• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How many want Willie Taggart to be our next coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

I think our best chance is at a DC/OC coordinator in a major conference vs a HC doing well in a mid-major conference (i.e.- Skip Holtz ECU)

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Taggert will have a big time job after this year, possibilities are Kentucky, Tennessee if they miss out on Smart/Strong, Louisville if Strong leaves for someone, Arkansas if they strike out on Strong/Tuberville, Auburn, Cincy if Butch Jones gets an offer,

I think Taggert is the real deal and as discussed has strong ties to suncoast and recruiting, if USF wants him this year, the move needs to be made by Thanksgiving.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I admit I didn't know who this was.

After some research and off the cuff I think it may make the most sense (as a viable option) for a handful of reasons...

1. We end up firirng Skip year end and pay the buy out, this guy would be affodable.

2. Let's see how he finishes the season, appears to be turning things around at WKU. Hell, if the argument is experience look no further than gap tooth Shiano. Man got an NFL HC gig after what...turning around a crap team and pounding us a few time. If Skip loses out this year would this guy have done the same, worse or better?

3. Sometimes inexperience can be your friend, there is a ton of psychology behind this.

4. RECRUITING. Could be questionable but after looking, this may be a guy who knows a lot of people in Florida. He is 35, that means not a huge generation gap or lack of touch in the Florida recruiting seen, which we all know needs to be better. I think he would be plugged in very quickly and recieved well by coaches and players.

For now Skippy is at the helm so we can't really even play this game. Sucks to be US!

as far as recruiting, he went to manatee-bradenton high school. currently the #1 high school football team in america according to usa today and others. the same manatee-bradenton high school were skip rescinded a scholarship offer and burned bridges with the coaches there.

After some research and off the cuff I think it may make the most sense (as a viable option) for a handful of reasons...

1. We end up firirng Skip year end and pay the buy out, this guy would be affodable.

2. Let's see how he finishes the season, appears to be turning things around at WKU. Hell, if the argument is experience look no further than gap tooth Shiano. Man got an NFL HC gig after what...turning around a crap team and pounding us a few time. If Skip loses out this year would this guy have done the same, worse or better?

3. Sometimes inexperience can be your friend, there is a ton of psychology behind this.

4. RECRUITING. Could be questionable but after looking, this may be a guy who knows a lot of people in Florida. He is 35, that means not a huge generation gap or lack of touch in the Florida recruiting seen, which we all know needs to be better. I think he would be plugged in very quickly and recieved well by coaches and players.

For now Skippy is at the helm so we can't really even play this game. Sucks to be US!

Willie T is a legend in Bradenton and is VERY tapped in down there. He would be huge for recruiting. Remember when Brion Carnes was looking at Nebraska, USF, and WKU? Willie T was the connection that kept WKU in the mix when they had no business being in that discussion. When Mike Blakely was looking to transfer this year, WKU was somewhere he looked at very closely. Again, Bradenton kid with the ties to Willie T.

If we want to truly build a wall around Tampa, a guy like Willie Taggart who is a local guy is our best bet at doing it. He also hired Marquell Blackwell this year when Holtz refused to even interview him after his time as a G.A. had expired on our staff. Blackwell was not happy about that at all. It would be nice to bring back a USF legend to the coaching staff. There are a ton of connections and Willie Taggart is a guy whose stock is rising really fast. Tennessee is already rumored to be interested. We are going to have to strike soon if he is on our wish list, because he won't be available for long.

I don't get this train of thought. Strike soon before he's gone?

Sorry we're not Ohio State, or Notre Dame. We don't just walk into people's living rooms and hand them a contract.

Even if we canned Skip tomorrow and announced we were all in on Taggart, you don't think he'd hold to see who else if willing to throw their chips in his direction?

There is going to be 4 SEC positions available good January. (Arkansas, Kentucky, Auburn, and Tennessee). Coaches of his caliber (hot mid major coach) aren't jumping at USF.

when was the last time an sec school hired a sunbelt coach? serious question. Dooley?? didn't he come from sunbelt? didn't work out that well. I think young coordinators move up in sec. moosechamp and mullen are proving that's the way to go.

