• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Official

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

My son just sent in his application to USF!!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

Congrats!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Exciting, but expensive times. Where else did he apply?

He hasn't yet, but he will probably be applying to UF, UCF, Georgia Tech, Embry Riddle, and MIT. He wanted to get his USF application in early.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Hhmmmm, MIT or USF? Never heard of Embry Riddle, where is that? It would be a travesty if he went to UCF, that's probably his last resort school, right?

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Hhmmmm, MIT or USF? Never heard of Embry Riddle, where is that? It would be a travesty if he went to UCF, that's probably his last resort school, right?

On the east coast, I believe in Daytona. It's a great aviation school.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Embry Riddle is a great aviation school... also a great engineering school for certain speciality areas dealing with aviation.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Embry Riddle is a great aviation school... also a great engineering school for certain speciality areas dealing with aviation.

I have recruited a few software engineers out of there too.. but it is very expensive and unless you are thinking aeronatical engineer, not any better than USF/UCF/FSU/UF at 5x the cost.

Congrats to your son. Considering he has the grades/scores to even consider MIT, I imagine USF will be a free ride should he choose it. I have a close personal friend that attended MIT and for what its worth, I think the experience is second to none if considering engineering. As an example, my senior project at USF worked with a local organization in Tampa on developing some various cryptographic algorithms. It was a lot of fun and I ended up getting a job offer out of it. My MIT friends senior project was a sponsored by NASA, he got three trips to Kennedy to run experiments in the vomit commit, and developed a system that is operational today on the ISS. I love USF, wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but MIT... I couldn't recommend my kid pass that up :)

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

USF > MIT

MIT likes to say that its the USF of the north...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I went to FIT freshman year. At that point was considered the no. 3 engineering school in the country, behind only MIT and Cal Poly. There weren't enough girls there. So I transferred to USF. Fell into high clover. Did some grad work at GT, your son should take a real close look there. All depends on major and what he wants to pusue. Engineering get's highly specialized in school these days. It's really important to look at professors and what their research is geared toward. My nephew holds his Phd. from University of Zurich but attended GT as an Undergrad(Professor at University of washington). Have a brilliant sister who graduated GT as well.If I can help let me know.