• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

fire doug woolard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

Jim Leavitt lied to a university investigation about his actions. When he was given an opportunity to recant, he didn't. He also interfered with a university investigation. This isn't opinion, these are facts. I've talked to at least eight people that were in the locker room that night, and (off the record of course) they'll tell you he hit Joel Miller. Joel wasn't a saint himself, and honestly no one in the entire investigation availed themselves well on any side, but he lied to his bosses and investigators repeatedly. 

Jim had to go not for his on-field performance, but how he handled a very serious matter away from it. If he had fessed up, apologized, and dealt with what would have been rather inconsequential consequences (something akin a one-game suspension and a fine most likely), he might still be here. But why we're still talking about this four years later is mystifying. Here's the report. Read it. Scroll to Page 27 Paragraph 5. That's why he's not here anymore.

As to the original topic of this thread: I'd answer that, but then I'd get blamed for being too negative about USF because I guess everything is just hunky dory. Or maybe I was supposed to act like everything is fine even though I could clearly see Rome burning all around me. Read what I and my partners have written for the last three years, and see the status of USF Athletics presently. Now tell us we were wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I wonder if CJL had not meddled into the investigation (allegedly) if he would have avoided termination.

The meddling is what tied the hands of everyone at the university.  I don't know what would have been done otherwise, but based on how Leavit Handled the situation there isn't an AD in the country that wouldn't have fired him.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Doug has no vision for the athletic program that extends beyond its own zip code. The last 5 years have been critical for conference expansion and USF has done little, outside of facilities, to position itself for the next step. In the most critical and measurable way - football - USF has played itself out of the conversation and has been left behind.

How will the university fund a competitive athletic department when the future TV contract is peanuts, attendance based on near-term performance will surely drop, and the man responsible for it all is has no clue how to dig us out of the hole that he is primarily responsible for creating?

It starts at the top.

Talk about minimizing one of the hardest to achieve and most crucial aspects of moving up.

everybody in the country is building new facilities. please don't act like this guy is some savior for pilfering the students of nearly $15M per year.

maybe we should get rid of the AD entirely, save the $700k+ and keep the library open later. we are an academic institution afterall.

No, everyone isn't, especially in this economy with banks limiting lending.

if you think banks are limiting lending then you live in a different world than I do. money is cheap and plentiful right now. look around the country. schools are going crazy building new facilities. I could go down the list of just schools in our crappy conference that are throwing tens of millions into athletic buildings. smu, houston, ucf, etc.

You do realize we aren't talking "right now" but in the years of the financial crisis a few years back when the funding and planning was happening?

dude has been getting $15M + per year from students. if you think his budget has been limited then you are delusional. BTW banks had no problem lending for all but about 6 months worth of time and they certainly didn't have a problem lending to government institutions with over a $40M per year budget.

do you have any idea how incredibly low our overall athletics budget is compared to the big boys? 

BINGO!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Jim Leavitt lied to a university investigation about his actions. When he was given an opportunity to recant, he didn't. He also interfered with a university investigation. This isn't opinion, these are facts. I've talked to at least eight people that were in the locker room that night, and (off the record of course) they'll tell you he hit Joel Miller. Joel wasn't a saint himself, and honestly no one in the entire investigation availed themselves well on any side, but he lied to his bosses and investigators repeatedly. 

Jim had to go not for his on-field performance, but how he handled a very serious matter away from it. If he had fessed up, apologized, and dealt with what would have been rather inconsequential consequences (something akin a one-game suspension and a fine most likely), he might still be here. But why we're still talking about this four years later is mystifying. Here's the report. Read it. Scroll to Page 27 Paragraph 5. That's why he's not here anymore.

As to the original topic of this thread: I'd answer that, but then I'd get blamed for being too negative about USF because I guess everything is just hunky dory. Or maybe I was supposed to act like everything is fine even though I could clearly see Rome burning all around me. Read what I and my partners have written for the last three years, and see the status of USF Athletics presently. Now tell us we were wrong.

That's a good opinion Collin.  if I showed the emails I received from players planning their statements and what stories they would tell, starting with some key players in USF history, you might be surprised.  There was one specific player who would hate to be mentioned, that on a daily basis reported how many others he got to tell the same story.  This is all because he was angry at Leavitt.  You can probably figure it out. you're a smart guy.  But wrong on this one.  Very wrong.  

