• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If Skip Holtz Stays @ USF, then

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

When has Skip said the losses were on him? I listen to the post game on the way home from the stadium and his weekly show on Sunday Am and he ALWAYS says "Im proud of the way they competed" He also refers to US as USF, USF did this and USF did that, He hardly ever says WE did this or that.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

A year ago Florida fans wanted to fire Muschamp. I guess that wouldn't have been a good idea.

Did you really just compare Skip Holtz to Muschamp?

Yes, the situations are strikingly similar. As is the comparison between Holtz and where Heath was just a short time ago.

The best thing to do might be to fire Holtz. But making that decision purely on wins and losses isn't smart.

Similar? Muschamp went 7-6 his first year and won the Gator Bowl. The year before he was coach they went 8-5.

How is that anywhere close to taking a team that went 8-5 to: 8-5, 5-7, 3-9????

Given the talent each had available to them, it is a reasonable comparison.

Here, just from a W/L section I'll let you decide who's better and who is in trouble:

Guest Coach A: 7-6 (bowl win), 11-1

Guest Coach B: 8-5 (bowl win), 5-7, 3-9

Now, who do you think did good? and who do you think did bad?

But this is about COACHING, guest B doesn't make smart decisions and leaves the crowd and announcers to make statements like "Not sure why he just did that, that was a terrible call" on a regular basis

Guest A is constantly praised for his defensive mind, excellent play calling, and energy on the field.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hem Slick is Skippy or one of his assistant coaches in disquise. lol He is worried about his job, he is on here defending his tireless leader when he should be out game planning for Pitt. LOL

Yeah and so is Databull. But in reality, I don't care if he stays or goes at this point as long as there is signs of true improvement. I am not all hell bent on firing him knowing that its just as conceivable he could win the Big East next year and USF could get the equivalent of a Rich Rod at Michigan if they go with a new coach.

Any time you fire a coach and hire a new coach, you take a gamble. The Michigan hire of RR was a calculated risk that ended up backfiring. Charlie Weis' resume at NE in the NFL looked great on paper but he turned out to be a clown HC. There are many intangibles and it takes a willingness on everyone's part to buy into the system to make it work.

Despite what you say above about not caring if he stays or goes, you are coming across as defensive for Holtz and your words belie your assertion.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Hem Slick is Skippy or one of his assistant coaches in disquise. lol He is worried about his job, he is on here defending his tireless leader when he should be out game planning for Pitt. LOL

Yeah and so is Databull. But in reality, I don't care if he stays or goes at this point as long as there is signs of true improvement. I am not all hell bent on firing him knowing that its just as conceivable he could win the Big East next year and USF could get the equivalent of a Rich Rod at Michigan if they go with a new coach.

Rich rod at Michigan

2008 - 3-9

2009 - 5-7

2010 - 7-6

He was trending up, just overall not acceptable at Michigan.

Skip is trending down.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

A year ago Florida fans wanted to fire Muschamp. I guess that wouldn't have been a good idea.

Did you really just compare Skip Holtz to Muschamp?

Yes, the situations are strikingly similar. As is the comparison between Holtz and where Heath was just a short time ago.

The best thing to do might be to fire Holtz. But making that decision purely on wins and losses isn't smart.

Similar? Muschamp went 7-6 his first year and won the Gator Bowl. The year before he was coach they went 8-5.

How is that anywhere close to taking a team that went 8-5 to: 8-5, 5-7, 3-9????

Given the talent each had available to them, it is a reasonable comparison.

Here, just from a W/L section I'll let you decide who's better and who is in trouble:

Guest Coach A: 7-6 (bowl win), 11-1

Guest Coach B: 8-5 (bowl win), 5-7, 3-9

Now, who do you think did good? and who do you think did bad?

But this is about COACHING, guest B doesn't make smart decisions and leaves the crowd and announcers to make statements like "Not sure why he just did that, that was a terrible call" on a regular basis

Guest A is constantly praised for his defensive mind, excellent play calling, and energy on the field.

A year ago fans were calling for his head, and he was being praised by no one. Fortunately the UF administration was more patient than their fans.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

When has Skip said the losses were on him? I listen to the post game on the way home from the stadium and his weekly show on Sunday Am and he ALWAYS says "Im proud of the way they competed" He also refers to US as USF, USF did this and USF did that, He hardly ever says WE did this or that.

I have seen him say it on his weekly shows. That the loss was on the coaches, himself and the players. You must have selective hearing. It didn't take long to find, for example:

http://www.tampabay....e-skid-falls-me

Holtz on four-game skid: 'That falls on me'

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not in the habit of giving props to a college football coach for saying something he should be saying anyway. Sure, he may have shouldered the blame for losses as he should, but he has explained his greatest blunders away with pitiful excuses. If you don't get that then you are in denial.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

For me, it's (A) - the level of preparation week in and week out. WAY to many occasions where the team stands around waiting for a decision to be made. Take a time out and then get a delay of game penalty? NOT take a time out? NOT slow the game down at the end to take time off the clock?

(B) - the intensity level on the field was almost zero at times this year.

© - Defense

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

That was supposed to be A,B,C. I have no idea how it changed.