• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I Hope That CWT Is Prepared For Swift Coaching Changes If Needed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

2 top 10 teams in 11 seasons. The rest abysmal. All we need are excuses for the other 9 years.

Oh please, the NFL is an unforgiving place. If the guy wasn't a competent coach he wouldn't have been a coodinator for so long. A coodinators job in the NFL isn't exactly comparable to managing the local Wendys.
Oh please. One person had him characterized as a Al Davis 'yes' man. Obviously he's here due to networking and not success on the gridiron.

Big deal. That same guy characterized John Fox and Rob Ryan as Al Davis yes men. I would take either as a DC in a heart beat. Fox is one of the best head coaches in the NFL.

The point is that to talk about firing a coach even before he even steps onto a practice is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. If that was the case why bother to hire him and spend over $300K.

Let's see what he does before getting ready to fire him first.

OK, let me be clear. On paper this guy stinks. Nowhere did I say fire him now. What I said is that if during the season the defense looks like a steaming pile of doo doo I hope that CWT is going to make changes then, not after another season is gone down the tubes. Make sense? I don't know if you actually took any classes at USF but my major had to do with data, number crunching statistics, etc.. As of right now I don't see a lot of good stats on this coach.

What I find incredulous is that so many on here act like this coach has the best record possible and why should anyone be concerned. In other words acting like sheep that just take whatever your told. I could care less who owned the teams he was on or what ever other excuses you can dig up. What matters is the stats. No one is going to give a crap if a coachi can't get his team to adjust to adversity. Who would spend 8 or 9 years in that situation anyway? Look how much slack you guys cut Skip....zero. How about Cosh? I don't want to go through an entire season with one aspect of the team destroying any chance for winning. Sorry if some of you think its fine but I don't and with a record like that I would hope extra attention is being spent on making sure the defense is looking good right out of the gate.

while your USF curriculum taught you to only crunch numbers, my USF education taught me to only use numbers as an analysis tool which has served me well in actually running companies at the highest level.  In other words, there are a lot more variables that need to be considered to actually nderstand the big picture of what went on.  If you step back and take a look at the big picture you have to also take into consideration what the result was (the statistics), but why the result came about.  

First of all, the goal of any team is not to have the best statistics, it is to win games and championships.  3 straight AFC west championships, a super bowl appearance.  First post season appearance for the Bengals, etc.  As someone said, not too shabby.  

I also don't necessarily agree with your interpretation of the stats on his resume.  While his defenses might not have been top ten defenses each and every year, with the Raiders, at least, from the time he took over as DC his teams showed  improvement in most years:

1997 to 1998 improvement

1998 to 1999 improvement

1999 to 2000 improvement

2001 to 2002 improvement

( i don't feel like looking up the bengals defense, but they got to the playoffs after he took over as DC.  he did something right)

Next, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the last year in Oakland, the team and organization itself was in complete disarray because of the head coach and other things going on within the organization.  You can say you don't care about that, but this is not a video game.  These are people's lives.  You don't think that one of the team leaders going missing and then crazy the night before the super bowl has an effect on people?  That is ridiculous.  You don't think the head coach calling out people and then calling the team "the dumbest team in America" publicly causes problems.  And we don't even know what was going on in the clubhouse behind closed doors.

Again, he gets to Cincinnati and his first year as DC the team gets their first playoff appearance in 16 or 17 years not bad.  The next year, was a disaster, but why?  Was it was he was a bad DC? Maybe, but is it at all possible that one of your young emerging stars breaking his neck, losing 9 starters from the team due to either injuries or their own sheer stupidity (I looked it up, 9 Bengals were arrested that year for various idiotic or worse crimes) played a role in their poor performance?

The point here is that Besnahan has proven to be a competent coach with a lot of experience at the highest levels.  Probably wouldn't have been my first choice as a college DC, but he has a lot of knowledge of the game.  Bottom line is we don't know what is going to happen with him until we get through the season.  Too many people around here start getting their panties in a wad every time the opponents get a first down or complete a pass and start calling for the Dc to be fired.  This is not the NFL, very rarely do you fire a coach in college during the year.  

Cooper coached some of the best defensive backfields in college.  We have a very young and inexperienced defensive backfield this year.  if we start getting burned, does it mean that he sucks as a defensive coach or that he just doesn't have quite the talent and player development yet?  The stats may say one thing at the end of the year, but the reality, as the players develop may say something else.  

