• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tweeted Coach T

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

I am going to show up at Beef O Brady's tomorrow night for Coach T's radio show and give him support. I bull-ieve he will turn this around. Hope some others will join me.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822

If he had a better evaluation of the Qb's I believe this loss would have been easily been avoidable its completely on him, the D gave up when they realized the Offense wasnt going anywhere

I don't buy that. The D was getting man-handled nearly from the start. It was pretty ridiculous how we could not stop the run on first down nearly every time.. The McNeese O-line overpowered our line. It's so easy to go into the "if" game. At the time, Floyd won the job. Coach gave him his second chance after the half (where I assume he had a good earful from coach), and I belive coach Taggart wanted to see how he would respond... He got his answer pretty quickly.

Think you need to go back and look at the box sore. Our defense was doing fine except for one drive before our offense starting turning the ball over and got back to back 3 & outs. To start the game McNeese had 4 straight failed possessions that ended in 3 punts and 1 interception. After that our defense had one poor drive of 91 yards that led to a touchdown. Our offense then turned it over 1 play later forcing a tired defense back out. That was the story the entire night.

WHile there were some horrible defensive plays on our part, there was a lot of great plays by the McNeese players. On multiple occasions we had coverage so good if it was any better its a penalty, but the QB still threaded it in for a first down. They made some excellent plays and really played a flawless game outside of their first 4 possessions.

I don't mean to say the defense lost it for us (there were numerous reasons, including the defense being a good part of it).. Nor do I mean to take away from McNeese. However if you are going to talk about conditioning, then that's a separate issue. The McNeese offense was out there for the same amount of time that our defense was out there, and they looked just fine. And yes, our defense did fairly well for the first 7 or 8 minutes of the first quarter (except giving up a huge play on one of the first plays of the game). But I don't think you can refute that our D-line got man-handled by their o-line.

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

If he had a better evaluation of the Qb's I believe this loss would have been easily been avoidable its completely on him, the D gave up when they realized the Offense wasnt going anywhere

I don't buy that. The D was getting man-handled nearly from the start. It was pretty ridiculous how we could not stop the run on first down nearly every time.. The McNeese O-line overpowered our line. It's so easy to go into the "if" game. At the time, Floyd won the job. Coach gave him his second chance after the half (where I assume he had a good earful from coach), and I belive coach Taggart wanted to see how he would respond... He got his answer pretty quickly.

Think you need to go back and look at the box sore. Our defense was doing fine except for one drive before our offense starting turning the ball over and got back to back 3 & outs. To start the game McNeese had 4 straight failed possessions that ended in 3 punts and 1 interception. After that our defense had one poor drive of 91 yards that led to a touchdown. Our offense then turned it over 1 play later forcing a tired defense back out. That was the story the entire night.

WHile there were some horrible defensive plays on our part, there was a lot of great plays by the McNeese players. On multiple occasions we had coverage so good if it was any better its a penalty, but the QB still threaded it in for a first down. They made some excellent plays and really played a flawless game outside of their first 4 possessions.

I don't mean to say the defense lost it for us (there were numerous reasons, including the defense being a good part of it).. Nor do I mean to take away from McNeese. However if you are going to talk about conditioning, then that's a separate issue. The McNeese offense was out there for the same amount of time that our defense was out there, and they looked just fine. And yes, our defense did fairly well for the first 7 or 8 minutes of the first quarter (except giving up a huge play on one of the first plays of the game). But I don't think you can refute that our D-line got man-handled by their o-line.

They shutdown McNeese for the entire first quarter. McNeese had 6 drives in the first 20 minutes of the game. After giving up a long TD drive they were forced back onto the field 1 play later and had to defend McNeese from our own 7 yard line, which they gave up a TD. The very next drive we had a 3 & out. In less than 6 minutes our defense was on the field for 3 drives. That is pathetic and all because of the offense.

I will agree that our pass rush was completely pathetic and our tackles after they were gassed were getting pushed around and missing gap assignments.

As for the underlined comment, offenses generally hold up a lot better than defenses when it comes to getting tired and pushed around.

Edited by deters-

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Taggart knows what's up. I think the reality is that it's going to take time to reverse the damage done. Holtz will be known forever as the guy that almost ruined the program.

