• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How many want Willie Taggart to be our next coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ole Miss just hired Hugh Freeze from Arkansas State. He was last year's Willie Taggart. I don't think you can say there is a definitive well that the SEC will go to. Those schools are going to hire whoever they think is best. Be it a NFL coordinator, small school Head Coach, or a college assistant.

Is Kentucky a better job? No. But they've got a hell of a lot more money than we do. Especially after we have to buy out Skip.

Joe, I think I've seen you say that pretty much every name mentioned would be hard or unrealistic for USF to get. Sme I agree with such as Petrino. What names do you think are possible, if anyone?

I don't think Taggart is unrealistic. I think the idea of jumping the gun to get a "head start" on him is unrealistic. The guy isn't going to jump at the first job offered, especially with several openings on the horizon. Whether USF gives him the best opportunity or most money remains to be seen.

Other candidates? If we're looking for a current head coach?

- Sonny Dykes

- Mario Cristobal (and spare me the he can't win. He's at FIU...)

- Dan McCarney would be a solid get

- David Cutcliffe

Assistant

- Kirby Smart would be a home run

- Jon Chavis

- James Coley

- Greg Mattison at Michigan was at UF for a bit

Others

- Rich Biasaccia could get a look

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I admit I didn't know who this was.

After some research and off the cuff I think it may make the most sense (as a viable option) for a handful of reasons...

1. We end up firirng Skip year end and pay the buy out, this guy would be affodable.

2. Let's see how he finishes the season, appears to be turning things around at WKU. Hell, if the argument is experience look no further than gap tooth Shiano. Man got an NFL HC gig after what...turning around a crap team and pounding us a few time. If Skip loses out this year would this guy have done the same, worse or better?

3. Sometimes inexperience can be your friend, there is a ton of psychology behind this.

4. RECRUITING. Could be questionable but after looking, this may be a guy who knows a lot of people in Florida. He is 35, that means not a huge generation gap or lack of touch in the Florida recruiting seen, which we all know needs to be better. I think he would be plugged in very quickly and recieved well by coaches and players.

For now Skippy is at the helm so we can't really even play this game. Sucks to be US!

as far as recruiting, he went to manatee-bradenton high school. currently the #1 high school football team in america according to usa today and others. the same manatee-bradenton high school were skip rescinded a scholarship offer and burned bridges with the coaches there.

There was more to it than Skip just resinding that scholarship to Brion Carnes. Cocach Kinnan and Brion played a big part in what happened during this whole back and forth and Brion not making up his mind until he knew what was going on at Nebraska. I don't blame Skip for what he did with the scholarship as he needed to fill it and Brion couldn't make up his mind to commit or not. The bridge is not burned and you can bet that USF will still get some talent from Manatee High. Besides Coach Kinnan is a very hard headed individual at times and was upset at the time. If Manatee repeats as Champs in 7A this year, Joe will likely retire with his five rings and the team will hopefully be turned over to Rod Frazier. When this happens there will be plenty of chance to recruit and Willie T won't be needed. I wouldn't leave Western to come to USF anyway based on the fan base and how we all want instant success. Just my two cents.......

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I admit I didn't know who this was.

After some research and off the cuff I think it may make the most sense (as a viable option) for a handful of reasons...

1. We end up firirng Skip year end and pay the buy out, this guy would be affodable.

2. Let's see how he finishes the season, appears to be turning things around at WKU. Hell, if the argument is experience look no further than gap tooth Shiano. Man got an NFL HC gig after what...turning around a crap team and pounding us a few time. If Skip loses out this year would this guy have done the same, worse or better?

3. Sometimes inexperience can be your friend, there is a ton of psychology behind this.

4. RECRUITING. Could be questionable but after looking, this may be a guy who knows a lot of people in Florida. He is 35, that means not a huge generation gap or lack of touch in the Florida recruiting seen, which we all know needs to be better. I think he would be plugged in very quickly and recieved well by coaches and players.

For now Skippy is at the helm so we can't really even play this game. Sucks to be US!

as far as recruiting, he went to manatee-bradenton high school. currently the #1 high school football team in america according to usa today and others. the same manatee-bradenton high school were skip rescinded a scholarship offer and burned bridges with the coaches there.

