• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz and The Peter Principle

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I just came across the peter principle. This is the idea that as long as successful someone will be promoted until eventually they are put in a position at which they can no longer be competent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

The Peter Principle is a belief that, in an organization where promotion is based on achievement, success, and merit, that organization's members will eventually be promoted beyond their level of ability. The principle is commonly phrased, "employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence." In more formal parlance, the effect could be stated as: employees tend to be given more authority until they cannot continue to work competently. It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous [1] treatise, which also introduced the "salutary science of hierarchiology."

The principle holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Eventually they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. Peter's Corollary states that "n time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties"[2] and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence." "Managing upward" is the concept of a subordinate finding ways to subtly "manage" superiors in order to limit the damage that they end up doing.

Apparently we'd be better off picking someone at random:

Although counter-intuitive, they found that the best way to improve efficiency in an enterprise is to promote people randomly, or to shortlist the best and the worst performer in a given group, from which the person to be promoted is then selected randomly.[3] This work won the 2010 Ig Nobel Prize in management science.[5]

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Always comes back to the peter

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

I think this is spot on, Skippy has petered out as a HC at this level. I'm not sure he could be an OC at this level. I'm tired on a balanced offense. Kick ass in passing or running and let them try to stop you. In FL go with a wide open passing game to tap into the recruiting base. As much as I hated our spread offense its still better than this crap we have now.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hey! Another thread about how our head coach sucks/is over his head/just doesn't care.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

The same principle applies to Woolard as well.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Hey! Another thread about how our head coach sucks/is over his head/just doesn't care.

And how this level is so much higher than where he was ..... break out the goggles. We have a problem, and I don't know what exactly it is, but it's not because Skip, himself, is all of a sudden in over his head.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

WUT BRO? FIRE SKIP! :iconic_u_black:

aviator%20goggles%20gold%20med.jpg

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Epic find

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397

Epic find

It never fails.

After a university fires a HC they shouldn't have, hires a HC they never should have hired who eventually fails, suddenly the powers that be decide firing the HC is a bad idea leaving them with the coach they should have never hired.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

And how this level is so much higher than where he was ..... break out the goggles. We have a problem, and I don't know what exactly it is, but it's not because Skip, himself, is all of a sudden in over his head.

Trip I don't know. I never was a big fan of the Skip hire in part because of his style which was IMO a not to win but stay close and not lose. The other part again just IMO is bringing in a C-USA coach I think they are used to certain level of play and certain level of player. Regardless of what ESPN or other media say I feel the BE has a very high level of play and players. It can be a tough transition and so far it doesn't seem Skip has transitioned well. Can Skip coach in the BE,SEC,Big-10,PAC-10 etc - maybe - I don't know but his performance here doesn't bode well.