• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The NCAA Is Under Seige

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

If we pay the student athletes, I think we should treat them like any other student. No sports scholarships, only academic scholarships. Then pay them the same wages that the students receive for working on campus - $7.25 - $9.25 per hour. If it's a school business make it like any other school business and leave education out of it.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If we pay the student athletes, I think we should treat them like any other student. No sports scholarships, only academic scholarships. Then pay them the same wages that the students receive for working on campus - $7.25 - $9.25 per hour. If it's a school business make it like any other school business and leave education out of it.

Be careful what you wish for. This is essentially what D2 and D3 do... We're already essentially back to FCS, let's hope we don't fall THAT far.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

If we held athletes to the same standard as regular students then we wouldn't have very many athletes.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Under Siege?

Seige

----------------

The NCAA

FIFY. Now it matches the thread title!

No, it doesn't .... You need to do some more fixin.

Oops. You're right. Too many "unders"

Nope ... Look again, Professor .... although I don't think you can change it to match the thread title without Photoshop.

Huh?

I think he means you should have it read "Seige."   :D

FRACK!

Oops! The photoshop comment threw me. It's text, not a graphic. LOL

Happy now?

Your original was a graphic .... and ecstatic.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

This tired conversation that has been going on for years becomes a real issue when an entire team refuses to take the field for some bowl game or NCAA basketball tournament game.

It would be selfish and short-sighted of the student-athletes but it would afford many fans the opportunity to stop supporting college athletics.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

This tired conversation that has been going on for years becomes a real issue when an entire team refuses to take the field for some bowl game or NCAA basketball tournament game.

It would be selfish and short-sighted of the student-athletes but it would afford many fans the opportunity to stop supporting college athletics.

Every time there is a lockout or walkout..The fans get SCREWED

But not as bad as the Owners and the Players as they try to get the fans back to buy season Tickets and pay $6.50 to $7.00 for a beer.,

When things get ****** pro-teams change cities

What is a School going to do..Shut down the program..There have been plenty of schools who have had a loosing program and stopped football.

It is possible to kill the Golden Goose..The saddest part is USF won't have a goose to roast for Thanksgiving.

Go Bulls.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

so a free college education, room and board for 4+ years, free state of the art health care, and extensive on the job training and potential  job placement is not enough? 

not even close

they gave that 30 years ago

the talent needs to finally get paid and paid well

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

when you start paying coaches like professors i will buy that argument

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Why should the players get anymore than they already do?

Like bulliever said, this pay the players idea is based on a sense of entitlement. Most of these players would be nothing without the universities.

If being a college athlete is such a raw deal and unfair then let the players try and form their own league or persue another venture instead of attending college. They still have choices.

They don't do that because of the huge benefits attending a university has.

You guys are making it sound as if they are slaves or something. They have all of their freedoms. They can quit, or not attend at all, or attend a university as a non-athlete.

These guys have food, housing, and healthcare all being provided for them, in addition to a university education. It's voluntary arrangement, not some labor camp. If the conditions and compensation are so terrible then the players have the option to do something else.

Now they need a salary too? Where can I find an example of this arrangement anywhere else... Food, housing, healthcare and an additional salary? (Government welfare programs are the only thing that comes to mind, which shows the entitlement aspect this debate)

If the players are going to be paid then they should not get free food, housing, healthcare and tuition unless they can earn those through an academic scholarship. Paying them shifts their relationship from primarily being a student to being an employee. You can be atudent and employee simultaneously but unless your academics earned you a full ride you are not getting free food, housing and tuition and a pay check. Also, I don't know of any scholarship or university job that pays for healthcare costs.

Do universities provide food housing healthcare and free education for any other employee?

Paying players is a ridiculous notion.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Why should the players get anymore than they already do?

Like bulliever said, this pay the players idea is based on a sense of entitlement. Most of these players would be nothing without the universities.

If being a college athlete is such a raw deal and unfair then let the players try and form their own league or persue another venture instead of attending college. They still have choices.

They don't do that because of the huge benefits attending a university has.

You guys are making it sound as if they are slaves or something. They have all of their freedoms. They can quit, or not attend at all, or attend a university as a non-athlete.

These guys have food, housing, and healthcare all being provided for them, in addition to a university education. It's voluntary arrangement, not some labor camp. If the conditions and compensation are so terrible then the players have the option to do something else.

Now they need a salary too? Where can I find an example of this arrangement anywhere else... Food, housing, healthcare and an additional salary? (Government welfare programs are the only thing that comes to mind, which shows the entitlement aspect this debate)

If the players are going to be paid then they should not get free food, housing, healthcare and tuition unless they can earn those through an academic scholarship. Paying them shifts their relationship from primarily being a student to being an employee. You can be atudent and employee simultaneously but unless your academics earned you a full ride you are not getting free food, housing and tuition and a pay check. Also, I don't know of any scholarship or university job that pays for healthcare costs.

Do universities provide food housing healthcare and free education for any other employee?

Paying players is a ridiculous notion.

Well spoken, and I agree with you 100%.  

• Upvote 1