• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

10 points on two possesions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

On that Collins play, T was pulling the jersey of an Ohio player and it wasn't called.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Exactly. U can grab the player by the arm to stop him and it's just a personal foul, but if you grab him by the jersey it's a flagrant foul and possession. That's just dumb.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Both calls were completely ridiculous. The jersey thing should have been a normal foul.

The technical was just stupid. Refs have obviously never dunked before. He caught the ball behind him, dunked it, got his legs back, then jumped down, making no fuss about it. If he would have screamed, hollered, thrown his hands up afterwards and made a big deal about it, fine. But he didnt. There was no reason to make that call. These are the things that make basketball seem rigged to me. Honestly. Not just tonight. This entire tournament has had beyond questionable refereeing.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

If he would have screamed, hollered, thrown his hands up afterwards and made a big deal about it, fine. But he didnt.

He hollered. Watch the replay. I'm sure that didn't help his case.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Both calls were completely ridiculous. The jersey thing should have been a normal foul.

The technical was just stupid. Refs have obviously never dunked before. He caught the ball behind him, dunked it, got his legs back, then jumped down, making no fuss about it. If he would have screamed, hollered, thrown his hands up afterwards and made a big deal about it, fine. But he didnt. There was no reason to make that call. These are the things that make basketball seem rigged to me. Honestly. Not just tonight. This entire tournament has had beyond questionable refereeing.

Agreed 100%.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

They absolutely need to amend the jersey tugging technical foul rule. It is beyond the pale idiotic, considering how beat up AC got during this tournament and those were just personal fouls. I know we got the benefit of the call once during the Temple game, but it's still a ridiculous rule.

The hanging on the rim though, I guess the NCAA just treats that like a "celebration" penalty in football. I think most would agree that it's stupid. Not like he climbed up and stood on top of the rim.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

They absolutely need to amend the jersey tugging technical foul rule. It is beyond the pale idiotic, considering how beat up AC got during this tournament and those were just personal fouls. I know we got the benefit of the call once during the Temple game, but it's still a ridiculous rule.

The reasoning behind the rule is probably similar to the Horse Collar Rule in football. You pull a basketball player'd jersey from behind and the potential is there for the momentum to pull him straight backward and down on his back, with the possibility of hitting hi head on the floor unimpeded.

• Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

The reasoning behind the rule is probably similar to the Horse Collar Rule in football. You pull a basketball player'd jersey from behind and the potential is there for the momentum to pull him straight backward and down on his back, with the possibility of hitting hi head on the floor unimpeded.

How's that any different than grabbing him by the arm? All those things are just as likely to happen.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hmm ... I just don't see it. At least the two times in this tournament I saw it called the player being grabbed was in no danger of that happening. It's considerably different in football, too, because they're grabbing pads that are under the jersey and physically strapped to the player. A jersey has quite a bit of give and stretch to it, but it doesn't seem to be enough to have a "rubber band" effect that would cause that kind of injury.

I'd love to see an official rulebook explanation on it.

Archived