really like that option either, but it's better than perverting the entire college football world.

Uh, you guys need to read the book that I posted. Its not all cut and dry. There is a lot of deception going on. There is a lot of empty,broken promises.  You have no idea what is going on in these programs until you read about it and what is happening to many of these athletes and how much money is involved. In a way, the system that the first NCAA commish came up with has brainwashed many. Read the book, become informed, and then form an opinion. Don't base it on normal college students, its a different world.

• Upvote 1