• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

HAMMERED. I agree that it's worse than the Death penalty

http://www.freep.com/article/20120723/SPORTS08/120723013/penn-state-ncaa-sanctions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I stand corrected. It appears that Penn State really wasn't in the loop on this. The NCAA is going to get sued, big time.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.chicagotr...0,6965116.story

Wow this is in most ways worse then the death penalty SMU got because it essentially strips PSU of all its history, every victory from 1998 through 2001, all of Paterno's statues, busts, and streets named after him are being removed. Paterno is no longer the winninest coach. PSU can't play in a bowl game for 4 years, they lost 10 scholarships for the next 5 years, and will be under double secret probabtion for 5 years as well.

The Death Penatly against SMU merely restored the program back to its mediocre standing, which is what they would've been had they not been paying players. This is much much worse because this demoralizes and guts Penn State of its mystique, history, and all of the crap that many colleges would kill to have.

You take Paterno and the legacy he built out of Penn State and you have nothing but a hollow shell.

I bet Pitt fans are celebrating in the streets because this one ruling has made Pitt the premiere college football program instantly over night. Hell even when PSU gets off its probabtion 5 years down the road, they will still be a gutted hollow shell and will effectively have to start over from scratch... by that time USF and hell even UCF we will have more tradition, history, and mystique then PSU will have.

This is the nuclear option... makes the death penalty look like a cake walk.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I stand corrected. It appears that Penn State really wasn't in the loop on this. The NCAA is going to get sued, big time.

Who's going to sue? Penn State? "We don't think that WE should be punished so harshly" is that what they would be willing to say? I think not.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

HAMMERED. I agree that it's worse than the Death penalty

http://www.freep.com...-ncaa-sanctions

By perpetuating a “football-first†culture that ultimately enabled serial child sexual abuse to occur, the NCAA today imposed a $60-million sanction on Penn State, which is equivalent to the average gross annual revenue of the football program. These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.

The sanctions also include a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins from 1998 through 2011. The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records. Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. In addition, the NCAA reserves the right to impose additional sanctions on involved individuals at the conclusion of any criminal proceedings.

Effective immediately, the university faces five years of probation.

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692

Penn State penalties: D.A.M.N.

What stands out to me - vacation of all wins by PSU since 1998.

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

http://espn.go.com/c...ins-dating-1998

So does USF's win total get bumped by 1 game?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

No, Penn State vacates the wins. We don't get anything. If we wanted to press the matter, we could probably take off a loss, but is doesn't work that way. We played and we lost.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Who's going to sue? Penn State? "We don't think that WE should be punished so harshly" is that what they would be willing to say? I think not.

Completely agree. Let 'em sue, though, if they won't, but I would bet they don't. Their best bet is to ride this out and rebuild their reputation from the bottom up. Their rep is already in tatters. I think they'll suck it up and take their lumps, but that doesn't mean they won't hem and haw about the legal process a bit along the way.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693

No, Penn State vacates the wins. We don't get anything. If we wanted to press the matter, we could probably take off a loss, but is doesn't work that way. We played and we lost.

I don't know... I believe that once a win is vacated then our loss is also removed and is replaced with "V" or something to show that PSU's win, and our loss was removed.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

This program will take eight to nine years to recover. People will stop showing up for the games when they start getting blown out by the opponents. It will not be fun. The TV viewing will drop and TV will not show the games and opt for others.

Well done NCAA, now go stick it to Miami.

• Upvote 1