• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I Hope That CWT Is Prepared For Swift Coaching Changes If Needed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Man, what a lot of entertainment we're getting out of a simple topic. I understand wanting to defend the choice. It's easy to talk about how invalid the thought is now, but how many of us are going to be jumping to this guy's defense if we put a turd on the field for D, and it doesn't change week-to-week?

It's all just hypothetical, let's get to football season already!!

The time to start complaining about it when they start to suck, not before they even start practicing.

When do you determine the defense sucks? After the first completed pass as some around here are trying to do? Or wait to see how the season develops and ends up? I don't know how you evaluate a young defense like this until you see how the season goes and ends up according to what the coaches expectations.

Who's complaining? Its like saying you are complaining about a hurricane when you are buying emergency supplies in the winter. I am not complaining. And I sure as hell didn't say the defense sucks after the first completed pass. I've clearly stated October. Look, I am looking back to what's happened and with that in mind saying IF the defense sucks by mid season I would rather see a change, to not continue on for 5 or 6 more games with the same ineffective schemes. I'd rather try something different IF the first half sucks, even if it turns out the second half sucks because at least the team DID SOMETHING to try and improve. Did anyone watch the video? Did the scenario of the CB being off the WR 9 yards when the opposing offense only needed a couple yards sound familiar??? Who wants to go through another full season of the defense crapping out? I don't, at least don't want to see the same crappy defense the entire season with no effort made to change.

Beginning or end of October? ....... or will you just let us know when/if it's time to start clamoring for a new defensive coordinator?

Now, THAT's funny!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Man, what a lot of entertainment we're getting out of a simple topic. I understand wanting to defend the choice. It's easy to talk about how invalid the thought is now, but how many of us are going to be jumping to this guy's defense if we put a turd on the field for D, and it doesn't change week-to-week?

The time to start complaining about it when they start to suck, not before they even start practicing.

When do you determine the defense sucks? After the first completed pass as some around here are trying to do? Or wait to see how the season develops and ends up? I don't know how you evaluate a young defense like this until you see how the season goes and ends up according to what the coaches expectations.

Who's complaining? Its like saying you are complaining about a hurricane when you are buying emergency supplies in the winter. I am not complaining. And I sure as hell didn't say the defense sucks after the first completed pass. I've clearly stated October. Look, I am looking back to what's happened and with that in mind saying IF the defense sucks by mid season I would rather see a change, to not continue on for 5 or 6 more games with the same ineffective schemes. I'd rather try something different IF the first half sucks, even if it turns out the second half sucks because at least the team DID SOMETHING to try and improve. Did anyone watch the video? Did the scenario of the CB being off the WR 9 yards when the opposing offense only needed a couple yards sound familiar??? Who wants to go through another full season of the defense crapping out? I don't, at least don't want to see the same crappy defense the entire season with no effort made to change.

Beginning or end of October? ....... or will you just let us know when/if it's time to start clamoring for a new defensive coordinator?

I give him until halftime of the McNeese game.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Eh. A lot of what you've been whining about should have been on mute. But it's sort of a moot point, now.

TAMU gave up 57 points to LaTech mid-season...should have fired their DC.....I mean if La Tech did that just IMAGINE what Bama would do
LA Tech scored the most points of any D1 team in college football last season so it wasn't just against TAMU. But yeah, Mark Snider's defense coughed up a lot of points in 3 quarters in that game. But we had seen that at USF a few times. Pitt put 44 points up, Cincy 37, Louisville 34 in 2011,
LA Tech was the only team to score more than 30 points against TAMU last year. This one game is a huge outlier. Most games the opponent scored between 20 and 30. Looking at one game, and saying Snyder was doing a bad job, isn't fair considering the rest of the schedule, first year of new coaching staff, first year in the SEC, and 11-2 record, Beat Bama, and destroyed Sooners (big12 champion, were 10-2 going in) in their bowl game.
I didn't say that he was. And LA Tech was the only team to score over 50 points on TAMU. But that was normal for them last year.
And also over 30...? http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=632662&SPID=93232&DB_OEM_ID=27300&Q_SEASON=2012

Over 30 could mean 31 which sounds nowhere near as bad as over 50. I mean if they got 60 or 70 scored on them, would you still say, over 30? That's like saying I was going over the 35 mph speed limit when I was going 80. What is the reaction to that? Oh, its only over 35 or that its a huge number?
I saw this as the opposite. Saying over 50 could mean 10 teams scored 45 points, and is so high it's hard to gauge what was actually more of a typical game. I was trying to show that 57 was not normal and not good to use as the only data sample. The very high score of 57 was already known. Saying 30 shows that 57 is a very large deviation from the rest of the data sample. Saying 50 does not. 57 is only a 7 point deviation from 50, not too big, 14%. But 57 is a deviation of 90% from 30. Choosing 30 is more representative of the rest of the data sample, and gives a better representation of how far outside of the rest of the sample 57 really is. Not knowing the actual score was 57, yes saying 30 doesn't tell you much. But 57 was known, and chooaing 30 shows that it is not typical much more accurately than choosing to say 50. Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

I'm sure Chucky will do just fine. He's inherited a stellar D-line.

And Cooper has shown recent success with defensive backs in College. And last season at Tampa Bay, you guys forget he had to deal with a lot of key injuries on defense last year. I mean a lot of injuries in the secondary. You can't expect him to do a good job when all of the key guys are missing. Barber was too old to stick people as a CB so they moved him to Safety, and then had to keep having him play occasional CB because they had no alternative.

Let's just see what happens. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The FIRE SKIP HOLTZ thread appeared last Oct. so I am sure, if the defense is getting totally trashed that someone will start the thread this coming Oct.. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

And Cooper has shown recent success with defensive backs in College. And last season at Tampa Bay, you guys forget he had to deal with a lot of key injuries on defense last year. I mean a lot of injuries in the secondary. You can't expect him to do a good job when all of the key guys are missing. Barber was too old to stick people as a CB so they moved him to Safety, and then had to keep having him play occasional CB because they had no alternative.

Haven't you read the earlier posts? In slick's world it is only about stats. Injuries or other issues don't really mean too much. Edited by usfgrad84
  • Downvote 1

And Cooper has shown recent success with defensive backs in College. And last season at Tampa Bay, you guys forget he had to deal with a lot of key injuries on defense last year. I mean a lot of injuries in the secondary. You can't expect him to do a good job when all of the key guys are missing. Barber was too old to stick people as a CB so they moved him to Safety, and then had to keep having him play occasional CB because they had no alternative.

Haven't you read the earlier posts? In slick's world it is only about stats. Injuries or other issues don't really mean too much.

Did you even watch the video on his last defense I posted? Go watch that and he goes over issue with schemes being the problem, not injuries. And all teams have other issues. I'd rather have a coaching staff that deals with 'other' issues instead of letting them make the team one of the worse in the history of the league, not that it was the cause for their demise anyway. Injuries and  "other" issues don't cause your CBs to be 9 yards off the WRs in short yardage situations nor have your MLB in a deep zone trying to cover one of the 5 top WR in the league.

Stop being an apologist for this hire and open you mind to the very real possibility the defense could make Cosh's look extraordinary.

And Cooper has shown recent success with defensive backs in College. And last season at Tampa Bay, you guys forget he had to deal with a lot of key injuries on defense last year. I mean a lot of injuries in the secondary. You can't expect him to do a good job when all of the key guys are missing. Barber was too old to stick people as a CB so they moved him to Safety, and then had to keep having him play occasional CB because they had no alternative.

His last D line in 2011 in Oakland had pro bowlers on it. Richard Seymour is a 5x Pro Bowler, including 2011. John Henderson, who looks like Bigfoot, was also on the line and a 2x Pro Bowler. Tommy Kelly was a 2010 Pro Bowl alternate.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

The FIRE SKIP HOLTZ thread appeared last Oct. so I am sure, if the defense is getting totally trashed that someone will start the thread this coming Oct.. 

Hard to argue against that ... except that some of the spoiled ones in here were already apoplectic about the previous year and it didn't take much ... although loses  to Ball State and Temple was more than much.

• 1 month later...

Well maybe I'm not the idiot some made me out to be after all. That being said, I want to see the defense fixed, it was the most glaring issue after the QB change was done. The media and some in this thread voice a lot of confidence in the talent of the DL, rightfully so. But calling the right plays can defeat talent.