• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I Hope That CWT Is Prepared For Swift Coaching Changes If Needed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

You don't even have a full comprehension of the statistics you are reading. It is not entitled the worst defense in history. It is about one meaningless statistical category. You can play games with any statistical category you want. I would argue that first downs allowed is a more important category than average rushing yards allowed. The Patriots were last in the league in preventing first downs. In fact, they were worse than the Raiders that year in many defensive statistics. They went to the Super Bowl that year. Are you going to argue that Belichik is also a bad defensive minded coach?

As I said, that Raiders team was bad, no argument there, but it wasn't even in the 3 worst defenses in that season, let alone history.

Come back and talk about it when the team defense is last in points allowed or even total yards allowed. That is how games are won or lost.

Write the website and tell them they are wrong. One of the few teams in NFL history that the defense gave up an average of over 5 yards on all plays. That's what you don't seem to comprehend. Its the ONLY statistic that counts on defense, stopping the other team.

#1. The only stat that matters on defense is not allowing points to be scored.

#2. The title of the statistical category is "Worst Run Defenses". As in stopping the other teams running game. It wasn't a commentary, per se, about the coach "ran" the defense.

Again, no argument that Raider team sucked. But it has nothing to do with the USF team in 2013.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

You don't even have a full comprehension of the statistics you are reading.  It is not entitled the worst defense in history.  It is about one meaningless statistical category.  You can play games with any statistical category you want.  I would argue that first downs allowed is a more important category than average rushing yards allowed.  The Patriots were last in the league in preventing first downs.  In fact, they were worse than the Raiders that year in many defensive statistics.  They went to the Super Bowl that year.  Are you going to argue that Belichik is also a bad defensive minded coach?  

As I said, that Raiders team was bad, no argument there, but it wasn't even in the 3 worst defenses in that season, let alone history.  

Come back and talk about it when the team defense is last in points allowed or even total yards allowed.  That is how games are won or lost.

Write the website and tell them they are wrong. One of the few teams in NFL history that the defense gave up an average of over 5 yards on all plays. That's what you don't seem to comprehend. Its the ONLY statistic that counts on defense, stopping the other team.

The ONLY statistic that counts on defense is keeping the other team from scoring more points than your team ... Is that the one you're talking about?

Stopping and not scoring go hand and hand. 

I have a question, IF our defense were to under-perform, who exactly would you have coaching the D if we fired CB? How many games does he get? What is your definition of under-performing? It's easy to say that things should happen, the difficult part is dealing with the choices that you make.

I'd look at the position coaches first if USF is continually having the defense shredded by early Oct. I wouldn't fire him, I'd move him to LB coach which he seems to do well at.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Man, what a lot of entertainment we're getting out of a simple topic. I understand wanting to defend the choice. It's easy to talk about how invalid the thought is now, but how many of us are going to be jumping to this guy's defense if we put a turd on the field for D, and it doesn't change week-to-week?

It's all just hypothetical, let's get to football season already!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Man, what a lot of entertainment we're getting out of a simple topic. I understand wanting to defend the choice. It's easy to talk about how invalid the thought is now, but how many of us are going to be jumping to this guy's defense if we put a turd on the field for D, and it doesn't change week-to-week?

The time to start complaining about it when they start to suck, not before they even start practicing.

When do you determine the defense sucks? After the first completed pass as some around here are trying to do? Or wait to see how the season develops and ends up? I don't know how you evaluate a young defense like this until you see how the season goes and ends up according to what the coaches expectations.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I get it, trust me--I'm too loyal sometimes. But it stretched every fiber of my loyalty to watch us do the same dumb things every week, to the point I almost dreaded the coming of Saturday during the season, and don't even mention a Thurs night game. I don't want anyone gone yet (that's insane), but I don't want to go back to that depression anymore if we start falling into that pattern again! I just want to see the Bulls start growing again week to week, year to year--I think that's where slick was trying to go with the topic...I think.

But agree, let's re-evaluate after a few games. Looks like we're all on pins & needles, ready for this thing to begin! Still more than a month...sigh.

• Upvote 1

I get it, trust me--I'm too loyal sometimes. But it stretched every fiber of my loyalty to watch us do the same dumb things every week, to the point I almost dreaded the coming of Saturday during the season, and don't even mention a Thurs night game. I don't want anyone gone yet (that's insane), but I don't want to go back to that depression anymore if we start falling into that pattern again! I just want to see the Bulls start growing again week to week, year to year--I think that's where slick was trying to go with the topic...I think.

But agree, let's re-evaluate after a few games. Looks like we're all on pins & needles, ready for this thing to begin! Still more than a month...sigh.

Yes, this is pretty much my thoughts including not wanting anyone gone yet.

The time to start complaining about it when they start to suck, not before they even start practicing.

When do you determine the defense sucks? After the first completed pass as some around here are trying to do? Or wait to see how the season develops and ends up? I don't know how you evaluate a young defense like this until you see how the season goes and ends up according to what the coaches expectations.

Who's complaining? Its like saying you are complaining about a hurricane when you are buying emergency supplies in the winter. I am not complaining. And I sure as hell didn't say the defense sucks after the first completed pass. I've clearly stated October. Look, I am looking back to what's happened and with that in mind saying IF the defense sucks by mid season I would rather see a change, to not continue on for 5 or 6 more games with the same ineffective schemes. I'd rather try something different IF the first half sucks, even if it turns out the second half sucks because at least the team DID SOMETHING to try and improve. Did anyone watch the video? Did the scenario of the CB being off the WR 9 yards when the opposing offense only needed a couple yards sound familiar??? Who wants to go through another full season of the defense crapping out? I don't, at least don't want to see the same crappy defense the entire season with no effort made to change.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Who's complaining? Its like saying you are complaining about a hurricane when you are buying emergency supplies in the winter. I am not complaining. And I sure as hell didn't say the defense sucks after the first completed pass. I've clearly stated October. Look, I am looking back to what's happened and with that in mind saying IF the defense sucks by mid season I would rather see a change, to not continue on for 5 or 6 more games with the same ineffective schemes. I'd rather try something different IF the first half sucks, even if it turns out the second half sucks because at least the team DID SOMETHING to try and improve. Did anyone watch the video? Did the scenario of the CB being off the WR 9 yards when the opposing offense only needed a couple yards sound familiar??? Who wants to go through another full season of the defense crapping out? I don't, at least don't want to see the same crappy defense the entire season with no effort made to change.

Beginning or end of October? ....... or will you just let us know when/if it's time to start clamoring for a new defensive coordinator?

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

You don't even have a full comprehension of the statistics you are reading.  It is not entitled the worst defense in history.  It is about one meaningless statistical category.  You can play games with any statistical category you want.  I would argue that first downs allowed is a more important category than average rushing yards allowed.  The Patriots were last in the league in preventing first downs.  In fact, they were worse than the Raiders that year in many defensive statistics.  They went to the Super Bowl that year.  Are you going to argue that Belichik is also a bad defensive minded coach?  

Come back and talk about it when the team defense is last in points allowed or even total yards allowed.  That is how games are won or lost.

The ONLY statistic that counts on defense is keeping the other team from scoring more points than your team ... Is that the one you're talking about?

Stopping and not scoring go hand and hand. 

Turnovers and stopping go hand and hand, yet you were fairly eager to dismiss the fact that his defenses were top 5 (or close to it) in turnovers every year he was in Cincy