• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Basketball Championship - Ouch!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea?  With the new makeup of the league, I think we should be looking at nba-type arenas in centrally located major cities without an AAC team - Atlanta, Charlotte, DC?

http://blogs.dailypennsylvanian.com/thebuzz/2013/04/12/palestra-a-potential-site-for-aac-conference-tourney/

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

According to Mark Blaudschun, AAC commissioner, Mike Aresco, is a fan of the historic nature of Penn's basketball arena. Moreover, the Palestra seats fewer than 9,000 people, and the small size of the venue would create an increased demand for tickets to the multi-day event.

If you want to stimulate demand by limiting supply just hold the entire thing in a cardboard box and be done with it.  Who from Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte, etc is going to want to visit this place in February?  DUMB

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea?  With the new makeup of the league, I think we should be looking at nba-type arenas in centrally located major cities without an AAC team - Atlanta, Charlotte, DC?

http://blogs.dailypennsylvanian.com/thebuzz/2013/04/12/palestra-a-potential-site-for-aac-conference-tourney/

Our tourney needs to be held in the city of one of its' members until we see if there's major conference type interest in it ... The Palestra fits that bill for the first one.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Yet another superb job my Mike Aresco :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

Of course you're on board, you live there! But I like it. Better to have a packed arena than a 1/4 full NBA arena. And it's not like it would be in Tampa or Orlando anyway.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Nothing screams minor league like playing your conference bball tourney in an arena with less than 10K seats.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

"and the Penn basketball seasons' typically end prior to the beginning of conference tournament season"

Not true, Ivy league games continue during the conference tournaments, in fact Penn played Princeton on 3/12 the day the BE tourney started. Conference Tourney season was more than half over by that Tuesday.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I say we put it in Memphis and leave it there for the forseeable future. Geographically central, good town to visit, and they have a history of supporting basketball.

Tigers and Grizzlies both average 16,000+

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mem/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/stats/season_stats.pdf
http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

640px-American_Athletic_Conference_Map.p

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

RF,

While I live in the Philly area that really doesn't sway my opinion.  I'm a season ticket holder (football) and make trips to Tampa regularly for games.  I'm looking more at the big picture and the opportunity this will present for branding USF.  We've got to think bigger than the Tampa area.

What is this "Tampacentric" BS? No one hear has said that it should be in Tampa. Would you be as happy if it were in Houston, or Dallas? If you want outside of Tampa, fine, but an arena with 9K seats?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

I say Vegas.....or Atlantic City!

• Upvote 2