• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

September is our next order of business.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

If you think that USF should not destroy Ball St then the Holtz era did MASSIVE damage to this program.

I get the whole we are a mid-major and not in the ACC, SEC, or where ever but we should beat Ball St.  

I feel like people believe we are back in 2002 now.  

To me , "filler wins" are lower divisions and Sun Belt and lower in the FBS ... 99.9% chance of winning. I didn't say we shouldn't have beaten Ball State but a program that's never finished higher than 3rd in a so-so conference shouldn't be considering programs like Ball State a "filler win" .... Just shows the delusional aspect of some of our fans.

That's such a weak argument considering the Big East was made up of schools who always beat one another. There was no Texas or FSU in our conference who always dominated while others fought over scraps. This was a league that would have 2 and 3 co-champs some years. The Big East had a better bowl record than a majority of the other BCS conferences, I wouldn't call that so-so. Just because the media loved to rip on the BE, doesn't make it factual or true.

How about considering that we consistently won 7 to 9 games per season in the Big East until the last 2 years? And as fans, having a program that beats the teams that we beat on our schedules (prior to being holtzecuted), it would be reasonable to believe we should have considered Ball State a filler win.

Again, just boils down to your definition of a "filler win". Most fans of college football would consider lumping Ball State in with Elon, Charleston Southern, Stony Brook, McNeese State (sorry, Doc), etc is ludicrous ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

ask FSU or UF fans if Ball State is a "filler win"  

granted- we are far from the level of FSU or UF but there is no reason why we shouldn't consider that an OOC game that we should win every year.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Just remember - always remember - Appy State was supposed to be a filler win for the Wolverweinies

As for the BE Bowl Record, it's a scam. The BE Bowl games were almost always against lesser teams, we had very few decent opponents outside of the one BCS bowl per year.

ask FSU or UF fans if Ball State is a "filler win"

Not pertinent to this conversation ... We're talking USF.

granted- we are far from the level of FSU or UF but there is no reason why we shouldn't consider that an OOC game that we should win every year.

You consider that game the same as a game against Stony Brook. I don't ... Have to just agree to disagree.

Just remember - always remember - Appy State was supposed to be a filler win for the Wolverweinies

Part of that .1% factor ...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

When the athletic department scheduled Balls Tate for a 1:1, I think they weren't expecting it to be a potential loss.  No, not a true "gimme" or "tune-up" game like McNeese State, but a non-BCS caliber team, and we hadn't lost to one since we joined the BCS leagues.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

If you think that USF should not destroy Ball St then the Holtz era did MASSIVE damage to this program.

I get the whole we are a mid-major and not in the ACC, SEC, or where ever but we should beat Ball St.  

I feel like people believe we are back in 2002 now.

Preach

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

maybe not IN '02...but I would be leery about penciling in any win as a gimme.

Which reminds me...you think other schools see USF on their schedule and pencil in a win, based on recent history?

I reckon it's ok to get beat by a P(5) but not ANOTHER mid-major, is that the general consensus? 

some might argue that Ball St should have been a "filler win"

Then some would be wrong ... MAC teams aren't filler wins to programs like ours.

They would be right. USF had never lost to a non-BCS team outside of our conference... Never.  Our last loss to a non-BCS team in OOC play was Utah... and that was before we joined C-USA.

Ball State - even on the road - should have been a filler win.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

some might argue that Ball St should have been a "filler win"

Then some would be wrong ... MAC teams aren't filler wins to programs like ours.

They would be right. USF had never lost to a non-BCS team outside of our conference... Never.  Our last loss to a non-BCS team in OOC play was Utah... and that was before we joined C-USA.

Ball State - even on the road - should have been a filler win.

Perhaps Ball State has set the precedent that U of SF is eligible for losses to non-BCS mid-major teams. Somebody had to be first, and 17 seasons ain't that long to begin with.  :FIREdevil: