• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playoff System?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

All conference champs in D-1 should have a shot at the crown; sorry SEC but if you don't win the SEC you don't get in

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Unless I'm mistaken, the NCAA does not sanction bowl games. That is why the "National Champion" is not the NCAA champion.

http://www.ncaa.com/

Go to men's sports; football; FBS; you'll see no championship info. You go to FCS, D2, D3, you'll see championship info. If anyone thinks that the B1G, will go with the Pac10 over the SEC is fooling themselves. Slive and Delaney are running the show. The rest of "us" better expect the worst, but hope for the best. JMHO

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

if the answer is conference champions... ND will be FORCED to join a conference... i don't see a way out for ND at that point.

Doubtful. There'll be a ND exception that will put them into the playoff if they rank higher than one of the conference champions that would qualify. When you look at the structure of the Presidential Oversight Committee, the group that has to approve any new BCS system, it is obvious that ND is the swing vote.

Each conference gets an equal vote and ND gets their own. Plenty of power that they won't want to give up. They also likely would have quite a bit of influence over the BE member (Louisville). Even if the Ville sides with the other BCS conferences, if ND holds out and sticks with the mid-majors then there is a split.

Anything that gets through has to have solid approval from the major conferences and the minor conferences. If not, a fragmented system gets re-established. And that may happen yet if the SEC tries to hard to push for multiple berths for itself. They are a big conference, but only once vote. The B1G and PAC-12 are always together in a bloc and the Big XII got screwed by the multiple SEC berths in the title game this year. The other major conferences would be concerned about this because right now it appears most likely that the SEC would be the one to get two spots, taking the place of another major conference.

Much depends on how hard line the SEC wants to be. If they want multiple berths then the field would need to be larger - but I'm not sure that's something other conferences want. Though the smaller conferences would because it would increase their chances of getting in. Same goes for Notre Dame.

We know that status quo is gone, but what will replace it is up in the air.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Unless I'm mistaken, the NCAA does not sanction bowl games. That is why the "National Champion" is not the NCAA champion.

http://www.ncaa.com/

Go to men's sports; football; FBS; you'll see no championship info. You go to FCS, D2, D3, you'll see championship info. If anyone thinks that the B1G, will go with the Pac10 over the SEC is fooling themselves. Slive and Delaney are running the show. The rest of "us" better expect the worst, but hope for the best. JMHO

The NCAA is the one that approves bowl games. However, they don't control affiliation or placement in those games. The NCAA has delegated that power to the conferences, but it also has the power to take that power back. The issue is that Division I is one body, so the FCS schools get votes on this. A majority of DI schools voting to remove the power from conferences to negotiate postseason appearances is all it takes to remove that power from the conferences. But that's not an easy thing to do - unless enough schools in FBS and FCS feel that it's too lopsided to a couple conferences.

The SEC is only 14 teams in a very large DI. There already is an issue between FCS and FBS as the FCS schools are upset that they are held to higher academic standards than the FBS schools. There's a process underway to either split Division I or crackdown on the academic side for sports. If that happens, a lot of SEC teams will be banned from bowl play and stripped of scholarships due to poor academic records. It would happen throughout much of the FBS. There hasn't been much reporting on that, but the executive committee of the NCAA is working on that,

The PAC-12 generally says the things the B1G does not want to publicly say. While the B1G is the second most likely conference to get two bids, they also could get shut out if the SEC or someone else gets two. Reality is that only once conference right now would probably benefit year-to-year from multiple bids and that is the SEC.

But the SEC and B1G are only 2 of 12 votes on the Presidential Oversight Committee. They cannot push anything through. They can leave and break up the BCS entirely, but then the possibility of the other schools ganging up on them at the NCAA level becomes very real. 75 votes are what is needed to force a rule or policy review. The FCS is getting chapped at the preferential treatment of the FBS and the smaller conferences getting left out could all lead to them ganging up on the SEC, B1G, etc and force major rule changes on how bowls are created, who qualifies, and how money can be taken in by conferences.

The SEC has to tiptoe or it will incite a war. It may have great football and earn lots of money, but that creates jealousy and unhappiness. If enough schools decide to, the SEC and all conferences can be stripped of their power and an independent body could be set up to distribute money and make bowl selections. I doubt it will get to that, but the SEC and B1G cannot simply dictate terms. If they try, they may lose much more than they could ever gain.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Did we get raided?

Dude, Are you even paying attention? We got MUGGED... DESTROYED.... EVISCERATED...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

if the answer is conference champions... ND will be FORCED to join a conference... i don't see a way out for ND at that point.

Even if they don't get an exception, no way they join the Newest Big East ...

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Yeah. B10 imo.

• Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

I hate the take the top 4 idea. All that does is potentially piss off #5 and 6 saying they should've been higher

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

This would be very easy if they took conference champions. Not rocket science. That makes EVERYONE happy. Use BCS scores to determine seeding.

Archived