• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

Matt Hayes â€@Matt_HayesSN

#NCAA sanctions are #PennSt driven, and accepted by NCAA prez Mark Emmert.

Good to see that the sanctions are coming from PSU.

As I have said repeatedly, the NCAA has no authority in this matter. This is a university decision.

I think, technically, they are NCAA sanctions but just chosen by PSU ... or they could be lieu of NCAA sanctions, since it appears the NCAA signed off on them.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

As I have said repeatedly, the NCAA has no authority in this matter. This is a university decision.

It would seem the NCAA disagrees on that point -- http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/penn-state-paterno-statue/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The investigation happened so quickly because it was already done for them. Penn State has virtually no choice but to accept these sanctions. They absolutely don't want to be seen as trying to get out of this nor do they want the story to stay current with updated status of appeals and new debates.

$30 million may seem unprecedented, but I think it is not nearly enough. If I was on Penn State's board we would be abandoning football tomorrow. Someone in that institution clearly needs to define priorities!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Interesting to see if the penalties are indeed worse than the "death penalty" how they will affect attendance and $$ spent.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I was so close to going here for undergrad instead of USF. Glad I made the right decision. This situation is disgusting

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

It would seem the NCAA disagrees on that point -- http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

The investigation happened so quickly because it was already done for them. Penn State has virtually no choice but to accept these sanctions. They absolutely don't want to be seen as trying to get out of this nor do they want the story to stay current with updated status of appeals and new debates.

$30 million may seem unprecedented, but I think it is not nearly enough. If I was on Penn State's board we would be abandoning football tomorrow. Someone in that institution clearly needs to define priorities!

Pretty sad if you ask me, PSU doesn't get it. How can you play Football with this hanging over your head. Imagine if they would of gone undefeated and won the National Championship...what message are you sending? It should have been PSU self imposing sanctions. I am hoping that is the case.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It would seem the NCAA disagrees on that point -- http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

Of course the NCAA is going to publicly disagree, that is how the game is played. The reality is that Penn State is helping them out because they need to recover their reputation. The NCAA would have a lawsuit on their hands if they tried to institute any penalties unilaterally on this issue. And there is absolutely no way the NCAA decided on the penalties, none whatsoever. Penn State decided on the penalties and told the NCAA what was going to happen, with or without their blessing.

There are the public statements, and then there is reality. The two don't often coincide.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If the NCAA does anything with that money but donate it to the Penn State victims or a victim organization then another crime will have been committed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

NCAA needs to void all 409 of Paterno's victories too.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Penn State penalties: D.A.M.N.

What stands out to me - vacation of all wins by PSU since 1998.

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

Edited by GaUSFBull