• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woolard has to go ASAP.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Woolard hired Skip, who had done well at ECU. He fired him after a couple bad seasons. he's brought in Taggart who everyone is in love with. he has nothing to do with this team outside of that. People are idiots.

That is absolutely ridiculous. ADs do not just hire coaches. They set the tone for the entire department, and right now this department is a complete shambles. USF is completely hopeless as long as people keep thinking the way you're thinking.
I work for an AD. I know what they do. He's done everything you'd expect a AD to do
Is there an expectation that the AD do those things well, or is it okay just to do them with no accountability for the results of those actions?
Hold him accountable in 2 years when we see how well Willie is doing...
He'll be taking his golden parachute by then. We can't let him have two more years.

It's not just football either. Look at how little momentum carried forward from the basketball team going to the NCAA tournament. It was the same lethargic crowd in a nicer building. And speaking of no accountability, how long do we let Lelo miss the NCAAs before he's finally gone? He's on 8 years and counting, and that's the easiest sport on campus to do well in.

Doug has set a tone of mediocrity and indifference. That's why UCF has blown past us as a department on his watch.

only football is better....

hasn't their baseball team gone to ncaa last couple of years?

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Woolard hired Skip, who had done well at ECU. He fired him after a couple bad seasons. he's brought in Taggart who everyone is in love with. he has nothing to do with this team outside of that. People are idiots.

That is absolutely ridiculous. ADs do not just hire coaches. They set the tone for the entire department, and right now this department is a complete shambles. USF is completely hopeless as long as people keep thinking the way you're thinking.
I work for an AD. I know what they do. He's done everything you'd expect a AD to do
Is there an expectation that the AD do those things well, or is it okay just to do them with no accountability for the results of those actions?
Hold him accountable in 2 years when we see how well Willie is doing...
He'll be taking his golden parachute by then. We can't let him have two more years.

It's not just football either. Look at how little momentum carried forward from the basketball team going to the NCAA tournament. It was the same lethargic crowd in a nicer building. And speaking of no accountability, how long do we let Lelo miss the NCAAs before he's finally gone? He's on 8 years and counting, and that's the easiest sport on campus to do well in.

Doug has set a tone of mediocrity and indifference. That's why UCF has blown past us as a department on his watch.

only football is better....

Football is like a hundred times better, MBB is equal, baseball is better, some of the Olympic sports are better. The thing is when Doug got here, you would be laughed out of the room for even thinking UCF was CLOSE to USF's athletic peer. Now they've passed us.

Edited by Jamie

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

At the risk of making myself sound stupid, which I do quite often when speaking on matters that I don't know much about...

When Woolard agreed to terms with Taggart, does anyone else feel that a 5-year $1.5 million contract was excessive?

Obviously if Taggart did or does turn out to be a great coach, it will seem like a no-brainer. However, Woolard already had egg on his face from paying a coach with a little success in the mid-majors $1.5 million and extending his contract for five years after going 13-12.

Yet, after seeing the Holtz meltdown he hires another moderately successful mid-major coach as the successor and signs him to a five-year $1.5 million deal without having proven anything. If you're a fairly stable program like Cincinnati and can poach diamonds in the rough like Brian Kelly and Butch Jones, then I can see it.

Now, I can also see paying that or more for some of the bigger name coaches allegedly in the running at the time like Houston Nutt or Bobby Petrino. While they may or may not have been better choices, they could use their experience in the SEC and successes in the higher tiers of football as leverage in bargaining.

But why did Taggart deserve this? Why not a shorter or more incentive-based contract? I'd think with an unproven coach, especially after already getting burned, your bargaining position has to be "win and then we'll talk big money."

I want Taggart to work out, and I think he needs three years before we call for his job, but I think from the get-go, Woolard did not learn from past mistakes and is being reckless with Athletics money and the future of USF football. The Taggart contract could leave us on the hook for paying another failed coach. In three years, we should be negotiating a big-money extension with Taggart or parting ways, not potentially paying a terminated coach for the second time in a row and digging for change in the couch cushions to find another mid-major replacement.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

Every which way you evaluate Woolard, what has happened to the entire athletic program has been a complete disaster. Facilities were absolutely necessary and are not a Woolard thing; it would have been done by the next best (aka better) guy.

