• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Power 5 conferences: "let us provide more money to athletes or we will be looking to break away"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

After reading the article I am a little baffled at what the non P5 conferences would have to gain by voting to let this happen unless you are talking about some kind of revenue sharing deal.

If the P5 wants to break off is that just for football? What if the other schools decided to not schedule them in other sports?

There are enough good basketball teams, lady basketball teams and other sports that 1. They could be competitive on their own and 2. Really screw up the college sports landscape.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

If this were to happen and USF is left behind in the Non Power 5 conferences than Doug and Judy for that matter need to be looked at for their roll or lack of roll in assuring USF lands in a Power conference.  Athletics would take a major hit, Most Donors would stop donating to the school, (not interested in seeing the teams compete against the likes from the non power schools on regular basis). Attendance would continue to drop and the school would bleed money from the athletic programs.

yes because they are soley the reason USF is not a storied football program with tons of history and money--- give it a rest

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

doug has said on air he would match whatever the power 5 do as far as stipends go.

nothing to worry about there

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

doug has said on air he would match whatever the power 5 do as far as stipends go.

true enough-- playing field leveled (sort of)

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Would USF be allowed to make stipends if this goes through? The article seems to suggest that the non power 5 teams are saying they couldn't afford the stipends and are ok with the power 5 being allowed to do it as long as there is oversight...I think this is a plain concession to the power 5 and they surely don't want that advantage to also go to non-power 5 leagues.

Edited by bullcocky101

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

If USF matches what the "Big 5" does... we should be fine... if they can't or won't... yikes.

Edited by jasonb56

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

If USF matches what the "Big 5" does... we should be fine... if they can't or won't... yikes.

Most of these Power-five programs make eight times what USF makes. . . . . . . . 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

From 2011

General comments from Woolard: “The new legislation adopted by member schools and the NCAA Board of Directors sends a strong message that student-athlete welfare must remain at the forefront of decisions we make.â€

Regarding permissive legislation allowing multi-year scholarships and for student-athletes to receive an additional $2,000 in athletics aid: “USF is supportive of the adjustments made related to the provision and permissible amount of scholarships. Multi-year scholarships will enable student-athletes, and their families, to more effectively plan for the funding of their college educations.

“The new legislation that will allow full-scholarship student-athletes to receive additional athletics aid up to the cost of attendance or $2,000 (whichever is less) will enable universities to provide athletics aid that more closely aligns with the true cost of a college education. Currently, NCAA rules cap a “full scholarship†at the cost of tuition, fees, room, board and books.  The new legislation essentially provides the flexibility to account for modest incidental expenses related to a student-athlete’s enrollment - e.g. school supplies, transportation to and from campus, etc.â€

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/woolard-comments-on-new-ncaa-legislation/

--------------------------------

I know we've taken a hit the past couple of years.  But whether you support or hate them or their decisions, Doug and Judy have ALWAYS been consistent that USF should be at the top level in EVERYTHING from academics to athletics.  They know it could be a permanent blow to be relegated to a lower tier.

They could probably even save all of the bonus money from the conference raids to help them pay for the stipends.  Several million dollars earning interest over the next few years surely can help.  (May help explain why any OCS discussion is off the table.)  Also remember that several BCS teams (particularly in the ACC) voted AGAINST the stipend last time when it was $2000.

Edited by dogma

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

I hate this garbage. Why are you going to compensate players any further than they already are?

I'm graduating this Saturday with a degree I paid for with loans taken out on my name and grants that alone earned. No familial support other than making my mom apply for loans that we knew she would get rejected for (so that I could receive more loans for myself). I'm 35k in debt because of college. For a few years I got a "need based grant" from USF for about 600/semester. That's all the help I ever got from them.

I've been whoring myself out via job applications and just got an outside sales job with a base pay. Which I'm still going to have to kill myself to make profitable for me. 

These athletes come from similar situations. Some worse, some far better. And the school rewards most all of them with a full ride scholarship and plenty of other things like clothes and equipment to do their school work. And what? Some of them go on to use their football ability as a job application of its own, and many of them go on to make plenty of money playing football as a profession, whether its NFL or CFL or Arena or whatever. 

The ones that leave early/without finishing their degree are wasting the opportunity they were given to complete an education that will get them a job somewhere else, should football not pan out or should they find their career ending faster than expected. And they get an opportunity to do so for free.

So why in God's name is there seriously some type of bull s* movement to potentially "compensate" these **** kids for doing something extracurricular like sports? 

If they want to help out the kids in need, god damnit, allow kids like me to sign up for the list too. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Would USF be allowed to make stipends if this goes through? The article seems to suggest that the non power 5 teams are saying they couldn't afford the stipends and are ok with the power 5 being allowed to do it as long as there is oversight...I think this is a plain concession to the power 5 and they surely don't want that advantage to also go to non-power 5 leagues.

So this would be something that only the P5 could do? Who is to say that we can't match if we were financially capable to do it and subsequently choose to do so?