• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Buying out Holtz?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

$2.5 million to buy him out seems doable. We can raise that right? Bake sale? Car wash?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Can someone clarify how much TOTAL money USF would have to pay to fire Skip? Is it $2.5 million TOTAL (one lump sum) or is that for a term of years per year through 2017 - $12.5 million total ($2.5 million x 5 years = $12.5 million)? Greg? Anyone? Obviously, it makes a big difference. GoBulls83 is right.

it's total. he is guaranteed $500k per year. he has 5 years left.

If that's true, seems to me money wouldn't be the impediment to firing Skip. Not to say that's insignificant money, but it's not prohibitive. However, doesn't mean they'll pull the trigger (for a variety of other reasons, they'll probably keep him).

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Grandfathered in, so I will keep my eight tickets, but I can give up the Club Access and save $900/year.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Can someone clarify how much TOTAL money USF would have to pay to fire Skip? Is it $2.5 million TOTAL (one lump sum) or is that for a term of years per year through 2017 - $12.5 million total ($2.5 million x 5 years = $12.5 million)? Greg? Anyone? Obviously, it makes a big difference. GoBulls83 is right.

Wow...I thought it would be much more. We can afford that. I guess Woolard is not as clueless as we thought?

Two options:

The next couple of seasons we could go on the road for some big payday games (@USC or @Ohio State, etc.) and we can make a lot of that up.

And/or

Hire the right guy (up and coming coordinator) and pay him $1.5mil. Even after Skippy's buyout of $500K per year we still break even @ 5 years.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I wonder contractually if Skip Holtz has ultimate/final say on the coaching staff. If he doesn't, one way to force him out would be to bring in assistant coaches and coordinators that he doesn't get along with. This would hopefully lead to him resigning or taking a much smaller buyout than he is contractually entitled to receive.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I feel a lot better if that figure for Holtz's buyout is accurate. I believe there's a very good chance Holtz is gone after this year at that amount if this team performs in the second half of the season as poorly as it has in the first.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Wow...I thought it would be much more. We can afford that. I guess Woolard is not as clueless as we thought?

Two options:

The next couple of seasons we could go on the road for some big payday games (@USC or @Ohio State, etc.) and we can make a lot of that up.

And/or

Hire the right guy (up and coming coordinator) and pay him $1.5mil. Even after Skippy's buyout of $500K per year we still break even @ 5 years.

Also, as someone has already pointed out in another thread, USF stands to make at minimum another $3-4 million per year with the new TV contract (if not a lot more). They could also easily structure a new coaches contract to backload it some knowing they'll have extra funds coming in to offset the buyout.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123
  • Days Won:  0

According to the USF Alumni Association facebook page, there are 15,000 likes.

If we got 15,000 alumni to contribute $167...

;)

I'm in!! Only 14,999 to go!

That's a tiny fraction of what our 6 seats (and "club donation") costs each year... The troops are already suggesting that we don't bother renewing next year given the coaching situation the past few years - and we've had these 6 seats since day 1 in the Old Sombrero.. :(

Something has to be done, I just don't see Doug or Judy doing it.

We have had 8 seats since day 1 as well and we are thinking we might give up our seats as well

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

meanwhile... faculty pay, scholarships, capital improvements, etc

Seriously? Pay 2.5 million to fire someone?

I would be appalled. He is saying the right things. I think it has hit him.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

maybe it's all those tweets, facebook pages and websites that gave him a little idea people are upset w/ him