• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What's on my mind about the QB position

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

if bench is healthy to go and coach t has given up on him so soon that is not a good sign

I would imagine we will recruit a lot of juco players

if not next year will be another bad year

this team needs real talent that can step in and play football

+1

Bench may not have the best numbers but there's no reason to give up on him so soon that is unless he's not 100%.Then it makes perfect sense.

Playing musical chairs with the QB's makes it that much harder for the offense to click.

Of course what do I know, the only coaching experience I have is from my PS3.

the guy had plenty of time to show Tags what he has to offer. obviously he didn't make a very good impression on him.

no sense wasting valuable playing time on a guy that is not the answer. you do not need to give a guy a full season to understand what his strengths and weaknesses are. his skill set is very apperent by now.

he's not very accurate, turns it over plenty and doesn't even run all that well which was supposed to be a strength.

Don't quite get how you dis a guy for not moving well when he is struggling with a knee sprain. And exactly how many full series did he play while healthy? He hasn't had that many opportunities to shine while healthy.

I'm not dising him. if he has health concerns already then that takes away what was supposed to be a strength (his running ability).which BTW could be an ongoing concern because of the way he plays(I love the aggressiveness but as a QB you are more likely to get injured when running aggressively)he was never an accurate passer. Tags has seen plenty in games as well as practice to know if he will be a good fit for the future.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Tags also saw enough of Floyd to name him starter, Eveld to name him next, Bench to name him next and now White. So not sure what any of those decisions tell us about Coach's evaluation abilities.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Tags also saw enough of Floyd to name him starter, Eveld to name him next, Bench to name him next and now White. So not sure what any of those decisions tell us about Coach's evaluation abilities.

the way the guy scrambled in the offseason to find someone other than eveld or floyd made it obvious he didn't believe in either one of them.

he tried for the kid from FSU, the guy from Arkansas , and finally got Bench. anyone that could play this year.

he really wasn't able to evaluate him all that much before signing him so he was unknown.

it's quite possible he felt White had the most upside right from the get go but just wasn't ready yet.

he did the best with the cards he was dealt. all you can ask of him.

for what it's worth it seems as though the other two were flame outs as well. neither is very impresssive. they all had one thing in common, they didn't win the starting jobs and their former coaches probably encouraged them to transfer.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Is Floyd still the captain of the offense?  I remember he was elected by the players at the beginning of the year.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Is Floyd still the captain of the offense? I remember he was elected by the players at the beginning of the year.

He was a captain on Saturday

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  111
  • Days Won:  0

While NONE of the first three have come close to be just average, the QB still needs help. Houston plays a freshman at QB. I know there's no way of knowing, but I would like to see him with the USF offense. When your line can't block and your recievers can't catch...

I wonder if a QB recruit would want to come in here and get his butt pounded week in and week out with little to no help?

We play two true freshmen at qb. Someties we alternate O'Korn for his backup Ward, who is a dual threat and can air it out. (Threw a 60 yard td pass against BYU when they thought he was going to run.)

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  135
  • Days Won:  0

Our fan base has been spoiled with Grothe and Daniels as uber exciting QB's and they made our offense better than it should have been.  I feel White is probably a good qb (leadership, decision making) and I feel we are about as good as an offense as I was expected going into this season.  I was expecting Eveld to get injured again and I was expecting Floyd to be a turnover machine.  When we brought in Bench many on here knew he wasn't a full time answer but a good addition to depth.  I think ultimately we are all concerned about when the excitement will return to the position.

Well I'm here to tell you we need to let Taggart do his thing and recruit some guys to do the job.  We have two of the more athletic DTQB's in FL committed to us right now so we can rest a little easier that if this doesn't work out with pocket passers I think Taggart will bring in a guy who can give the AAC fits with his arm and his legs and bring the USF swag back.  On top of that we will have a traditional running game for once in our existence and it will be better than this season too.  We will have our guys through a REAL strength and conditioning program this off season with Straub. 

Bresnahan has showed he is getting the defense on track after the trainwreck last season with Cosh.  With a better offense this defense will really show it's effectiveness. 

There are rough times ahead for this team and the offense in particular.  Memphis may be the only game we win the rest of the season if things stay the same. 

However,

If Taggart wants to get creative like he says he does he may have to put Lamar Robbins (and other freshmen on offense and let him run some routes with Mcfarland and Price.  He needs to give White some big targets and quick outlets to get rid of the ball quick.  If Shaw can stay healthy then we have our home run hitter right there.  Let's go out swinging like real men and if we fail we'll have a new QB competition next season.

Maybe he hasn't put White in until now because he had no faith the o-line could protect an inexperienced QB? His exploration of putting defensive players might make sense in that context. Trying to keep White from getting destroyed while trying to make something happen on offense?

Who knows but at least I'll give him credit for thinking outside the box instead of throwing his hands up and floating through until next year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

We just recruited two qbs... So, they will be learning the system NEXT year, MIGHT start the following year, and know the system in... 2016.

That just seems to be the motto of USF football. "just give it three years".

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

The way the Bench experiment ended was no surprise to me. He is a good back up and game manager. Hopefully White has the goods.

I wouldn't count Bench out yet. I think the kid has a gamer's mentality, and it's just a matter of getting physically healthy.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Bench saw the field 49372829283 times better than Eveld did on Saturday. Kid tried to be a playmaker but under-threw his receiver and got pick 6'ed. Lets not forget the possession before he marched us down the field but Tice fumbled on the 18 yard line.

I'd hope they'd give Bench more of a chance than he's seen. Let him get 100%.

Edited by Hem