On: 

Attendance

MBB conference performance

Conference situation

Marketing

Football conference performance

Stadium (Colorado State is getting a new one, as is Tulane, Houston, etc) 

The programs that have surpassed us

Management decisions - we are paying Skip for the talent on this field still

etc etc etc

He has failed at each one. How he has a job just appalls me and makes me sick. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

At the risk of making myself sound stupid, which I do quite often when speaking on matters that I don't know much about...

When Woolard agreed to terms with Taggart, does anyone else feel that a 5-year $1.5 million contract was excessive?

Obviously if Taggart did or does turn out to be a great coach, it will seem like a no-brainer. However, Woolard already had egg on his face from paying a coach with a little success in the mid-majors $1.5 million and extending his contract for five years after going 13-12.

Yet, after seeing the Holtz meltdown he hires another moderately successful mid-major coach as the successor and signs him to a five-year $1.5 million deal without having proven anything. If you're a fairly stable program like Cincinnati and can poach diamonds in the rough like Brian Kelly and Butch Jones, then I can see it.

Now, I can also see paying that or more for some of the bigger name coaches allegedly in the running at the time like Houston Nutt or Bobby Petrino. While they may or may not have been better choices, they could use their experience in the SEC and successes in the higher tiers of football as leverage in bargaining.

But why did Taggart deserve this? Why not a shorter or more incentive-based contract? I'd think with an unproven coach, especially after already getting burned, your bargaining position has to be "win and then we'll talk big money."

I want Taggart to work out, and I think he needs three years before we call for his job, but I think from the get-go, Woolard did not learn from past mistakes and is being reckless with Athletics money and the future of USF football. The Taggart contract could leave us on the hook for paying another failed coach. In three years, we should be negotiating a big-money extension with Taggart or parting ways, not potentially paying a terminated coach for the second time in a row and digging for change in the couch cushions to find another mid-major replacement.

Taggart gets paid about $1.1M per year.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  183
  • Days Won:  0

Yes. He has. I'm not ashamed to say it. Are there ADs who could do better? Probably. No matter what the hindsight is Skip was a good hire that had a lot of people excited.

Please do not procreate.
What would changing the AD have done? You think most ADs wouldn't have hired Skip?

Some people are insanely irrational right now. I'm going to step away.

Thank you. Don't expose your stupidity anymore.
No one has been able to give ANY reason why Woolard has done a bad job outside of the extension.

So think about that stupidity tag.

1. Handling CJL firing

3. Hiring McCullum

2. Not pushing to have ESPN's first offer accepted

3. Hiring Holtz

4. Extending Holtz

5. Waiting to extend Fernandez

6. Keeping Prado

7. Not getting creative in TV deal with NBC

8. Not positioning USF in the conference expansion discussion (understand decision not his, but he made no effort to make the program look f*ckable)

McCullum was hired by LRS

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

Woolard has done less with more, more than any other executive in the history of organizations. 

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

1. Handling CJL firing - That was handled by the BOT and Genshaft.

3. Hiring McCullum - Didn't Selmon make that hire?

2. Not pushing to have ESPN's first offer accepted - He might have done that, no one knows. Even if he didn't, the majority of this fanbase didn't want us to do that.

3. Hiring Holtz - You can't say it didn't seem like a solid hire at the time...

4. Extending Holtz - Agreed

5. Waiting to extend Fernandez - he's still with USF. Most smaller sports coaches don't get extensions until the end.

6. Keeping Prado - Agreed, but its baseball.

7. Not getting creative in TV deal with NBC - What???

8. Not positioning USF in the conference expansion discussion (understand decision not his, but he made no effort to make the program look f*ckable) - How didn't he? He built new track, soccer, baseball, softball, and reno'd the basketball arena. UConn lost that battle too.

See above.

I wouldn't be upset if they canned him, but he's not the sole problem here. Holtz's giant recruiting mistakes, some bad coaching/play calling, and crappy circumstances are more responsible.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  2

He hasn't been perfect by no means but he is still signing some nice OOC games, hired Stan Heath?, and was able to extend the girls softball coach. I wonder who he would plat at QB? Hell, I wonder if he can passblock 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Joe, stop trying. When a knuckle head said that the DEPARTMENT is in shambles, you should've known that you couldn't win. Apparently the DEPARTMENT consists of the football team.