• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF ATHLETICS: USF Hires Brian Siegrist as Associate AD of Communications

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS: USF Hires Brian Siegrist as Associate AD of Communications

USF ATHLETICS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: August 2, 2013

USF Hires Brian Siegrist as Associate AD of Communications

Siegrist joins the Bulls staff after spending 18 years in the Big Ten at Penn State University.

TAMPA - The University of South Florida athletic department announced today the hiring of Brian Siegrist as its new Associate Athletic Director for Communications. Siegrist takes over for Jeremy Sharpe who was named Associate Athletic Director for Communications at the University of Arizona last month.

“This is a tremendous opportunity to be able to lead the communications effort and be a part of the brand development for a strong university that has shown a great commitment to its athletic program and achieving success at the highest level,” Siegrist said. “I am leaving a special place where I was fortunate to work with exceptional people and develop relationships and memories that I will forever cherish. I see a very exciting future at the University of South Florida and am anxious to get started with the administrators, coaches and student-athletes and contribute to one of the emerging brands in collegiate athletics.”

“We’re excited to have to have Brian join the USF family as he has played an integral role in the day-to-day operations of the communications office at Penn State University,” said USF Director of Athletics Doug Woolard. “His creative direction and leadership during his time at a Big Ten institution will be a great asset to USF as we continue to build upon our national brand.”

A long-time veteran in the public relations field, Siegrist comes to USF after spending the past 18 years as an Assistant and Associate Media Relations Director at Penn State University where he was promoted five times during his tenure. Over the last eight years, he has directed communications for the men’s basketball team and served as the secondary contact for the football program for the last 14 seasons. He also developed and maintained external messaging for one of the nation’s most recognized programs with one of the largest fan bases in Division I.

Along with assisting in all facets of the communications department, he oversaw media campaigns for players, coaches and the department. Siegrist worked on numerous national award campaigns highlighted by the Big Ten Men’s Basketball Coach of the Year, Big Ten Men’s Basketball Freshman of the Year, a Heisman Trophy finalist, two Bednarik Awards, the Butkus Award, the Maxwell Award, the Walter Camp Award, the Doak Walker Award, the Rimington Trophy and the Big Ten’s Football MVP, Football Defensive Player of the Year and Offensive Linemen of the Year Awards.

In addition, he formed a creative department that he led which produced print, digital and facility enhancement projects for the 31-sport athletic program. Outside of his day-to-day responsibilities, Siegrist has also been the public relations/marketing chair for the Penn State Coaches vs. Cancer organization for the last 11 years where he has coordinated publicity, promotion, marketing and a year-round event schedule for the program that has raised over $2 million since its inception.

A 1994 graduate of Kansas State University, Siegrist graduated Summa Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in public relations and outside concentration in marketing. He started his career in public relations as a graduate assistant at Kansas State before taking his first position as a communications/publications assistant at Penn State. He was promoted to Assistant Director in 1999 and to his current role as Associate Director in 2011.

Siegrist will begin his duties with the Bulls mid-August.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Wow, big time hire! Nice

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Nice hire

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I really like that we didn't get somebody from a small program or from an unknown institution (USF's not going the old $1.99 route).

This is a big step in the right direction.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Sounds like a great hire. I love the concentration on PR side of things. At a time when we will need all the publicity we can get that is sorely needed.

Coming from Penn State I am sure he is battle tested.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

Hm approves

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

I really like that we didn't get somebody from a small program or from an unknown institution (USF's not going the old $1.99 route).

GO BULLS!

The last two people to hold that position came from Oklahoma and Texas.

I don't know the candidate pool, so I am not speaking of this position .... but I wish USF would hire from within a little more often. It seems like the best jobs go to people without any ties to USF. Lots of good people work hard and earn chances to move up, and it doesn't happen as often as it should.

Like I said, I am speaking in general and not of this position. I have no knowledge of who applied (or expressed interest) in this position.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I want to start seeing more USF grads in these spots myself. Kind of what Mike said.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

I was wondering when we'll see a D1 USF alumni HC.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

GO BULLS!

The last two people to hold that position came from Oklahoma and Texas.

I don't know the candidate pool, so I am not speaking of this position .... but I wish USF would hire from within a little more often. It seems like the best jobs go to people without any ties to USF. Lots of good people work hard and earn chances to move up, and it doesn't happen as often as it should.

Like I said, I am speaking in general and not of this position. I have no knowledge of who applied (or expressed interest) in this position.

agreed and from a pr stand point i wouldnt hire anyone that was at penn state during jo pa era

simply dumb

why take a chance the penn state stink wil effect usf

Edited by smazza