No coach in the history of sports has ruined a team.

Never is there accountability anywhere.

In the rare event it is detected, point to other such situations.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822

They shutdown McNeese for the entire first quarter. McNeese had 6 drives in the first 20 minutes of the game. After giving up a long TD drive they were forced back onto the field 1 play later and had to defend McNeese from our own 7 yard line, which they gave up a TD. The very next drive we had a 3 & out. In less than 6 minutes our defense was on the field for 3 drives. That is pathetic and all because of the offense.

I will agree that our pass rush was completely pathetic and our tackles after they were gassed were getting pushed around and missing gap assignments.

As for the underlined comment, offenses generally hold up a lot better than defenses when it comes to getting tired and pushed around.

Gotcha. So you are saying there is hope for the defense? If so, I am all for it..

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

He does not owe a personal explanation or apology to everyone on this board.  He apologized in the press conference - and that was unnecessary IMO.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749

Gotcha. So you are saying there is hope for the defense? If so, I am all for it..

The defense still has plenty of hope. Their problems are a lot easier to correct than the offense. Unless our offense steps up though, our defense will continue to struggle and give up points. If we were able to sustain drives last night, I'm positive you would have seen a much better defensive showing.

• Upvote 1

He does not owe a personal explanation or apology to everyone on this board.  He apologized in the press conference - and that was unnecessary IMO.

He may not "owe" an apology -- but issuing one shows that he takes PERSONAL responsibility for what happened.  I, for one, and glad he did apologize - and did so right off the bat at his presser.

lol I can't believe people are blaming Holtz for this loss

They are still in denial and delusional.

You can't blame Holtz for this.

I'm not even sure Holtz would have lost this bad, maybe not even lost at all.

I don't know what Taggart and crew were doing all offseason on the practice feilds, but it clearly hasn't been enough.

Actually, we can blame Holtz for some of this... these are his players that are starting, after all.  This isn't a case where a coach left a winning program for a better program (like Brian Kelly leaving Cincy for Notre Dame).

No, Holtz drove the program into the ground and left us with too many players who either don't have talent -- or don't have the mental toughness to play a game when it's not handed to them. 

Coaches can't do everything for the players... but when players are "quitting" on the team during the game... or they aren't executing... then one has to question whether they are right for USF... and we have to blame Holtz for that.

Taggart arrived at WKU when it was reconsidering moving back to I-AA.  He went 2-10 with the returning players from his predecessor.  The next year, with more Taggart recruits, WKU won a share of their conference - and a third year he went to a bowl game.

So we might go 2-10 ourselves this year... and that would suck for USF fans who got used to winning... but you have to purge the Holtz era from the system... it's like your body raising it's temperature (into a fever) to fight an infection.

Last night woke us all up to how far down this program has sunk.  To me, even if we go 0-12, it will NOT be worse than the first game.  Our expectations are lower across the board... and we have our new low point for the program.  Rock bottom hurts... but the good news is - there is only one direction we can go.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

Taggart knows what's up. I think the reality is that it's going to take time to reverse the damage done. Holtz will be known forever as the guy that almost ruined the program.

No coach in the history of sports has ruined a team.

Never is there accountability anywhere.

In the rare event it is detected, point to other such situations.

So are you saying Taggart has to accept responsibility or Holtz?  Would be odd if you are saying Taggart doesn't but Holtz does since Taggart is here now.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591

Actually, we can blame Holtz for some of this... these are his players that are starting, after all.  This isn't a case where a coach left a winning program for a better program (like Brian Kelly leaving Cincy for Notre Dame).

No, Holtz drove the program into the ground and left us with too many players who either don't have talent -- or don't have the mental toughness to play a game when it's not handed to them. 

Holtz may have driven this team into the ground. But this was a team that looked far worse than it did at the end of last year. We may have stunk last year, but us stinking, was losing by 10-20 points to Big East schools. We also won our opener by 21 points, took one of the best teams in the country to the final minute, and had FSU on their heels in the second half.

I'm not glamorizing our season last year, but the Holtz coached team last year looked WAY better than the one we saw last night. Coach Taggart has had 8 months to prepare for this, and he executes on of the worst performances in the history of college football.