• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playoff System?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

they should make it an 8 team playoff...

winner of sec

winner of acc

winner of b10

winner of pac12

winner of BE

winner of mwc

2 @large

seeding determined by current BCS scores.

A system that looks something like this would be great IMO.

I'll make some adjustments.

ACC Champion

SEC Champion

B1G Champion

Pac12 Champion

Big12 Champion

Big East Champion

MWC Champion/Notre Dame (whichever is higher in the BCS rankings)

At-large bid (highest team in BCS rankings not from list above)

And of course seeded based on BCS rankings.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

The Big East will be included just because they can't afford for it not to be.

The reality is that it would only take a majority of FBS schools to remove playoff, television, and bowl issues from the conferences directly. That's one reason why the BE has been able to remain in the BCS. If it ends up just being the SEC, B1G, PAC12, and Big XII every year then all the other FBS schools can gang up and vote to remove the ability to negotiate TV contracts, bowl appearances, etc from the conferences and let the NCAA handle it directly.

As it stands, the BCS auto-bid conferences make up about 68 teams with the Big East involved. Right now the FBS sits at 120 members, but at least four more schools will be joining soon with more to come. That means more need to be included with some type of autobid system or a pissed conference can bolt and decide to vote with all the mid-majors and force a big change.

It is ultimately in the best interest of all the other "BCS auto-bid" conferences for a conference like the BE to get a good TV contract and have some kind of autobid into whatever system is created for the future. The conferences only have the kind of power they do because they were able to get a majority of teams into conferences that had auto-bids. Remove that and restrict the ACC or Big East and you risk the possibility of losing control.

The SEC commish is well aware of this, I'm sure. He knows that the best thing for the SEC is to keep the other BCS conference happy, including the BE. Even four 16 teams superconferences would not be enough.

Truth is, the expansion of the Big East to go along with the SEC expansion and the ACC expansion lets more teams in and keeps the balance weighted towards the SEC, B1G, etc. Boise (really the only consistent mid-major left out of the BCS system), SMU, Houston, SDSU, and Navy all add teams in from outside the current BCS auto-bid system and take the BCS leagues past 70. That protects the conferences.

Once Navy joins, there's also the issue of the Federal Gov't getting interested if they leave to join an auto qualifier and the rug gets pulled out.

I think there'll be a variation on the current system with autobids still. I do tend to agree that the best system would be for eight teams - six to the BCS conferences (SEC, Pac12, B1G, ACC, BE, BXII) and two at large with mid-major conference winners able to qualify if they can meet certain criteria. For instance, if someone wins the new CUSA/MWC conference and is undefeated while doing so and playing and beating at least one BCS conference team then they should automatically get one of the at-large bids.

Or they could just go to a 16 team system, which would be perfectly rational with over 120 teams. The Rose Bowl, Pac12, and B1G are the greatest hindrance.

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

A playoff is only a playoff if all conference champs are invited, like in BBall. Yes, even the SunBelt. Vote in a few wildcards (independent schools have a shot too), and there you have it (16 teams total). Of course, a few of those slots would have to, by definition, go to non-BCS schools and that's what is preventing a playoff system from happening. It's not the amount of money being pulled in, it's who gets to split it up. The BCS now keeps just about all of the big-bowl money among the big conferences with a sniff (or just a chance at a sniff) going to non-BCS schools to keep the anti-trust stuff quiet. At least that's my interpretation. The BigEast bosses were there when the BCS was created and know where all the proverbial bodies are buried, just in case they get shut out -- then an envelope will probably land on the desk of someone in Congress.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

A playoff is only a playoff if all conference champs are invited, like in BBall. Yes, even the SunBelt. Vote in a few wildcards (independent schools have a shot too), and there you have it (16 teams total). Of course, a few of those slots would have to, by definition, go to non-BCS schools and that's what is preventing a playoff system from happening. It's not the amount of money being pulled in, it's who gets to split it up. The BCS now keeps just about all of the big-bowl money among the big conferences with a sniff (or just a chance at a sniff) going to non-BCS schools to keep the anti-trust stuff quiet. At least that's my interpretation. The BigEast bosses were there when the BCS was created and know where all the proverbial bodies are buried, just in case they get shut out -- then an envelope will probably land on the desk of someone in Congress.

+1

• Content Count:  2,019

Will never happen. Too much money to be lost with the change IMO.

I am sure they can work out a system that it will generate more money.

Leave all the smaller bowls around. Include all 11 FBS champs, and 5 at large teams based on BCS rankings, use BCS ranking for seeding as well, that's 16 teams with 12 "BCS Finals" games, as opposed to the current 5 BCS Games.

• Content Count:  1,867

IF this passes, it will likely just be the top 4 BCS-style ranked teams (some combination of computers and polls). 1v4 and 2v3. The idea of the AQ conferences might as well go away for the championship with this format. If this passes the only thing the current "BCS" conferences will be good for it the other (non-championship) bowls.

The real problem to the system is the Rose Bowl doesn't know where it fits in and it sees itself as more important than anything else and it doesn't want to get upstaged.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There is very little chance of this not happening. It is a disaster for the Big East. There will be no more BCS conferences...that's our crutch.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

There will be no more BCS conferences...that's our crutch.

And with the new configuration, that crutch will be made of balsa wood ...

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The problem isnt that we might not be included in a playoff. It's that we'll lose that big bowl tie in we have. Anyone really think any of the current BCS bowls will independently contract with the Big East? Our champ could be playing in a non-new years game...

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Archived