Taggert will have a big time job after this year, possibilities are Kentucky, Tennessee if they miss out on Smart/Strong, Louisville if Strong leaves for someone, Arkansas if they strike out on Strong/Tuberville, Auburn, Cincy if Butch Jones gets an offer,

I think Taggert is the real deal and as discussed has strong ties to suncoast and recruiting, if USF wants him this year, the move needs to be made by Thanksgiving.

kentucky is not a big time job. they pay less than us and they will NEVER be relevant in sec. Tenn tried hiring a sunbelt coach. didn;'t work out that well for them. cincy will stay regional. they're smart. they know they need a coach that recruits the area. there are 4 MAC teams at 6-1 or better including Ohio. Louisville maybe if strong leaves.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Willie T is a legend in Bradenton and is VERY tapped in down there. He would be huge for recruiting. Remember when Brion Carnes was looking at Nebraska, USF, and WKU? Willie T was the connection that kept WKU in the mix when they had no business being in that discussion. When Mike Blakely was looking to transfer this year, WKU was somewhere he looked at very closely. Again, Bradenton kid with the ties to Willie T.

If we want to truly build a wall around Tampa, a guy like Willie Taggart who is a local guy is our best bet at doing it. He also hired Marquell Blackwell this year when Holtz refused to even interview him after his time as a G.A. had expired on our staff. Blackwell was not happy about that at all. It would be nice to bring back a USF legend to the coaching staff. There are a ton of connections and Willie Taggart is a guy whose stock is rising really fast. Tennessee is already rumored to be interested. We are going to have to strike soon if he is on our wish list, because he won't be available for long.

Sorry we're not Ohio State, or Notre Dame. We don't just walk into people's living rooms and hand them a contract.

Even if we canned Skip tomorrow and announced we were all in on Taggart, you don't think he'd hold to see who else if willing to throw their chips in his direction?

There is going to be 4 SEC positions available good January. (Arkansas, Kentucky, Auburn, and Tennessee). Coaches of his caliber (hot mid major coach) aren't jumping at USF.

when was the last time an sec school hired a sunbelt coach? serious question. Dooley?? didn't he come from sunbelt? didn't work out that well. I think young coordinators move up in sec. moosechamp and mullen are proving that's the way to go.

This an asinine way of putting things. When was the last time the Sun Belt has a coach who had the hype of Taggart?

He's absolutely a candidate at those jobs...it's nuts to think otherwise.

This an asinine way of putting things. When was the last time the Sun Belt has a coach who had the hype of Taggart?

He's absolutely a candidate at those jobs...it's nuts to think otherwise.

how is it asinine? i'm serious. the sec doesn't traditionally look to the sunbelt to hire head coaches. could they ? sure. absolutely.

young coordinators have been the right move lately. strong, moosechamp, mullen.

Auburn, Tenn and Arkansas can poach a much bigger program. Auburn hired from big 12 HC last time. Tenn went sunbelt and Ark hired an NFL coach.

Kentucky isn't a better job than USF. we pay more and it is a hell of a lot easier to win in big east,than it would be to win at kentucky. it's close to home for him too.

sec coordinators are having huge success. moosechamp, mullen, strong,

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ole Miss just hired Hugh Freeze from Arkansas State. He was last year's Willie Taggart. I don't think you can say there is a definitive well that the SEC will go to. Those schools are going to hire whoever they think is best. Be it a NFL coordinator, small school Head Coach, or a college assistant.

Is Kentucky a better job? No. But they've got a hell of a lot more money than we do. Especially after we have to buy out Skip.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Ole Miss just hired Hugh Freeze from Arkansas State. He was last year's Willie Taggart. I don't think you can say there is a definitive well that the SEC will go to. Those schools are going to hire whoever they think is best. Be it a NFL coordinator, small school Head Coach, or a college assistant.

Is Kentucky a better job? No. But they've got a hell of a lot more money than we do. Especially after we have to buy out Skip.

Joe, I think I've seen you say that pretty much every name mentioned would be hard or unrealistic for USF to get. Sme I agree with such as Petrino. What names do you think are possible, if anyone?

obviously nothing is definite but I think him going to UofL if Strong were hired away would be more likely. I think Tenn, Auburn and arkansas are bigger jobs than ole miss. I see one of them going for Strong. one for Smart. maybe taggert sneaks in but Tenn tried sunbelt route already.

sure Kentucky has more money they just don't pay their head football coach more. buyot Holtz will cost $500k a year for 5 years. it's a lot but it wouldn't bankrupt the program.

unfortunately I don't think holtz is going anywhere unless our players quit on the year and we don't have at least 5 wins. I don't think Taggert has really proven anything yet and everything would have to fall perfectly for us to get him anyway. he has turned them around certainly but they were 7-5 last year. might be different by the end of this season. I do like that he is from bradenton and has connections to bradeton manatee which is considered #1 high school in america.

personally i think Magee would be a good get. he's actually who i wanted last time.we could pay him $1.3M per. still pay holtz his $500k and be better off by $200k per year. he has helped run 3 top 5 offenses and has done it by both passing and running the ball. he has apprenticed under one of the best offensive minds in college. he is from tampa and has a masters from USF.

Edited by Bull94