• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

28-5 vs. 15 - 18

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

This is Skips record if he would have held onto leads vs. his actual record at USF - 13 potential wins. USF lost nine games under Holtz in games that we had a fourth-quarter lead and four more in which we were tied. Difference from being coach of the year to being fired.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

This is Skips record if he would have held onto leads vs. his actual record at USF - 13 potential wins. USF lost nine games under Holtz in games that we had a fourth-quarter lead and four more in which we were tied. Difference from being coach of the year to being fired.

You sound like a UCiF'er!

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,076
  • Days Won:  14

I think the "close games" stat used to benefit the coaching staff after last season. Before this season, I used to tell people, "we're just a few plays away from being BE champs last year. Look at how close the games were..."

At this point in the 2012 season, I can see that losing close games is a systemic problem without a solution. In other words, there's no reason to think that we won't just continue to blow 4th quarter leads for the next couple of years if we don't change the root cause.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You sound like a UCiF'er!

How so?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Did you see the interview with him on channel 13 yesterday?

He has no clue what's wrong or how to fix it, and has no intentions of trying anything different. His line about status quo was bs.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Seems to me like he wants to get fired and get paid, if that's the case.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

If you were not watching the games, this "stat" would seem indicative of a good coach with bad luck... But let's be real. Our defense has turned into a sieve, we're barely beating Nevada and losing to temple, ball state, and Syracuse (these games shouldn't even be close). We can't settle for mediocrity (or in our case, pure suck). Skip will never take us to "the next level"

Edited by Grothe4Heisman

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

At first I thought it was just bad luck and ball just rolled the wrong way for us. Now though, it is obvious that it is a systematic and predictable issue with the coaching staff. I know at some point it comes down to the players executing correctly(not dropping passes, blocking properly, etc), but when it happens this many times IN A ROW it just falls on the coaching staff. I think it really does. I would like to be wrong, but I just dont see any other common denominator.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

carolina panthers having the same problem this year. close losses. does this sound familiar?

first he tries to justify a stupid decision in the first half instead of owning it and saying what he did was wrong and then he goes into soft zone coverage at the end. from charlotte observer.

With Carolina ahead 13-7 and three seconds to go before halftime, the Panthers had the ball at the Chicago 33.

Instead, Rivera skipped the field goal and decided to try a desperation heave into the end zone.

“Well, because of the cross wind and stuff like that, that ball comes out at that point. It’s getting pushed. That was one of the concerns. We thought our best bet was to throw it into the end zone and see what happens. In hindsight, you can say that maybe we should have gone ahead and tried it…. It’s easy to second-guess at this point.â€

Decision 2: With the Panthers ahead 22-20 and Chicago needing a field goal to win, the Bears start at their own 22 and with 2:20 on the clock. Carolina goes into a soft zone defense, keeping all the Bears’ receivers in front of them. The problem: there’s way too much time left for this strategy. The Bears basically run the same play all the way down the field – a 10-12 yard pass to Jay Cutler’s left, in front of cornerback Josh Norman, usually to Brandon Marshall – and finish the game with a field goal at the final gun.

Panther players were careful not to criticize their coaches directly after the game, but several did point out the Bears ran the same play over and over against the same coverage.

Rivera’s reasoning: “We were trying to keep the ball in front of us. It’s one of those things where if you jump it and they double move you, now all of a sudden it’s a touchdown or the ball is in field goal range. We were trying to make them systematically beat us. They got in field-goal position, and you take your chances at that point.â€

The part that sticks out to me in that quote? “We were trying to make them systematically beat us.â€

Well, if that was the goal, the Panthers certainly succeeded.

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/10/major-coaching-mistakes-contribute.html