• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Day of Reckoning for UM, could help USF...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

And I thought Florida fans were bad...

What does our school being a "commuter school" have to do with anything? 82% of people live off campus at USF. 69% live off campus at Miami. 76% live off campus at Florida. Are they a commuter school too? 79.7% of students live off campus at FSU. Surely they too are a commuter school

Edited by NinjaPenguin777

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

And I thought Florida fans were bad...

The difference is UF's confident enough in their school and football team that they don't have to go around trying to convince people of how good they are.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  276

Hear what?? You actually have to have explained to you how paying players/potential players at a fishing tournament could a help a program? You actually have to have explained to you how NCAA sanctions rarely fall on those responsible but rather innocent staff and players? .... Stupid AND naive it is.

Quit living in the 90's. The NCAA has set a recent precedent for punishing former coaches more than current schools.

And I love the insults. Reminds me of 3rd grade.

I haven't read all the recent news. What was Clint Hurtt's punishment from the NCAA?

Did you not see the 2-year show-cause?

Hurtt will be fired by Louisville and won't be able to work as a coach for 2 years, possibly never again.

See, generally, Butch Davis, currently working as a "consultant" for the Bucs.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Hear what?? You actually have to have explained to you how paying players/potential players at a fishing tournament could a help a program? You actually have to have explained to you how NCAA sanctions rarely fall on those responsible but rather innocent staff and players? .... Stupid AND naive it is.

Quit living in the 90's. The NCAA has set a recent precedent for punishing former coaches more than current schools.

I haven't read all the recent news. What was Clint Hurtt's punishment from the NCAA?

Hurtt will be fired by Louisville and won't be able to work as a coach for 2 years, possibly never again.

UL has already announced they're not firing him.

For a team with such a storied history, Miami hasn't done anything lately past this year. You guys have won 9 games three times since 2004.  Other than that you haven't won more than 7. You haven't even won a bowl game since 2006. You're trying to put down a football team that's been around since 1997 vs a Miami team that has been around for a lot longer. Maybe you should look more into your team's history. Real classy university. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/824471-miami-hurricanes-football-scandal-ncaas-top-5-infamous-programs/page/5

Here's my favorite part of the article:

Everybody is aware of Miami's current situation which could land it the death penalty, as numerous players have been named in a scandal which dates back to 2002.  That scandal involved paying over a million dollars to Miami football players, including $50,000 to NFL athlete Vince Wilfork.

So your favorite part of the article involves a sentence that states (as if it was a fact) that over a MILLION dollars was paid to Miami players, when the reality is that the NCAA, using Bankruptcy Court proceedings, could not even establish a fraction of that (part of the money that UM paid to the Bankrupcty Court was a payback of donations made to UM, which was nearly $60K.  Then you have about $80K paid to 2 guys to sign with a particular sports agent after their eligibility had expired.

Therefore, the NCAA was able to substantiate less than $30K of extra benefits paid to players during their playing days.

Brilliant.

But I'm glad you enjoyed that fact-free section of the "Bleacher Report" article.

You guys actually believe that your players weren't paid...Gotcha. Keep living with your head in the sand

UL has already announced they're not firing him.

Uh...that's not true.  He's fired as an assistant coach.  He can stay on staff as a non-coach, so he's likely to be the assistant DFO or some such.  This is just the saving of face on Louisville's part.  You want to start laying odds on whether they still employ Hurtt in January or beyond?

Besides, the question posed involved the NCAA's punishment of Hurtt.  And that is a substantial punishment.  Every other coach who has received a show-cause has been fired.  If Louisville wants to "look good" by keeping Hurtt in a non-coaching capacity, I will allow you to hazard a guess as to why that might be.

For a team with such a storied history, Miami hasn't done anything lately past this year. You guys have won 9 games three times since 2004.  Other than that you haven't won more than 7. You haven't even won a bowl game since 2006. You're trying to put down a football team that's been around since 1997 vs a Miami team that has been around for a lot longer. Maybe you should look more into your team's history. Real classy university. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/824471-miami-hurricanes-football-scandal-ncaas-top-5-infamous-programs/page/5

Here's my favorite part of the article:

Everybody is aware of Miami's current situation which could land it the death penalty, as numerous players have been named in a scandal which dates back to 2002.  That scandal involved paying over a million dollars to Miami football players, including $50,000 to NFL athlete Vince Wilfork.

So your favorite part of the article involves a sentence that states (as if it was a fact) that over a MILLION dollars was paid to Miami players, when the reality is that the NCAA, using Bankruptcy Court proceedings, could not even establish a fraction of that (part of the money that UM paid to the Bankrupcty Court was a payback of donations made to UM, which was nearly $60K.  Then you have about $80K paid to 2 guys to sign with a particular sports agent after their eligibility had expired.

Therefore, the NCAA was able to substantiate less than $30K of extra benefits paid to players during their playing days.

Brilliant.

But I'm glad you enjoyed that fact-free section of the "Bleacher Report" article.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9859464/miami-hurricanes-told-expect-ncaa-decision

Shapiro said he spent millions between 2002 and 2010 on football and men's basketball recruits, athletes and coaches. A study of the allegations by The Associated Press found the NCAA was able to identify only about $173,330 in so-called extra benefits. Still, the institutional control charge is considered the worst that the governing body for college sports can bring against a member school.

I guess ESPN didn't fact check either did they? Maybe you should fact check or math check. You left off about $170,000

Edited by NinjaPenguin777

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Uh...that's not true.  He's fired as an assistant coach.  He can stay on staff as a non-coach, so he's likely to be the assistant DFO or some such.  This is just the saving of face on Louisville's part.  You want to start laying odds on whether they still employ Hurtt in January or beyond?

Uh ... if he's fired, that means he's no longer on staff, PERIOD.  Yet we have an announcement he is remaining on staff.  

I think the word you're looking for is "demoted," and you have no evidence at this time that that has happened. 

Hurtt will be on staff at UL as long as Charlie Strong has anything to say about it.  When Hurtt stops bringing in players like Bridgewater, that's when he becomes expendable.  

• Upvote 1