• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip vs. Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

I remember under Leavitt feeling we could take on anyone, I don't anymore.

I feel the same way.

I was anti Leavitt near the last few years and thought he took the program as far as he could take it but Holtz is much worse and

took the program further back.

This program is worse since he has took over and he needs to go at the end of this year.

Only way he should stay is if we turn it around and win big east but we have not a shot in hell for that to happen. This team is

mentally soft like the head coach.

I think this is the biggest issue. One of motivation, drive, vision and determination. This coaching staff and this team just doesn't have it.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Agreed OP. I want Holtz gone but leavitt can stay away as well

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

We get it, you want to get down on your knees for Charlie Strong. Enough already. Leavitt had is in bowl games for 5 straight years. Leavitt was recruiting against programs with history from a trailor and pastures as our practice fields. Leavitt was competing against his competition on a shoe string budget. Leavitt was competing against a Big East that was actually good with top 10 teams and players like Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Michael Bush, etc... If "The Jim" had all the advantages Skip has verse this pathetic conference he would be owning it.

interesting post but I would like to correct just one thing-- USF never had to play in pastures. They simply used the existing intramural fields we've had for decades before. I know-- minor point but you make it sound like we were dirt farmers or something

Made me want to sing a negro spiritual... Masta got me workin.... Workin in da fields....

Ha, ha, maybe I went a little overboard, but my point was Leavitt didn't have the nice new practice fields we now have to either recruit to, or practice on. Maybe they weren't "pastures", but were a definite step down from what we have now.

true--- when he got there, they didn't have the trailers yet-- or even a football. nothing--- ground zero

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

Skip + wally burnham > Leavitt + wally burnham ??

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,487
  • Days Won:  13

possible, but regardless we need someone new. Hire a DC from an SEC school.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397

And just why would they want to leave an SEC school and come to USF?

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

For a head coaching opportunity?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,487
  • Days Won:  13

I would be surprised if a DC at any school (not a head coach in waiting) turned down a USF HC job.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4

Firing Leavitt was a HUGE mistake and Holtz is a continuance of that mistake.

Exactly!!!! As so many have pointed out, Leavitt isn't coming back. So we need to move forward with resolving the real issue...Doug Wollard. Fire him please.

Extending Leavitt's contract and then finding a BS reason to fire him was pure idiocy. Then hiring Holtz has been a consistent slide backwards for this program.

At least in the Leavitt days the team was making progress. What so many have forgotten is that this program is still young, expecting a team that new to win a BCS conference is foolish and honestly pure wishful thinking. USF entered the Big East in 2005, they were competitive at a time when the Big East was loaded with other teams that were established for what, 100 years each? Now that the Big East is in Shambles with only a couple of good teams USF can't even beat the lower rung talent, and now loses to Ball State? I long for the days when we played WV when they were highly ranked and knocked them off, or Kansas, or ruined Louisville's BE run. Hell, the year that Rutgers killed our rankings they were kicking along and only managed to win by bunch of trick plays (which I respect them for pulling out all the stops), not to mention that the Bulls were coming off of a big emotional win.

To see all the forward momentum lost is disheartening. As a season ticket holder from the very first day I knew it may take 15 or 20 years before they were a success. I thought we had a chance to hit that number with Jim. But since we don't have him please give us someone better than Holtz!

Edited by tampamark

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

I would be surprised if a DC at any school (not a head coach in waiting) turned down a USF HC job.

I'm sure some would take it but I think there would be some who would be looking for HC job at a Big 5 school ...