• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT HIRE DOUG WILLIAMS FOR QBs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I don't really care.  A conference championship as a staff member doesn't make you particularly great.  This is a really weird thread.

Look, Holtzie won his conference as you often point out.  And it was a toughie like C-USA, right, not the MEAC or SEAC.  We see how that panned out as a barometer of potential success.

And he had similar success in his first 3 years a UConn, 2 losing, 1 winning,  as he did at USF, and year 5 was the year they went to the playoffs. And? Other, older programs have been more patient and not fired coaches after 1.5 seasons of losing. Fast food mentality. Same applies to the QB situation. Nature of the game for programs to go up and down in success and skill positions go up and down in talent.

I don't see how anyone that watches football over the decades can look at a program and say 'coach _______ killed the program' and believe it.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't really care.  A conference championship as a staff member doesn't make you particularly great.  This is a really weird thread.

Look, Holtzie won his conference as you often point out.  And it was a toughie like C-USA, right, not the MEAC or SEAC.  We see how that panned out as a barometer of potential success.

And he had similar success in his first 3 years a UConn, 2 losing, 1 winning,  as he did at USF, and year 5 was the year they went to the playoffs. And? Other, older programs have been more patient and not fired coaches after 1.5 seasons of losing. Fast food mentality. Same applies to the QB situation. Nature of the game for programs to go up and down in success and skill positions go up and down in talent.

I don't see how anyone that watches football over the decades can look at a program and say 'coach _______ killed the program' and believe it.

Wait.  Is this the same guy that wanted to fire the DC before he coached a game?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

No, the program is not killed.  That is likely hyperbole or error by a board member here.  The program is not dead, so that ends that argument.  There is no doubt however that the program under Woolard/Leavitt held much more promise and accomplishment than the program under Woolard/Holtz.  Hence, Holtz is gone.

Wait.  Is this the same guy that wanted to fire the DC before he coached a game?

Good luck finding that statement, it wasn't said. And do you really think I was alone in my thinking it may not work?  http://www.voodoofive.com/2013/1/10/3859052/chuck-bresnahan-hired-as-usf-defensive-coordinator

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

I don't really care. A conference championship as a staff member doesn't make you particularly great. This is a really weird thread.

Look, Holtzie won his conference as you often point out. And it was a toughie like C-USA, right, not the MEAC or SEAC. We see how that panned out as a barometer of potential success.

And he had similar success in his first 3 years a UConn, 2 losing, 1 winning, as he did at USF, and year 5 was the year they went to the playoffs. And? Other, older programs have been more patient and not fired coaches after 1.5 seasons of losing. Fast food mentality. Same applies to the QB situation. Nature of the game for programs to go up and down in success and skill positions go up and down in talent.

Wait. Is this the same guy that wanted to fire the DC before he coached a game?

Good luck finding that statement, it wasn't said. And do you really think I was alone in my thinking it may not work? http://www.voodoofive.com/2013/1/10/3859052/chuck-bresnahan-hired-as-usf-defensive-coordinator

we're two games in and you've been talking about making coaching changes since before the season. Then you talk about needing to be patient...surely you can see the irony in that Edited by 2000bull

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ask it like this.

If he wasn't a Buc, would this thread even exist? Probably not. In fact, if he wasn't a Buc and the school looked at hiring this guy at this point, I'd imagine a good portion of this would would be flipping out.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

His team has laying the position well does not a good coach, scout, or exec make. If you look at most coaches they weren't great players. This is why Williams playing career and accomplishments as a player are irrelevant in a discussion about his coaching ability. Also were all still waiting for some tangible proof that he can in fact coach up QBs....

his

So just ignoring 4 D1 conference championships, the last one in 2011, ~60 wins in 8 seasons and several years as an NFL scout mean what? You only latch on to the obvious and ignore the facts that don't support your point?

He turned that conference winning team into a team that has lost double digit games in a row and was doing a bad enough job to get axed at his Alma mater, where he's a legend. Sounds to me like someone ran a good team they inherited into the ground.....

I don't really care. A conference championship as a staff member doesn't make you particularly great. This is a really weird thread.

Look, Holtzie won his conference as you often point out. And it was a toughie like C-USA, right, not the MEAC or SEAC. We see how that panned out as a barometer of potential success.

And he had similar success in his first 3 years a UConn, 2 losing, 1 winning, as he did at USF, and year 5 was the year they went to the playoffs. And? Other, older programs have been more patient and not fired coaches after 1.5 seasons of losing. Fast food mentality. Same applies to the QB situation. Nature of the game for programs to go up and down in success and skill positions go up and down in talent.

Wait. Is this the same guy that wanted to fire the DC before he coached a game?

Good luck finding that statement, it wasn't said. And do you really think I was alone in my thinking it may not work? http://www.voodoofive.com/2013/1/10/3859052/chuck-bresnahan-hired-as-usf-defensive-coordinator

we're two games in and you've been talking about making coaching changes since before the season. Then you talk about needing to be patient...surely you can see the irony in that

Saw the news of his being available and been reading this forum filled with thread after thread on the QBs not having talent or need development, etc. and figured, what the heck, and posted it within 5 minutes of reading it.  I can say be patient and every college football program goes through this every day of the season and it won't stop the posts about how this is the end of the world, program, and we need to find a walk on or whatever. So I posted it on the very, teeny, tiny chance it may come true and help the team get through this mess.

As for the other situation, I did say changes MID SEASON IF the situation warranted it. That was as much on my feelings that the AAC won't have much bowl access in the future as it will this season and questions about the CB's career over the past decade, pretty much echoed in the Voodoo 5 article I found recently.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

Lets give Sheridan a chance to be the QB coach before calling out to replace him.  He may be a talented coach and it's only been 2 games.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Lets give Sheridan a chance to be the QB coach before calling out to replace him.  He may be a talented coach and it's only been 2 games.

Slick just needs to make his rounds calling out all the assistant coaches and basically make them look over their shoulder for their jobs. First the DC, now the QB coach ... I'm sure the DB coach is next on the list to skewer.

Oh, also it was mentioned older programs not firing coaches after 1.5 losing seasons. I think it's more than obvious that Holtz wasn't fired just because of the losses. It was the way we lost and the obvious fact that he lost the team. It went from losing close games to a bunch of bodies going through the motions late. If we were still losing close and showing a real effort to win against Miami and Pitt last year, Holtz would probably still be here. We all know Woolard had the investment in him.