• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White's success: Any impact on recruiting?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Flowers has a baseball history (throwing vs catching), 70% high school completion percentage, took his school to a state championship and was recruited by the SEC as a qb?

What years did Flowers play baseball for Jackson? This is the first I've ever heard mention of his baseball background.

I think he's sarcastically referring to Mike White

Gotcha. I just scrolled down and saw that at the end and did a little "WTF?" Though I did play against a Cape Coral team with Teddy Dupay and Earnest Graham in the outfield once. A lot of kids from other sports are athletic enough to be pretty good high school baseball players.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I think with Mike it brings hope back to our team and our brand. When there's no offense, nobody wants any of that.

I mean nothing kills recruiting like no offensive TD for so many quarters...

The bus is back on the road!

Edited by Beta4East1989

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Good QB's aren't scared of competition. See all the major programs that constantly pull in 4 and 5 star prospects. If he truly thinks he's a QB he'll come here and compete

And they also leave to go to other programs where they have a better chance of starting ie Bench.

Yes, after they come in and compete and it becomes clear they won't ever get a chance to start. But what's relevant is they come in and compete and aren't scared of competition. A kid like Flowers in a situation where he doesn't win a battle at QB he could easily switch to another position and make and impact or be a change of pace running QB that us utilized in sub packages weekly.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Can someone edit that title. I wouldn't want the father of one of our more intelligent recruits to come here and read that. My first language English isn't, Sorry Jup.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Good QB's aren't scared of competition. See all the major programs that constantly pull in 4 and 5 star prospects. If he truly thinks he's a QB he'll come here and compete

And they also leave to go to other programs where they have a better chance of starting ie Bench.

Yes, after they come in and compete and it becomes clear they won't ever get a chance to start. But what's relevant is they come in and compete and aren't scared of competition. A kid like Flowers in a situation where he doesn't win a battle at QB he could easily switch to another position and make and impact or be a change of pace running QB that us utilized in sub packages weekly.

The only reason he is committed here is due to us wanting him as a QB. If he was open to playing another position we wouldn't even be on his radar. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If he wants to play WR, he can go to Alabama.

Yup and he still gets that shot here regardless of what Mike White is doing. His lack of openness to other positions would definitely change if it became apparent he was on the short side of the competition at QB, no matter where he ultimately signs. See Grady, Josh....Grady was only considering schools who wanted him at QB but once he got on campus and saw he wasn't going to see the field at QB he switched positions. The kids just want a fair shot to see the field at their position of choice but ultimately PT wins out.

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Or Manzell's backup, who transferred.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Flowers has a baseball history (throwing vs catching), 70% high school completion percentage, took his school to a state championship and was recruited by the SEC as a qb?

Wait, now you are trying to say that White was recruited by an SEC team to play QB?

Really?

Ok, I'll bite.  Was he recruited or offered?  

Considering his lack of offers at QB I think he would have even less opportunities to play QB after getting on campus and not being able to see the field. I'd think he'd have to drop down a classification to get an opportunity to play QB all Brion Carnes. The good news is though that Flowers is a definite redshirt at QB and would basically have 3 years to refine his game if White is as good as we all hope.