• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is why Leavitt is #1 in my book for making USF great

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

What was CJL's record after 3 games?

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  0

1-2 and after 4 games he was 1-3.  We beat Kentucky westlyn (sp) then lost the next 3 in a row.

We went 5-6 in our 1st year.   CJL had 3 years to build a team, teach them his ways, his schemes, recruit, etc.  

People stop having unrealistic outlooks and expectations.  It will take time to rebuild what CJL started adn what Skippy Destroyed

Edited by Frishmanflz
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

When are we going to stop reminiscing about being number 2....? It was a really cool/fun/exciting time but we weren't a top team. Not even close. Something fell our way combined with a pair of our best wins and we were number 2. Then we went on a losing streak and capped it off with a massacre in El paso at the hands of a 5th string qb.

Let's look to the future, everyone knows it WAS better. Unfortunatelythe oonly thing ahead of us is the future.

• Upvote 1

So CJL built a team from scratch and could still put up 80 on a 1-AA team at home?

• Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  297
  • Days Won:  2

One of the things I admired about CJL was that he was quite vocal about being the Bobby Bowden or JoePa of USF.  He had offers from Alabama and the alike during his tenure, but turned them down to stay with the team he built. 

Had Holtz or Taggart experienced a great amount of a success, greener pastures would call, and they'd leave us in the dust.  We are a stepping stone to them.  Even if Taggart turns things around in a few years, I can't expect him to stay put (although with Tampa ties, who knows)

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  0

So CJL built a team from scratch and could still put up 80 on a 1-AA team at home?

Yup CJL built a team from scratch, and after 3 years of planning, building, recruiting, and taking the field he hung 80 on the worst team in college football.  And after 8 months, with only a handful of his players he recruited, CWT has us at 0-3.  Yeah its a fair comparison....sigh

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

USF's single biggest mistake was firing him.

Whether you agree or disagree with the firing, he wasn't canned because of what he did on the field.

I think he was ... Booster(s) wanted him out because we hadn't win a title.

Be careful what you wish for!

But he got himself fired.  Blame him for acting incredibly stupid once the story broke.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

USF's single biggest mistake was firing him.

Whether you agree or disagree with the firing, he wasn't canned because of what he did on the field.

I think he was ... Booster(s) wanted him out because we hadn't win a title.

I believe this is true.  Well they got what they deserve, fans are leaving in droves, I wonder how many fans were in the stands at the end of the game.  Donors are leaving, recruits will be next.

Yup CJL built a team from scratch, and after 3 years of planning, building, recruiting, and taking the field he hung 80 on the worst team in college football. And after 8 months, with only a handful of his players he recruited, CWT has us at 0-3. Yeah its a fair comparison....sigh

You're right, it's not fair. Leavitt had never coached a college game before in his life and 95% of his players hadn't played one either.