• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Telly Lockette, Destined for big things.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Write up from March by Luther Campbell who is apparently big in the Miami high school football scene.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/03/telly_lockette_leaving_miami_c.php

Telly Lockette Leaving Miami Central High for University of South Florida

By Luther Campbell Tue., Mar. 5 2013 at 10:00 AM

lukescartoon-thumb-200x235.jpg

Uncle Luke, the man whose booty-shaking madness made the U.S. Supreme Court stand up for free speech, gets as nasty as he wants to be for Miami New Times. Today, Luke gives props to a high school coach making it to the NCAA big leagues.

I want to congratulate Telly Lockette. He's getting an opportunity that great high school football icons such as Walt Frazier and Billy Rolle were never afforded. Lockette is the first African-American coach from a Miami-area high school to land a job with a major college program. On Monday, University of South Florida Bulls head coach Willie Taggart added Lockette to his staff as running backs coach, according to CBS Sports reporter Bruce Feldman.

The 37-year-old Miami Northwestern alum has an impeccable football resumé. During his four-and-half-year run as the head coach at Miami Central Senior High, Lockette was the first coach in Miami-Dade history to take his team to three consecutive state title game appearances, winning two championships. No team from Miami-Dade or Broward has beaten Lockette's Rockets since 2009, when the Miami Northwestern Bulls beat Central.

Throughout his career, Lockette has coached some of the best running backs to come out of Miami-Dade, from Antwain Easterling to Devonta Freeman to Joseph Yearby and Dalvin Cook. During his tenure at Miami Central, roughly 70 of his players have signed scholarships to big-name programs, from Florida State to Oklahoma to Syracuse to Clemson.

I was hoping the University of Miami would hire Lockette following a long tradition of bringing in high school coaches that began under Howard Schnellenberger. In the 1980s, he hired Joe Brodsky, then-head coach at Hialeah-Miami Lakes, to be the running backs coach. Brodsky went on to coach the tailbacks for the Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson. Dennis Erickson continued the tradition by hiring Don Soldinger as running backs coach.

But, for whatever reason, the Hurricanes passed on Lockette, allowing Taggert to swoop in. No question, the USF coach made a big power move.

Lockette will recruit any kid from South Florida he wants. For instance, Lockette grew up with the parents of the student athletes who are playing high school football. That makes him valuable. And all the high school football head coaches will rally around Lockette. Seeing him land an NCAA coaching gig gives them hope other universities will come knocking on their doors.

A lot of high school coaches aspire to get to a college coaching job. But universities in Florida have a problem hiring high school coaches from Miami-Dade. It's not like Texas, a state that has established a tradition of elevating high school coaches to the collegiate level.

If Lockette succeeds in getting the top players from South Florida, he'll give the Bulls a leg up on every other college. That's why the high school coaches will want Lockette to do great.

I hope his success will get other universities in the Sunshine State, from FSU to UM, to jump on the high school head coaches bandwagon.Follow Luke on Twitter: @unclelukereal1

Lulz at Luke. He's just pissed the Canes didnt offer anything, he doesn't care about him going to USF. Maybe we should ask Luke what Marquis and Fresh Kid Ice think of the hire so we can get the complete perspective of the 2 Live Crew.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Good hire I think

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

From everything I've read, Luke is highly involved in the Miami high school football scene and has major away. I think he's also doing some coaching as well as running some mentoring programs down there.

• Topic Count:  1,037
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

A great hire by CWT that not only gives us a solid coach, but one with a great reputation in very fertile recruiting grounds.  From what I've read, he not only is respected by his players and assistants but by those from other teams.

Welcome to the USF family, Coach Lockette!

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

for outsiders, Uncle Luke is nothing more than the king of Miami Bass/Booty music.

to insiders who have followed his career, he is a brilliant business man with a hand in A LOT of Miami-area and Florida interests.

he was integral in creating the "Miami swag" attitude and atmosphere that propelled UM into the limelight in the '80s, and really that helped shape the contemporary national image that Miami has as a prime vacation/party spot.

love or hate his music, u can't deny his accomplishments as an entrepreneur and pillar of the southern Florida community.

Write up from March by Luther Campbell who is apparently big in the Miami high school football scene.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/03/telly_lockette_leaving_miami_c.php

Uncle Luke, the man whose booty-shaking madness made the U.S. Supreme Court stand up for free speech, gets as nasty as he wants to be for Miami New Times. Today, Luke gives props to a high school coach making it to the NCAA big leagues.

I want to congratulate Telly Lockette. He's getting an opportunity that great high school football icons such as Walt Frazier and Billy Rolle were never afforded. Lockette is the first African-American coach from a Miami-area high school to land a job with a major college program. On Monday, University of South Florida Bulls head coach Willie Taggart added Lockette to his staff as running backs coach, according to CBS Sports reporter Bruce Feldman.

