• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Josh Heath PG Tampa Prep

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

Couldn't he walk on instead of using a scholly? Just wondering.

Yeah he could, but I think he's going to be on scholarship

I thought coaches and professors' kids could go to school for free?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

If Heath is inclined to play his son, Josh, just because he's related by consanguinity, then why didn't he give his other kid, Jordan, more playing time when he was here at USF? I think we'll be fine recruiting PG's.

I believe it's called Instanbul these days.
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

It looks like the USF/FSU game sealed the deal. From today's Trib:

TAMPA --

Tampa Prep senior Josh Heath, the starting point guard last season's Class 3A state title team, announced Monday he has made a verbal commitment to the University of South Florida.

Heath is the son of USF head coach Stan Heath, who recently signed a contract extension through the 2017-18 season.

Heath, 6-foot-2 and 165 pounds, led the Terrapins to a 31-1 record last season, averaging 12.4 points and 7.1 assists per game. He also had 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals per outing.

Heath said the fact that his father is USF's coach definitely worked in the Bulls' favor. But he said his official visit to USF last weekend, which included attending USF's football game against Florida State on Saturday night at a sold-out Raymond James Stadium, convinced him USF was the right decision.

''In the back of my mind, I was probably always leaning toward USF,'' Heath said. ''But the visit really made it clear that's where I should be. Just hanging out with the players, hanging out with them on the campus, meeting administrators and going to the football game - it was just a great experience.''

Heath had about a dozen other scholarship/financial aid offers, including Jacksonville, Lehigh, East Carolina and Princeton.

Terrapins coach Joe Fenlon said that because Heath is an honors student at Tampa Prep, Ivy League schools such as Princeton had a strong appeal. However, it was also attractive to play in the Big East for his father, who last season led the Bulls to the third round of the NCAA tournament.

Stan Heath had been offering his son a scholarship for months but also knew of his interest in an Ivy League education, Fenlon said.

''It had to be a tough dynamic at the dinner table,'' Fenlon said. ''But having coached my son (Conner), I can tell you there's nothing like it. Although it can be nerve-wracking, there's nothing like looking in a huddle and seeing your son in there. I think it will be extremely rewarding for both of them to have this opportunity.''

http://www2.tbo.com/news/usf-bulls/2012/oct/01/4/tampa-preps-health-verbally-commits-to-play-for-da-ar-518579/

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I think it seems kind of biased offering his own son a scholarship.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

Well at least one coach could land a commit from their kid :D

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Josh Heath commits to USF

Tampa Prep PG Josh Heath, who helped lead the Terrapins to their first state title in March, has committed to USF, where he'll play for his dad.

Terps coach Joe Fenlon announced this morning that Heath had settled on the Bulls following his official visit over the weekend, which included a trip to the USF-FSU football game. He had between 15-20 offers, Fenlon said, including Lehigh, the University of North Florida, Jacksonville and some Ivy League interest.

Stanford hadn't offered yet but was "calling regularly," Fenlon added.

"He just had a great time with some of the other kids (the Bulls) were recruiting last weekend," Fenlon said. "I think it's going to be a good situation. You get to play big-time basketball in your hometown."

The younger of Stan Heath's two sons, Josh averaged 12.4 points and 7.1 assists as a junior for Tampa Prep (31-1), which topped Weston Sagemont in the Class 3A title game to give Fenlon his first state championship after 29 seasons at the school.

He shined in the semifinals -- a 56-50 overtime win against Jacksonville Providence -- with a 21--point effort that included a 4-for-6 free-throw effort and reverse layup down the stretch. He totaled 15 points, eight assists and seven boards in the final.

http://www.tampabay....mits-usf/15026/

I am from Weston and lived like 5 minutes from Sagemont.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

I think it seems kind of biased offering his own son a scholarship.

How so? The kid isn't garbage and can be a solid backup

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

Josh maybe one of the reasons we got perry

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

That would be cool if he were to walk-on instead. His Dad does make millions and is the coach but it won't happen, it would free up a scholly and it would be like having an extra good solid player as a back-up.