• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

10 points on two possesions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Those were 10 points OU was not supposed to have. Like a key pick 6 in football, sometimes it is all a team needs to seal the win. With our control of possessions and pace of the game, those were essentially 10 free points for OU, that likely wouldnt have happened if not for those fouls. I will give them the shirt tug foul, as it happened right in front of the ref and has been called all year. I dont agree with the penatly a team gets for this foul, but calling it was the right thing for the ref. The hanging on the rim allows for more discretion and I think the ref made the wrong call. His momentum was clear and he was swinging, not hanging, which is completely different. It is a safety vs a showboating issue, and the ref got it wrong.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

They absolutely need to amend the jersey tugging technical foul rule. It is beyond the pale idiotic, considering how beat up AC got during this tournament and those were just personal fouls. I know we got the benefit of the call once during the Temple game, but it's still a ridiculous rule.

The reasoning behind the rule is probably similar to the Horse Collar Rule in football. You pull a basketball player'd jersey from behind and the potential is there for the momentum to pull him straight backward and down on his back, with the possibility of hitting hi head on the floor unimpeded.

Hmm ... I just don't see it. At least the two times in this tournament I saw it called the player being grabbed was in no danger of that happening. It's considerably different in football, too, because they're grabbing pads that are under the jersey and physically strapped to the player. A jersey has quite a bit of give and stretch to it, but it doesn't seem to be enough to have a "rubber band" effect that would cause that kind of injury.

I'd love to see an official rulebook explanation on it.

Just an hypothesis on my part .... It's rare, but I have been wrong before.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Bullman,

The "shirt tug" has not been called "All year" like that.

By the letter of the law the call was correct, by the spirit it was way, way off.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

violation, why not just throw a chair at him. That would have received a lesser penalty,

• Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

I have seen the shirt tug foul called several times this year across college bball, which I dont ever remember seeing it called or at least so often and every time I am perplexed at the severity of the penalty.

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

The shirt tug by the letter of the law was called correctly but I think it is a rather extreme call. In a later play you can see anOhio player, Baltic tug on Collins jersey during a fast break, which is an instance when it should be called.

Regarding the Poland technical foul; it was kind of questionable since he was coming from the wing. In most cases I would expect the player to hang on the rim a little bit to control their descent.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryId=2459792&id=7707289

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Shirt tug was created to prevent guys going for layups/Dunks from being yanked an opposite way. Since the NCAA got rid of the intentional foul (which is what it is) it's considered "flagrant"

Whatever happened, we still had a chance to win the game, and we didn't hit shots, while Ohio did.

Exciting game

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Poland hanging on the rim stole all of USFs momentum. Cooper exploded from there.
That looked like a tough call to me... he caught the ball a little behind him and was thus leaning back as he made the dunk. If he doesn't hang on to the rim there he has a hard time coming down clean, his momentum would have landed him on his back. It was a bad call in my opinion... and in a game like this one no official worth anything makes... if you feel it was that bad you issue a couple of warnings.
Poland hanging on the rim stole all of USFs momentum. Cooper exploded from there.
That looked like a tough call to me... he caught the ball a little behind him and was thus leaning back as he made the dunk. If he doesn't hang on to the rim there he has a hard time coming down clean, his momentum would have landed him on his back. It was a bad call in my opinion... and in a game like this one no official worth anything makes... if you feel it was that bad you issue a couple of warnings.
Finally, someone who saw what I saw.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Those were 10 points OU was not supposed to have.

In reality it was 4 points they shouldn't have had. We don't know what they would have done on the possessions they had without the fouls.

• Content Count:  9

Had no problem with the officals. Saw several games over the 4 days and our game really was no different than any other I watched. Simply put we win this game if 2 things happen ;

1.) Ohio doesent get lucky and get in their "zone" and hits the 3 with a 50% success rate.

2.) USF stays with the 1st half success and works the ball in the paint for easy % shots. USF was looking for the 3 point shot they had in the 1st half of the" play in" game with Cal and the 2nd half game with Temple. If either of these work and they still go 50% with their 3's we still win with our ablity to out rebound them which we were able to do.

Archived