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Jim had to go not for his on-field performance, but how he handled a very serious matter away from it. If he had fessed up, apologized, and dealt with what would have been rather inconsequential consequences (something akin a one-game suspension and a fine most likely), he might still be here. But why we're still talking about this four years later is mystifying. Here's the report. Read it. Scroll to Page 27 Paragraph 5. That's why he's not here anymore.

That's a good opinion Collin. if I showed the emails I received from players planning their statements and what stories they would tell, starting with some key players in USF history, you might be surprised. There was one specific player who would hate to be mentioned, that on a daily basis reported how many others he got to tell the same story. This is all because he was angry at Leavitt. You can probably figure it out. you're a smart guy. But wrong on this one. Very wrong.

I would respectfully submit that if you have solid evidence that shows that Leavitt was essentially framed you have a responsibility to bring that to light. Just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

That's a good opinion Collin.  if I showed the emails I received from players planning their statements and what stories they would tell, starting with some key players in USF history, you might be surprised.  There was one specific player who would hate to be mentioned, that on a daily basis reported how many others he got to tell the same story.  This is all because he was angry at Leavitt.  You can probably figure it out. you're a smart guy.  But wrong on this one.  Very wrong.  

I think you missed his point entirely. Leavitt lied about contacting players during the investigation. Period. Doesn't matter what player was going to do what or convince who. When he started doing his own investigation, that's what triggered immediate termination.

Lets just say the whole story is false. But still there is a story that needs to be investigated. You can't have this come out and not investigate it. So when the employee being investigated starts talking to those involved, its a red flag no matter why he is doing it. Is he trying to find out what is going on or sway stories? Doesn't matter, when your employee puts themselves in that position, many employers will simply terminate the employee. Had it happen where I worked at, a hospital. If the employee owned up to what he did, he would have been reprimanded. He started talking to those involved and got canned.

Of course in this kind of case you settle. Why? On one hand, lets say you have a story from players that may or may not be true and then you have a coach contacting them during the investigation. A jury might think that the story is not true and would have sympathy on the coach and find in his favor even though he was talking to those involved. Why pay all those attorney fees when there is a chance of losing? So they settled. Doesn't mean that Leavitt didn't interfere and says nothing about if the original allegations were true or false.  Was Leavitt's lawsuit about wrongful termination or that he didn't hit anyone?

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Nothing good can come out of rehashing this whole mess, and it's reminiscent of a 20-something that has moved away that has a bit of trouble with the outside world, and wants to move back in with Mom and Dad.  

I realize that in times like this, we want the daddy of our football program back because things have gotten hard.  Only problem is, Daddy has been evicted from his home and hasn't left a viable forwarding address.  We emanicipated ourselves almost 4 years ago and it's time to deal with the way the world works.  

There are peaks and valleys in life, and in this situation.  Alabama has gone through some valleys too, they have just found a formula to stay on the mountain top for a while.  It won't last forever, and neither will the valley USF football finds itself in now.  Who knows, the path to the top of the mountain may be just around the corner.  

Let's hope it is, and let's put this last game in the rearview mirror and hope our team gets a roadmap to the first destination on the side of the mountain.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Nothing good can come out of rehashing this whole mess, 

Anything taking our minds off that debacle last night is good right now ....

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Nothing good can come out of rehashing this whole mess, 

Anything taking our minds off that debacle last night is good right now ....

Even discussing a controversial 4 year old firing that still pains many and leaves many pining for days of yore?

Okay den ... 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Here are a few ramblings from my head that seem to go in a few different directions.

We were a football program who could reasonably expect to be a in bowl game every year. This year currently appears to be the 3rd straight year we don't make a bowl game (I know there are 11 games to go, but I can't see a way to get to 6 wins right now). We just might be so bad that one more recruiting class might not be enough.

If the college football landscape were to shift again, what happens if we get left behind again? What if UCF and Cincinnati go? What if they get replaced with FAU and FIU? If the Big 12 added two schools and one was Cincinnati, why do we think we are ahead of UCF right now?

Could we have gone from the Big 4 billboard to battling FAU and FIU for the 5th, 6th, and 7th place in the state of Florida?

Did I think Skip Holtz was a good hire at the time of the hire? Yes

Can a good AD make a bad head football coach hire? Yes (Foley and Jurich both made bad hires)

Doug Woolard's legacy will not be facilities. It will come down to 2 things, the overall health of our football program and the conference we are a part of when he is done being our AD.