Also, let's say we start to win big and the other teams are putting up a lot of garbage yards at the end of a game, does it mean our defense sucks, even if we are winning games?  Statistically it may show we are a poor defense, but if we are winning games and making good defensive calls at the key times and we win games, that's what matters.

Let's see how the season plays out.  We have no clue how Bresnahan's defense will end up until the end of the year.  

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

2 top 10 teams in 11 seasons. The rest abysmal. All we need are excuses for the other 9 years.

Oh please, the NFL is an unforgiving place. If the guy wasn't a competent coach he wouldn't have been a coodinator for so long. A coodinators job in the NFL isn't exactly comparable to managing the local Wendys.
Oh please. One person had him characterized as a Al Davis 'yes' man. Obviously he's here due to networking and not success on the gridiron.

Big deal. That same guy characterized John Fox and Rob Ryan as Al Davis yes men. I would take either as a DC in a heart beat. Fox is one of the best head coaches in the NFL.

The point is that to talk about firing a coach even before he even steps onto a practice is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. If that was the case why bother to hire him and spend over $300K.

Let's see what he does before getting ready to fire him first.

OK, let me be clear. On paper this guy stinks. Nowhere did I say fire him now. What I said is that if during the season the defense looks like a steaming pile of doo doo I hope that CWT is going to make changes then, not after another season is gone down the tubes. Make sense? I don't know if you actually took any classes at USF but my major had to do with data, number crunching statistics, etc.. As of right now I don't see a lot of good stats on this coach.

What I find incredulous is that so many on here act like this coach has the best record possible and why should anyone be concerned. In other words acting like sheep that just take whatever your told. I could care less who owned the teams he was on or what ever other excuses you can dig up. What matters is the stats. No one is going to give a crap if a coachi can't get his team to adjust to adversity. Who would spend 8 or 9 years in that situation anyway? Look how much slack you guys cut Skip....zero. How about Cosh? I don't want to go through an entire season with one aspect of the team destroying any chance for winning. Sorry if some of you think its fine but I don't and with a record like that I would hope extra attention is being spent on making sure the defense is looking good right out of the gate.

while your USF curriculum taught you to only crunch numbers, my USF education taught me to only use numbers as an analysis tool which has served me well in actually running companies at the highest level..........

I looked at defensive stats. Why? Because the rest of the team, the coaches involved, etc  aren't in the mix at USF and have nothing to do with it. In other words, business terms, I am look at the department he headed, not the entire corp. The Bengal and Raider teams he was on were known for their OFFENSE, that's what made them successful. Don't you remember the Super Bowl? Tampa's #1 Defense vs Oakland's #1 Offense?  I don't know how hard a concept this, look at what he was in charge of, not what the other parts of the team that he had no part of did.

If you've followed the news lately, USF has questions at...WR....QB....HB. I doubt that USF is going to have the best offense in college football to offset a below average defense.

But all of this is mute. I am advocating making in-season changes vs waiting until the offseason especially with all the uncertainty of the bowl situation starting next season.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Mute? Like, we can't hear it?

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Mute? Like, we can't hear it?

Moot. Happy?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Eh. A lot of what you've been whining about should have been on mute. But it's sort of a moot point, now.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Only makes some sense if the season turns out to be a complete failure on the defensive side of the ball.

To even have a discussion about making a change before the coach has the chance to hold a practice is silly. Especially so considering the guy has coached 2 top ten defenses and a team in the super bowl.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Were those coordinators in their first season?

Regardless, it is beyond ridiculous to talk about possibly firing any coach before a single game has been played.

Do you often get fired from your job before your first assignment is due?

Two of the three were in their first year, YES. The other was either in his second or third, not sure when he was hired in 2010. And I didn't say FIRE HIM NOW, that is all on YOU. I said I would rather he be prepared to make a change before the season is over if needed than wait and wait.  If it means going to a bowl game this year vs not, especially this year when next year the number of bowl games drys up, you mean you'd rather ride it out? That is ridiculous.

One has to prepare months in advance to fire someone?  I didn't realize it was so complicated that CWT should be taking time away from preparing for the season to instead prepare to fire one of his assistants.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

I can not believe this thread is four pages long...never should have been started in the first place. Some of the recent best College coaches (Saban, Spurrier, Petrino) were awful NFL coaches...We have nothing to worry about. If this guy is even average Coach will show him the door quick.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Anyone but Cosh. Ok, thanks.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

One thing I noticed in looking at team defensive stats that his D's seemed to have done fairly well, fairly consistently with is cause turnovers. That's been one of our biggest problems the last couple years. If he can improve the defense in that regards, we'll be good enough defensively to have a good squad overall