• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White is starting against Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

I haven't seen very many people saying anything about CWT being on a hot seat or his job in any way in jeopardy by users on this message board. I don't think there is anything so drama laden like you are suggesting either-- he is working the guys on his team and following their progress. I have heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of the coaches that they almost sent White into the game at UConn but one of the coaches pulled him back at the last minute. This was coming eventually. We won that game-- so it all worked there. I doubt even with White starting we had any real shot at UL. I just hope he has some decent success when we play Houston

Oh we would have had a zero chance at UL if White started.  That is why it had to come at the end after that INT.  It was certainly a "drama laden" statement by the coaching staff.  Why else would you take out a perfectly healthy 2nd string QB at the end of a blowout? It was certainly not to keep him healthy. Matt Floyd would have been good enough for that.  We will have great success at Houston.  Just bullieve it and it will be.
so the guy with that huge brace on his knee was perfectly healthy to you?
  And the guy with the knee brace wasn't the 2nd string qb either ...

I understand that at one point he was the starter but for the game that day he was our backup qb. That was why I called him our 2nd string qb.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If the Cincy & UConn games said anything, it was that 1) we had a pretty strong D when given a little rest, and 2) we needed a better field general on offense. I agree with both of you guys, White's time was due, we're desperate for production, and for some help for our D.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  2

I probably would have stuck with Bench and never let Eveld see the field again, but I understand the decision to go with White. CWT is a desperate man looking for any spark whatsoever. I hope it works out. I still remember in 2006 when Pat Julmiste went down in the opener. Julmiste, up until this year, had been one of the worst QB's in USF history. They brought in Grothe and the rest is history. He just had "it", and you could tell it immediately. Here's hoping we have found a diamond in the rough.

Are you still trying to pass of this convoluted version of USF football history?

The first game of the 2006 season was against an FCS team (1-AA then) and the game plan itself called for Julmiste to start and Grothe to come in for the second half. It was going to happen even without the injury--- which only prompted Grothe to come in a little earlier than planned.

It was a little ironic that in the Papa John's Bowl that year, Grothe got us a nice lead and then suffered an injury allowing Pat Julmiste to finish up the game and his Bulls career on the field.

Julmiste was not god's gift to the QB position but he had his moments. That 2005 season was not about the QB anyway-- it was all about Andre Hall. I really don't understand why he gets crapped on even 7 years later by people who probably couldn't carry his jock. There were games where if not for Julmiste, we would have lost-- TCU and ECU are prime examples. I guess it is entirely possible that you are remember the exploits of Ronnie Banks-- who was very bad and who Julmiste took the reigns from.

Julmiste was terrible except for a couple games like TCU. However Leavitt chose to start him coming out of camp. At that point no one knew what we had with Grothe. Julmiste was a bad passer but he could run the ball. And yes I remember banks also. I remember every QB back to Barnhart unlike some others on here. I don't remember Leavitt saying grothe would at second half so if that's true I was wrong.

Hey a Barnhardt reference. He was my football coach when I was in high school! I had no idea of his past with USF and sadly I didn't even know who USF was. I remember my freshman year of college, coming back to my hometown and seeing him in the football stands. He was no longer a coach there. Had a talk with him about USF. Super nice guy.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  151

If the Cincy & UConn games said anything, it was that 1) we had a pretty strong D when given a little rest, and 2) we needed a better field general on offense. I agree with both of you guys, White's time was due, we're desperate for production, and for some help for our D.

This. I think that if we can get Shaw back in time for Houston then it will help White out incredibly. Our D needs to stay off the field for at least a few 1st downs to catch their breath. Our D, if rested, could really do so,e damage to an offense as we have seen with UL.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

WeWere#2Once is the best username I've seen on here.

Edited by Leviathan
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Give him a shot.  We already burned his redshirt and he can't be any worse than Eveld or Floyd.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Give him a shot.  We already burned his redshirt and he can't be any worse than Eveld or Floyd.

We hope

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334

I'm not sure if this was brought up already but another reason he might be going with white on a short week is because it will allow CWT two weeks to walk through any mistakes he was making before the next game against memphis. Much like schiano's reasoning with glennon.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

I'm not sure if this was brought up already but another reason he might be going with white on a short week is because it will allow CWT two weeks to walk through any mistakes he was making before the next game against memphis. Much like schiano's reasoning with glennon.

Hope he's got nerves of steel.  Making your starting debut on the road in an NFL stadium in prime time is serious business.  That said, he's going to see a high school peer doing it on the opposite sideline so maybe confidence wont be an issue.  Excited to see what he is all about.

Edited by inTransit

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Hope he's got nerves of steel.  Making your starting debut on the road in an NFL stadium in prime time is serious business.  That said, he's going to see a high school peer doing it on the opposite sideline so maybe confidence wont be an issue.  Excited to see what he is all about.

"If O'Korn can do it, why can't I?"