There was more to it than Skip just resinding that scholarship to Brion Carnes. Cocach Kinnan and Brion played a big part in what happened during this whole back and forth and Brion not making up his mind until he knew what was going on at Nebraska. I don't blame Skip for what he did with the scholarship as he needed to fill it and Brion couldn't make up his mind to commit or not. The bridge is not burned and you can bet that USF will still get some talent from Manatee High. Besides Coach Kinnan is a very hard headed individual at times and was upset at the time. If Manatee repeats as Champs in 7A this year, Joe will likely retire with his five rings and the team will hopefully be turned over to Rod Frazier. When this happens there will be plenty of chance to recruit and Willie T won't be needed. I wouldn't leave Western to come to USF anyway based on the fan base and how we all want instant success. Just my two cents.......

I understand why he rescinded but if he wanted to keep a relationship to one of the best schools in the are (and country this year) then using 1 scholarship for carnes would not have ruined a recruiting class. I didn't think carnes was all that good anyway. I think he wasted that scholarship on that Gumby kid anyway.certainly isn't a drop back passer like what is needed in skip's system but their coach really thought what skip did was classless.

skip has not signed a single kid from bradenton-manatee so to say USF will start getting that talent now doesn't seem likely. in fact skip has done a terrible job recruiting hillsborough and it's surrounding counties. I doubt the successor at manatee has any better relationship with skip than the current coach.

our fan base doesn't want instant success. we want to see progress. Taggert took over western kentucky that went 2-24 the previous 2 seasons and has them at 5-2 in his 3rd year.

skip holtz took over a program that went 14-10 and has them at 2-5 in his 3rd year. that's with 15 returning starters and 24 seniors.he was 2 games worse than Taggert last year in both of their 2nd years.

one school has progressed while the other has regressed. I'll let you decide which is which.

according to usa today last year willie taggert makes $225,000. we pay our coach $1.775M more than him. think about that for one minute and then tell me we couldn't get him here just 2 hours from home. hell we could give him 5 times his current salary and still save almost $900k.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I wouldn't leave Western to come to USF anyway based on the fan base and how we all want instant success. Just my two cents.......

You mean the fan base that'd love to just win the Big East conference every once in a while, maybe be competitively positioned in the top-3 year-in-year-out? Man, that sounds like a fan base frothing for instant success to me.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,629
  • Days Won:  0

I'd rather have an assistant from a big time successful school like an Alabama DC or LSU DC. Someone that knows what it takes to create a winning culture and has had success on the biggest stages

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I wouldn't leave Western to come to USF anyway based on the fan base and how we all want instant success. Just my two cents.......

You mean the fan base that'd love to just win the Big East conference every once in a while, maybe be competitively positioned in the top-3 year-in-year-out? Man, that sounds like a fan base frothing for instant success to me.

it would just be nice to not be mathematically eliminated for the confernce champ by the middle of october

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Ole Miss just hired Hugh Freeze from Arkansas State. He was last year's Willie Taggart. I don't think you can say there is a definitive well that the SEC will go to. Those schools are going to hire whoever they think is best. Be it a NFL coordinator, small school Head Coach, or a college assistant.

Is Kentucky a better job? No. But they've got a hell of a lot more money than we do. Especially after we have to buy out Skip.

Joe, I think I've seen you say that pretty much every name mentioned would be hard or unrealistic for USF to get. Sme I agree with such as Petrino. What names do you think are possible, if anyone?

I don't think Taggart is unrealistic. I think the idea of jumping the gun to get a "head start" on him is unrealistic. The guy isn't going to jump at the first job offered, especially with several openings on the horizon. Whether USF gives him the best opportunity or most money remains to be seen.

Other candidates? If we're looking for a current head coach?

- Sonny Dykes

- Mario Cristobal (and spare me the he can't win. He's at FIU...)

- Dan McCarney would be a solid get

- David Cutcliffe

Assistant

- Kirby Smart would be a home run

- Jon Chavis

- James Coley

- Greg Mattison at Michigan was at UF for a bit

Others

- Rich Biasaccia could get a look

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

McCarney's record as a head coach is rather dismal, and he has had a stroke. Cristobal's record as a head coach is also miserable.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

McCarney's record as a head coach is rather dismal, and he has had a stroke. Cristobal's record as a head coach is also miserable.

This is the crap that bothers me. Cristobal won 8 games at FIU last year. FREAKING FIU! This year has been down, but its FIU.

Comparing what a coach did record wise at these small schools to what they can do isn't always the best way to judge things. Brian Kelly didn't exactly light the world on fire at CMU. Nick Saban was average at Michigan State (be it a BCS program, it was a BAd BCS program when he got there).

Overall, Cristobal has been pretty good at FIU.