The 37-year-old Miami Northwestern alum has an impeccable football resumé. During his four-and-half-year run as the head coach at Miami Central Senior High, Lockette was the first coach in Miami-Dade history to take his team to three consecutive state title game appearances, winning two championships. No team from Miami-Dade or Broward has beaten Lockette's Rockets since 2009, when the Miami Northwestern Bulls beat Central.

Throughout his career, Lockette has coached some of the best running backs to come out of Miami-Dade, from Antwain Easterling to Devonta Freeman to Joseph Yearby and Dalvin Cook. During his tenure at Miami Central, roughly 70 of his players have signed scholarships to big-name programs, from Florida State to Oklahoma to Syracuse to Clemson.

I was hoping the University of Miami would hire Lockette following a long tradition of bringing in high school coaches that began under Howard Schnellenberger. In the 1980s, he hired Joe Brodsky, then-head coach at Hialeah-Miami Lakes, to be the running backs coach. Brodsky went on to coach the tailbacks for the Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson. Dennis Erickson continued the tradition by hiring Don Soldinger as running backs coach.

But, for whatever reason, the Hurricanes passed on Lockette, allowing Taggert to swoop in. No question, the USF coach made a big power move.

Lockette will recruit any kid from South Florida he wants. For instance, Lockette grew up with the parents of the student athletes who are playing high school football. That makes him valuable. And all the high school football head coaches will rally around Lockette. Seeing him land an NCAA coaching gig gives them hope other universities will come knocking on their doors.

A lot of high school coaches aspire to get to a college coaching job. But universities in Florida have a problem hiring high school coaches from Miami-Dade. It's not like Texas, a state that has established a tradition of elevating high school coaches to the collegiate level.

If Lockette succeeds in getting the top players from South Florida, he'll give the Bulls a leg up on every other college. That's why the high school coaches will want Lockette to do great.

I hope his success will get other universities in the Sunshine State, from FSU to UM, to jump on the high school head coaches bandwagon.Follow Luke on Twitter: @unclelukereal1

Lulz at Luke. He's just pissed the Canes didnt offer anything, he doesn't care about him going to USF. Maybe we should ask Luke what Marquis and Fresh Kid Ice think of the hire so we can get the complete perspective of the 2 Live Crew.

ridiculously ignorant post of the day. congrats.

would he have preferred UM snatch up Lockette?  OF COURSE. Luke is a home grown product of Miami, and for nearly a decade he was THE face of Miami's urban music culture, a culture that has undeniably shaped the broader culture of not only Miami but of Florida in general. he wanted Lockette to go to Miami's unofficial "flagship" football program.

but it is obvious by his column that Luke is genuinely happy for Coach Lockette and wants to see him succeed NOT just because he is a Miami-Dade product, but because his success would open the door for other Florida high school coaches to take the next step into NCAA football.

people on this board need to stop acting like anything said by someone who is either not a former player, or not some old white guy getting paid as an analyst for ESPN/ABC/FOX/NBC/SportsIllustrated is irrelevant. that is simply not true. get over your cultural bias and learn something about Florida history beyond your bubbles in Carrollwood or Temple Terrace.

"But, for whatever reason, the Hurricanes passed on Lockette, allowing Taggart to swoop in. No question, the USF coach made a big power move."

^^ gotta love this

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

The reason I feel CWT will be very successful here is not because of CWT himself but the people he choose to surround himself with. Locket is  a great hire and I hope we hold onto him. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

people on this board need to stop acting like anything said by someone who is either not a former player, or not some old white guy getting paid as an analyst for ESPN/ABC/FOX/NBC/SportsIllustrated is irrelevant. that is simply not true. get over your cultural bias and learn something about Florida history beyond your bubbles in Carrollwood or Temple Terrace.

Good gosh, dude. I don't know the guy--let's not take my ignorance of him as opening to play the race card. Read my post--I actually agree with the guy that he's probably a good get and a good fit. Just think their lead in to his opinions could have done him a whole lot more justice if he's really in tune with the football scene down there.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

ridiculously ignorant post of the day. congrats.

would he have preferred UM snatch up Lockette?  OF COURSE. Luke is a home grown product of Miami, and for nearly a decade he was THE face of Miami's urban music culture, a culture that has undeniably shaped the broader culture of not only Miami but of Florida in general. he wanted Lockette to go to Miami's unofficial "flagship" football program.

but it is obvious by his column that Luke is genuinely happy for Coach Lockette and wants to see him succeed NOT just because he is a Miami-Dade product, but because his success would open the door for other Florida high school coaches to take the next step into NCAA football.

Dont give me crap about Luke.  I know more about him and his music than 99% of people on here.  I also know he played a major role in the UM scandal.  Ask Luke about the things he gave the players including money, hookers, drugs, tickets to events, etc... 

I lived in Miami during those times.