• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Official

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

MIT is more of a, "I got in to MIT". He really doesn't want to be that far from home. He hasn't visited Embry Riddle yet. He's going mechanical engineering for his BS and then wants to go aeronautical / aerospace for his graduate degree.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

I am from daytona, embry riddle is a verysolid academic institution, but not a very college fee at all. Just some info

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I originally decommitted from GT to go to USF at the last minute.

10.gif

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

USF is still his first choice

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

MIT is more of a, "I got in to MIT". He really doesn't want to be that far from home. He hasn't visited Embry Riddle yet. He's going mechanical engineering for his BS and then wants to go aeronautical / aerospace for his graduate degree.

These degrees are almost identical with mechanical having a little bit more flexibility and aerospace having more emphasis on fluids and controls. Mech Es are hired all the time for aerospace projects and aerospace hired the do the same jobs as mechanical engineers quite often. In my graduate program in mechanical engineering a few friends are taking some classes from the aerospace department, my friend in aerospace is in my mechanical department class with me this semester. An aerospace friend of mine was offered jobs in the oil and gas industry, and a different friend who majored in mechanical got a job at space X. both can be versatile degrees and electives allow you to narrow or broaden your focus.

I would recommend mechanical however, it's a little more versatile.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Good luck to your child. Have them add Georgia Tech to the list. Great engineering school. Period.

Also, if he goes to any other school, "You are a failure as a parent" (as some on the board might say).

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Hhmmmm, MIT or USF? Never heard of Embry Riddle, where is that? It would be a travesty if he went to UCF, that's probably his last resort school, right?

It's funny you state this.. I am in the computer science and computer engineering department. And I know one student who chose USF over MIT, and my favorite PHd student/TA/teacher/awesome-guy-in-general chose USF over MIT as well. So it happens..

To OP, awesome for your son! He begins a fun journey!

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Kid seems very talented with those choices.... I hope my daughter has the same choices.... good job raising him Apis///