• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What might have been. We were on the verge of the big time.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

I'm concerned that other teams out of the "big 5" really don't have a reason to schedule us anymore.

I'm not sure. The expanded conferences give them less options for OOC games.

Agreed. If you're not in, you're getting choked out.

This is true. By the way, I love the out of conference games. Another thing I don't like about the current trend in CFB.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

we'd have been left behind no matter what

look at how well cinci has performed...

+1

And they begged and had success in football

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

we'd have been left behind no matter what

look at how well cinci has performed...

For the most part most of our Big East bretheren improved, and I feel that we just languished. Cinci and UL certainly ran with what the Big East provided and certainly improved. Even purtrid UConn has won a share of the Big East title, but their Athletics Department may be in bigger disarray than ours is right now. The Big East may have been too much, too soon for our athletics leadership (and possibly our fanbase). With some consistent in-conference winning, I think USF will be in a better position during the next round of conference reshuffling. Hopefully, USF will also be a few steps closer to AAU inclusion as well; our 6-year graduation rates and student/teacher ratios need to improve on the academic side of things.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

with wollard and holtz usf will remain bad

usf will not win in watered down conference either

we are terrible

we have no qb for the future

what talented kid would play for holtz after this year?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  0

We were this close to the big time. Just a few more wins in the 07-08 era and it would have cemented USF into the "Big time" football school status forever.

USF would have never had to worry about conference hopping. Someone would have gladly accepted USF into their conference. The recruits would have continued to roll in.

I'm afraid USF will never get to that level again in this watered down Big East. It's just too much of a disrespected conference for a team to make that type of noise again. I hope I am wrong. Oh, what might have been.

You sound like a UCF fan. All that talk about how special you were or how close you were is complete BS. USF, like every other "mid Major" never had a chance. This is a game of kiss ass between old money programs and programs with "national TV appeal" and ESPN. This is the good old boys protecting their own and holding onto the purse strings. If the system had stayed the same you might have broken into the club, but they fixed that to keep you out. No level playing field for new programs. Boise kicked butt for years and are still ranked, they scared a lot of programs and beat some good ones, yet they sit on the outside looking in. It is not about signature wins, conference championships or any other on field accomplishments. It is about holding onto the money and the perception of money. USF just has not been around long enough to have garnered that attention. Now if the big conferences get desperate for that last addition to round the numbers off, USF by virtue of its Big East affiliation will be in line.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197

This really has nothing at all to do with winning (Unless we have a run like Boise State), winning just helps put butts in the seats which will grow the fan base. We all know our fan base is extremely fragile, it will be very interesting to see what the season ticket sales will become next year. We will not be in a better position for realignment then we are now even if we have a run of 8-4 seasons and bowl appearances as long as we have announced of 40k and actuals of 30k.

Unfortunately if we want to improve our stock, we are all going to have to continue to go to games, and invest in athletics. We have the university size, and media market, the fan base is just not there, yet...............

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Unfortunately if we want to improve our stock, we are all going to have to continue to go to games, and invest in athletics

Unfortunately??

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197

Unfortunately if we want to improve our stock, we are all going to have to continue to go to games, and invest in athletics

Unfortunately??

There is no quick fix, magic pill, or Devine intervention. USF and the fans need to work at this one and take ownership of the situation. Not renewing season tickets and withholding athletics support is the quickest way to ensure we will stay in our current state. Unfortunately, yes, because a lot on this board are threatening these actions.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Unfortunately??

There is no quick fix, magic pill, or Devine intervention. USF and the fans need to work at this one and take ownership of the situation. Not renewing season tickets and withholding athletics support is the quickest way to ensure we will stay in our current state. Unfortunately, yes, because a lot on this board are threatening these actions.

Got it ... I'm hoping that after things settle down, most who can afford it will see the importance of continuing their support. Kind of an emotional time right now ...

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

We were this close to the big time. Just a few more wins in the 07-08 era and it would have cemented USF into the "Big time" football school status forever.

USF would have never had to worry about conference hopping. Someone would have gladly accepted USF into their conference. The recruits would have continued to roll in.

I'm afraid USF will never get to that level again in this watered down Big East. It's just too much of a disrespected conference for a team to make that type of noise again. I hope I am wrong. Oh, what might have been.

You sound like a UCF fan. All that talk about how special you were or how close you were is complete BS. USF, like every other "mid Major" never had a chance. This is a game of kiss ass between old money programs and programs with "national TV appeal" and ESPN. This is the good old boys protecting their own and holding onto the purse strings. If the system had stayed the same you might have broken into the club, but they fixed that to keep you out. No level playing field for new programs. Boise kicked butt for years and are still ranked, they scared a lot of programs and beat some good ones, yet they sit on the outside looking in. It is not about signature wins, conference championships or any other on field accomplishments. It is about holding onto the money and the perception of money. USF just has not been around long enough to have garnered that attention. Now if the big conferences get desperate for that last addition to round the numbers off, USF by virtue of its Big East affiliation will be in line.

You know the powers that be like those Bull Gators want to be sure to keep the club exclusive as does the money grubbing ESECPN.