• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playoff System?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

There is very little chance of this not happening. It is a disaster for the Big East. There will be no more BCS conferences...that's our crutch.

Nope. As I've said, if they leave out the Big East then the BE allies with the other non-qualifying conferences in the FBS and removes the ability of all conferences to handle postseason play and TV contracts.

It only takes a simple majority of FBS schools to vote to give TV rights for the postseason to the NCAA and take it away from the conferences while also giving bowl placement to the NCAA. They need to include the Big East, so they need to preserve a high payout bowl for the Big East and give the BE a chance to get into the system.

It's reality when you look at the NCAA structure. They need over 50% of the schools involved in order to allow the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, etc to control that postseason format and the postseason money. They can go it without the BE, but if they do then the scale tips against those conferences and the "have nots" can stage a coup against the "haves" and prevent them from doing anything.

That would allow the NCAA to institute a full blown playoff system, but that'd be a much smaller money maker since they'd skim plenty off the top.

My guess is that the SEC and others will use their weight to force one of the big bowls to take the Big East winner every year unless the MWC/CUSA winner, etc is ranked higher at the end of the year. I'd bet it'll rotate from year to year outside of the Rose Bowl.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

New article on collegefootballtalk.com saying the status quo is gone

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There is very little chance of this not happening. It is a disaster for the Big East. There will be no more BCS conferences...that's our crutch.

Nope. As I've said, if they leave out the Big East then the BE allies with the other non-qualifying conferences in the FBS and removes the ability of all conferences to handle postseason play and TV contracts.

It only takes a simple majority of FBS schools to vote to give TV rights for the postseason to the NCAA and take it away from the conferences while also giving bowl placement to the NCAA. They need to include the Big East, so they need to preserve a high payout bowl for the Big East and give the BE a chance to get into the system.

It's reality when you look at the NCAA structure. They need over 50% of the schools involved in order to allow the SEC, B1G, Pac 12, etc to control that postseason format and the postseason money. They can go it without the BE, but if they do then the scale tips against those conferences and the "have nots" can stage a coup against the "haves" and prevent them from doing anything.

That would allow the NCAA to institute a full blown playoff system, but that'd be a much smaller money maker since they'd skim plenty off the top.

My guess is that the SEC and others will use their weight to force one of the big bowls to take the Big East winner every year unless the MWC/CUSA winner, etc is ranked higher at the end of the year. I'd bet it'll rotate from year to year outside of the Rose Bowl.

Just like the BE wont get raided because the 27 month rule? Or that WVU will have to play in 2012 because of their contract?

The postseason of the NCAA is not decided by the majority. In fact, there can be multiple postseasons as long as the NCAA sanctions. Thys how it was from 95-97 when the Bowl Alliance existed with 4 major conferences, while the Rose Bowl had Big Ten/Pac-10 and everyone else was left to rot.

If you can show me otherwise please provide a link, mine comes from working for an institution that is part of the NCAA.

The Big East isn't getting a bone in this.

The situation lays out like this.

- Top four teams to some sort of playoff. The Big East could win out here.

- if not included in the playoff, Major bowls get to make their own agreement as it was back in the day.

-the Big East has never had a tie in when with the BCS. They likely won't get one after.

- We'll nail down a second tier bowl for our premier game.

- the BCS was the only thing that was keeping us relevant. Take away that auto-bid tag and we're going to struggle.

- Everyone else knows that and is looking to get rid of us.

There are no favors for the Big East in this deal unless we get a team into that top 4. Maybe down the line if they expand the playoffs. Not now though.

This sucks.

Just like the BE wont get raided because the 27 month rule? Or that WVU will have to play in 2012 because of their contract?

The postseason of the NCAA is not decided by the majority. In fact, there can be multiple postseasons as long as the NCAA sanctions. Thys how it was from 95-97 when the Bowl Alliance existed with 4 major conferences, while the Rose Bowl had Big Ten/Pac-10 and everyone else was left to rot.

If you can show me otherwise please provide a link, mine comes from working for an institution that is part of the NCAA.

- if not included in the playoff, Major bowls get to make their own agreement as it was back in the day.

-the Big East has never had a tie in when with the BCS. They likely won't get one after.

- the BCS was the only thing that was keeping us relevant. Take away that auto-bid tag and we're going to struggle.

There are no favors for the Big East in this deal unless we get a team into that top 4. Maybe down the line if they expand the playoffs. Not now though.

This sucks.

Did we get raided? We lost three teams (four if you count TCU) and WVU had to pay extra and get kicked out by us. And two of them didn't fight to leave quickly. We still haven't even heard if they've even tried to negotiate to get out early yet. WVU bought their way out, which actually proves the validity of the 27 month rule. Since they were booted, it still will take a court challenge to get out of it and if a team leaves before it without an agreement then a court could hammer that school. It's a question of whether a school had the stones to stick through it. WVU had enough to gain, but notice that Pitt and Cuse did not enjoin the action - and they could have.

As for the NCAA - they have bowl governance. But they also have the ability to state how much power conferences have. They have given conferences in the FBS more and more power - and that has largely been due to promises of more money.

There was pressure for more inclusion of non-BCS conferences and, guess what? It happened.

If the door is shut outside of the power conferences and there's a large number of them, as stink can be made. And it doesn't hurt to remember that the Big East actually has the most political clout with the Feds (and I don't have the link, but it was something that I read in the Washington Post, IIRC). The Justice Dept has already done some sniffing around the BCS and the threat of that hammer can make some orgs think twice. Of course, the Feds could also pull back funding to the universities and hurt them on the academic side, forcing the university presidents to capitulate.

