• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF ATHLETICS: USF Hires Brian Siegrist as Associate AD of Communications

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

I was wondering when we'll see a D1 USF alumni HC.

That's a great question. Clearly it will happen, just when.

Coach Taggart is a great case study for this. My perception is that he is young when compared to most D1 Head Coaches, and he played against USF in year 1 and year 2 of USF Football. So, we can say we are just starting to come into the window where the guys from our first couple years are reaching the age where D1 heach coaching jobs are possible. So, every year that passes, we add another team of seniors who move into the age window where it becomes possible.

As a side note, I do pull for Youngstown State (D1, Championship Subdivision) whose head coach was a USF Assistant Coach back in our early days. Eric Wolford

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I really like that we didn't get somebody from a small program or from an unknown institution (USF's not going the old $1.99 route).

This is a big step in the right direction.

GO BULLS!

The last two people to hold that position came from Oklahoma and Texas.

I don't know the candidate pool, so I am not speaking of this position .... but I wish USF would hire from within a little more often. It seems like the best jobs go to people without any ties to USF. Lots of good people work hard and earn chances to move up, and it doesn't happen as often as it should.

Like I said, I am speaking in general and not of this position. I have no knowledge of who applied (or expressed interest) in this position.

agreed and from a pr stand point i wouldnt hire anyone that was at penn state during jo pa era

simply dumb

why take a chance the penn state stink wil effect usf

dumb perspective

this guy may have made the PSU situation less of a problem

I would say that PSU is coming out of their situation nicely

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Agreed NewEngland. Anyone that can deal with a firestorm like that and come out ok is good in my book. USF should feel like a vacation after that mess.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

Edited by Jewbull

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

I really like that we didn't get somebody from a small program or from an unknown institution (USF's not going the old $1.99 route).

GO BULLS!

I don't know the candidate pool, so I am not speaking of this position .... but I wish USF would hire from within a little more often. It seems like the best jobs go to people without any ties to USF. Lots of good people work hard and earn chances to move up, and it doesn't happen as often as it should.

Like I said, I am speaking in general and not of this position. I have no knowledge of who applied (or expressed interest) in this position.

I totally understand what you are saying, however go back through the last 10+ years, how many times has an internal candidate from USF been passed up for a promotion and then gotten a job at another big time university for that position?.........Unfortunately maybe the internal candidates as USF arent the strongest players on the field

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

Out of this position, whoever can tell USF's story in a compelling enough way to build the program, I'm ok with. Also, no more typos on plaques. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

GO BULLS!

Mike,

For the record, I very much appreciate your views as a former Athletics employee. I also admire your ability to state an opinion based on those experiences without sounding arrogant and without having a constantly negative view. Some employees leave and make a market out of bashing their former employer - even if short on facts.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Out of this position, whoever can tell USF's story in a compelling enough way to build the program, I'm ok with. Also, no more typos on plaques. 

Might be a while yet.

"

This offer letter witness (sic) that

Which is conferred with all the rights and privileges offered to qualify (sic) candidates by

The department of students (sic) athletics at [uSF]"

Sad.

BQyNCIrCMAApzAh.jpg

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

GO BULLS!

I totally understand what you are saying, however go back through the last 10+ years, how many times has an internal candidate from USF been passed up for a promotion and then gotten a job at another big time university for that position?.........Unfortunately maybe the internal candidates as USF arent the strongest players on the field

Part of the reason this is tough to answer is not knowing who is applying/expressing interest in which positions.

I will tell you that hiring from those with USF connections has lead to some great hires, such as:

Ken Eriksen (USF grad, USF student athlete and USF assistant coach before becoming head coach);

Jose Fernandez (USF assistant coach before becoming head coach);

Eddie Cardieri (USF assistant coach before becoming head coach);

Monica Triner (former student athlete before becoming assistant coach);

Mike Lewis (USF grad and team manager for basketball before running the Bulls Club);

Lee Roy Selmon (former Associate AD before becoming AD);

Tommy Tonelli (former student athlete before becoming an assistant coach);

Barbara Sparks-McGlinchy (worker her way up through USF to be Associate AD)

Scott Glaser (former student athlete who worked his way up to Associate AD)

Rob Higgins (former basketball team manager, hired as Assistant AD)

Michael Kelly (head of host committee for Final 4 USF hosted to Associate AD)

These are just off the top of my head, I am sure with some thought I could double the list.

I know not everyone will recognize all the names on the list, but in my opinion, all were great hires/promotions.