• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Indoor practice fieldhouse

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I drove by campus on Sunday, and it appears that they are removing the basketball hoops from the public basketball courts right outside of the Track Stadium, which is where the Indoor Facility is supposed to be built. Anyone have any info as to whether the removal of the hoops are an indication that they are moving along with the Indoor Facility?

Or maybe just that fact that they some of them were missing actual hoops and the court is full of pot holes. Could just be they are repaving and improving the courts.

If that is the case, that would be quite unfortunate. I've been wanting them to get rid of those courts for years. They need to move those courts to somewhere else on campus, closer to the dorms.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

think they are using 'multi purpose' to try to secure some state funding?

I doubt USF could get state funding without opening it up for use by the general student population.

When USF practiced at the University of Toronto, for the International Bowl, they had a very nice multi purpose indoor facility, but that was more of a bubble type. It was very nice.

http://physical.utor...ity_Centre.aspx

UToronto opens it up for student recreation, so if we did something similar we might get the state to pay for some of it:

One of the largest of its kind in Canada, the air-supported dome covers the entire field.

Erected during the winter months, the dome greatly increases playing time throughout the year.

The dome has had the biggest impact on U of T’s intramural programs, offering space for a number of wait-listed teams in a range of sports, including indoor soccer, field hockey, ultimate Frisbee, flag football, cricket and lacrosse.

It has also significantly expanded practice hours for Varsity Blues track and field, football, field hockey, soccer, lacrosse and rugby teams.

Community outreach has also been enhanced by the dome, which has expanded the Junior Blues program and created a driving range for golfers looking for an off-season practice space.

http://physical.utor...tions/Dome.aspx

I doubt we have anything like the U of Toronto dome. I have a number of family members who went there. Their endowment (and likely their donor base) is much larger than ours.

Not only that, but they built their stadium to hold a lot more-cricket has larger pitches than any other field-based sport I know of, and it easily dwarfs a football field.

I'm not sure we can expect any state support regardless. UF hates us and you just saw this spring how much power they wield.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  0

It's a shame that USF can't do something cool that FSU is doing with their facility.

FSU's facility won't be anywhere near the nicest out there, but it's gonna be pretty dang nice.

The cool thing they're doing:

The building is going to butt up against the 3rd base line of the baseball stadium and will have a giant stained glass Seminole head logo on it that will light up at night time. It's going to look awesome at night games during baseball season up there.

FSU originally had plans of making it bigger so more sports could utilize it, but it was substantially more expensive, so they cut the budget and design.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I don't think a stained glass Seminole head would look good at our baseball stadium

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's a shame that USF can't do something cool that FSU is doing with their facility.

FSU's facility won't be anywhere near the nicest out there, but it's gonna be pretty dang nice.

The building is going to butt up against the 3rd base line of the baseball stadium and will have a giant stained glass Seminole head logo on it that will light up at night time. It's going to look awesome at night games during baseball season up there.

FSU originally had plans of making it bigger so more sports could utilize it, but it was substantially more expensive, so they cut the budget and design.

They better be ready to replace that glass quite often. LOL

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

They better be ready to replace that glass quite often. LOL

Or make it out of baseball-proof glass...

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I drove by campus on Sunday, and it appears that they are removing the basketball hoops from the public basketball courts right outside of the Track Stadium, which is where the Indoor Facility is supposed to be built. Anyone have any info as to whether the removal of the hoops are an indication that they are moving along with the Indoor Facility?

Or maybe just that fact that they some of them were missing actual hoops and the court is full of pot holes. Could just be they are repaving and improving the courts.

If that is the case, that would be quite unfortunate. I've been wanting them to get rid of those courts for years. They need to move those courts to somewhere else on campus, closer to the dorms.

Walked by there today. They've resurfaced the entire court and have installed some new goalposts (no backboards yet)

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Walked by there today. They've resurfaced the entire court and have installed some new goalposts (no backboards yet)

Awful decision to me. Oh well. Thanks for the update.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Awful decision to me. Oh well. Thanks for the update.

Man,

A lot of people are jumping the gun on this.

Woolard mentioned that an indoor practice facility is NEXT on the list, he didn't say that they are already or about to start it.

It takes a while to come up with the plans AND THE FUNDS to build a new facility. I think people might be comparing it to the golf building, but that one had a particular donor willing to shell out the $$$ to get it started NOW (perhaps partially to be able see his son using it)

Woolard just mentioned the indoor building being next on April. As Greg Aumen said in his article:

"Such a facility, done the right way, would likely cost in the neighborhood of $14 million, and Woolard and his staff are now challenged with raising the funds to make that happen" That may take a couple of years given our economy (which hurts donor support)

They need to know how much money they will get before they can start planning the building, much less start breaking ground on it. In the mean time, they aren't going to let a particular portion of land, especially one as visible and used, as the basketball courts just get run down. It doesn't cost too much to keep it maintained, given that there's current budgets lines for such issues.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

After the indoor facility... is there anything left outside of a football stadium...?