And there's a Division I issue here, so the FCS schools' who have always felt undervalued and underrepresented could combine with the upset FBS schools and pull a coups on the Executive Committee.

NCAA rules state that if 75 members request a rule override that a rule has to be suspended. Conference allowance of TV revenue and bowl affiliation are NCAA rules and it only requires 75 Division I members to do something. That's FBS and FCS.

A big issue right now if front of the NCAA is academic standards. The FCS schools feel they are held to a higher standard than FBS schools, so many of these power conference teams could get major crackdowns for their graduation rates. That may not help the SEC so much.

Division I may end up splitting for football. Then who knows how the governance will work?

But the power conferences would be wise not to lock out outsiders. And the BE definitely has a strong case to be included if the ACC is. And if they leave both the ACC and the BE out then the whole system falls apart.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

This sucks.

Did we get raided? We lost three teams (four if you count TCU) and WVU had to pay extra and get kicked out by us. And two of them didn't fight to leave quickly. We still haven't even heard if they've even tried to negotiate to get out early yet. WVU bought their way out, which actually proves the validity of the 27 month rule. Since they were booted, it still will take a court challenge to get out of it and if a team leaves before it without an agreement then a court could hammer that school. It's a question of whether a school had the stones to stick through it. WVU had enough to gain, but notice that Pitt and Cuse did not enjoin the action - and they could have.

As for the NCAA - they have bowl governance. But they also have the ability to state how much power conferences have. They have given conferences in the FBS more and more power - and that has largely been due to promises of more money.

There was pressure for more inclusion of non-BCS conferences and, guess what? It happened.

If the door is shut outside of the power conferences and there's a large number of them, as stink can be made. And it doesn't hurt to remember that the Big East actually has the most political clout with the Feds (and I don't have the link, but it was something that I read in the Washington Post, IIRC). The Justice Dept has already done some sniffing around the BCS and the threat of that hammer can make some orgs think twice. Of course, the Feds could also pull back funding to the universities and hurt them on the academic side, forcing the university presidents to capitulate.

And there's a Division I issue here, so the FCS schools' who have always felt undervalued and underrepresented could combine with the upset FBS schools and pull a coups on the Executive Committee.

NCAA rules state that if 75 members request a rule override that a rule has to be suspended. Conference allowance of TV revenue and bowl affiliation are NCAA rules and it only requires 75 Division I members to do something. That's FBS and FCS.

A big issue right now if front of the NCAA is academic standards. The FCS schools feel they are held to a higher standard than FBS schools, so many of these power conference teams could get major crackdowns for their graduation rates. That may not help the SEC so much.

Division I may end up splitting for football. Then who knows how the governance will work?

But the power conferences would be wise not to lock out outsiders. And the BE definitely has a strong case to be included if the ACC is. And if they leave both the ACC and the BE out then the whole system falls apart.

Yes.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Great. Now we are going to have to travel to 2 post season games. First a playoff game as one of the top 4 teams, and then the NC game.

Go Bulls!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18831663/status-quo-is-dead-for-bcs-but-its-up-for-debate-whats-still-alive

PAC-12 does not want just the top four teams, but the top four conference champs. My guess is that may mirror what B1G wants since the PAC-12 usually goes with the B1G. My guess is the ACC would come down on the side of conference champs. Same goes for the Big East. And you know the current non-auto qualifiers will probably come down on the side of conference champs. I think the Big XII is chapped by the fact that Oklahoma State didn't get a shot and they don't want a repeat with the SEC getting more teams in.

This also has to go past the Presidential Oversight Committee. Right now ND and Louisville have seats. So much depends on what ND does and if Louisville sticks with its conference mates. Can we form a bloc with the presidents of Idaho, Western Kentucky, Tulane, Northern Illinois, and New Mexico.

So if they try to shut it out, our conference can partner with the other presidents to create a stalemate - and if ND sticks with us then we can prevent the SEC, B1G, ACC, BXII, and P12 from getting what they want. Any proposal has to get approved by this committee, so a proposal that locks in four conferences will likely not get passed - not without concessions and protections.

And ND wants access to one of those big bowls and has been very willing to tie themselves into the bowls with us. If ND tells the Orange Bowl or whoever that they must take the BE if they even want a chance at ND then we'll get our big tie-in. ND doesn't want to join a football conference but doesn't want independence for other sports. They have no interest in weakening the Big East.

As much as we may not like it, Notre Dame is the Big East's greatest champion when it comes to football despite not being a member.

I think I see a major gang up against the SEC coming. Something that will force the SEC to play stronger out of conference opponents. That care will probably make the SEC open to just conference champs getting a qualification.

My guess is that we'll first see four conference champions in the mix and after a few years that will expand to six teams or even go straight to eight.

Of course, this all means that the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange Bowls will cease being a package. We'll see the networks bidding on each bowl and then a big bid for the playoff system.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

FYI per cynopsis media:

"With BCS revisionary talks underway, analysts are valuing a potential playoff system to be worth between $600 million to $1.5 billion per year, according to ESPN. Currently, the BCS model draws $125 million per year from ESPN for the national championship, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl. The Rose Bowl's deal with ABC brings in another $30 million per year.With BCS revisionary talks underway, analysts are valuing a potential playoff system to be worth between $600 million to $1.5 billion per year, according to ESPN. Currently, the BCS model draws $125 million per year from ESPN for the national championship, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl. The Rose Bowl's deal with ABC brings in another $30 million per year."

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

if the answer is conference champions... ND will be FORCED to join a conference... i don't see a way out for ND at that point.

Archived